Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Sorry didnt read all the posts. No I dont think the age should be lowered. 13 isnt old enough to make that kind of decision. But that really isnt a fair example since gay marriage is between two consenting adults, not kids.
But wait, Nea1, don't write this off so quick. What I'm telling you is that based on the link I provided, and in my scenario, if there is data that supports that the 13 year old is capable of making that decision then we are talking about censenting adults here.

What I am saying is if they can't help it, and they are consenting then you have to carry the same reasons you are for gay marriage over into that and say yes.

Otherwise, you are saying exactly what we are and that, IN YOUR OPINION, it'd be wrong.

What I am saying is that is the natural progression from this being accepted and state condoned.

You are getting caught up on the way the example offends your mind and who you are...and you should be!!...but that's the same offense we feel about homosexual marriage. It goes against what we beleive as my example goes against what you and I both believe.

Am I making any sense or am I losing my train of thought. These discussions are difficult to type...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i dont know who you are asking about Episcopal church, i dont see anyone saying anythign about them and no not all of them are doing it but the ones who are going against the word of God and should be kicked out if they do not repent(and fellow believers--if they are believers, should know that the bible is clear about chastising your brothers and sisters in the faith when they go against the teachings of Christ and his word.

When I asked if the Episcopal Church didn't accept homosexuality someone posted that the Episcopal Church was heretical. I believe that type of "My God is better than your God" argument has caused, does cause, and will cause more problems in society than gay marriage ever will.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
right burdell and that is your opinion, and mine is that it certain should be there still as it had been considered for millenia and only removed after hard debate, research, peer review(all of what we do in the Mental Health/Pschology field) and through the long scientific method, not by social activism and intimidation or personal feeling. That is why we had to vote against gay marriage because it was being pushed on a society with no hard research or hard facts that it is not still a deviant behavior or rather homosexuality is genetic or not. they still have not proven one way or another, so the states which voted against it had the right idea, of course in my opinion and 70% of the population. the other 30% respectfully have their own opinion

Old 04-26-2007, 09:00 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Nea1 i dont know what your fight is about, i am here to discuss things and not fight but it seems others think that discussion is about "I hate your opinion so I am going to Hate you and tell you your opinion is wrong". All I am saying is, I believe and have opinions and you and others have opposing ones--no problem for me as long as we understand that discussions doesnt mean that we are going to force others to believe as we do--if they do that would be great, but fighting to win some debate is futile when their are opinions and beliefs"

If I post to you or you to me, or i say one thing about something you may have said, doesnt mean i am bringing you into anything, maybe i am praising you or agreeing with you. but if you wish me not to then cool, but I would ask that you dont post to me either or mention my name.
I dont care if you post to me, that is fine that wasnt the point, but if you wanr I wont post to you anymore that is fine. I wasnt fighting with you, I just didnt understand why my name was brought into it, and no you were not praising me. I dont hate you or your views, dont understand but dont hate.
So put me on ignore and you wont see my posts. I will try not to respond to you other than this one. Sorry,

Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 AM

burdell, I dont really understand your point since Episcopalian are supposedly Christians at last I check and if they are they have the same God as the rest of us Christians, therefore its not about "My God your God" that would be more clear in say--Muslims and Christians or Muslims and Buddhists or Budhist and Hindus.
So, i dont know why you addressed it to me since I never mentioned the Episcopals. The Episcopals are debating among themselves between the ones who follow Gods word and those who make up alternative views based on their personal views and desires, splitting the church--but I dont think they or any others are saying they have Another God.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 AM

thanks Nea1 i think that is best since you will not see my point of view that ALL the posts are about personal opinions not about trying to make people accept your or my point of view.

and NO, i didnt say that I was praising you, see it is not even misunderstanding it is misreading all together. But I think it is best, and I respect and thank you for it.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
right burdell and that is your opinion, and mine is that it certain should be there still as it had been considered for millenia and only removed after hard debate, research, peer review(all of what we do in the Mental Health/Pschology field) and through the long scientific method, not by social activism and intimidation or personal feeling. That is why we had to vote against gay marriage because it was being pushed on a society with no hard research or hard facts that it is not still a deviant behavior or rather homosexuality is genetic or not. they still have not proven one way or another, so the states which voted against it had the right idea, of course in my opinion and 70% of the population. the other 30% respectfully have their own opinion

The manual of mental illnesses exixted for millenia?

What I question was "hard debate, research, and peer review" actually required for entry in yhe book or only opinions? And even if so, if as you say it was in the book forever what basis did we really have so long ago when we knew nothibg of genetics? And were not many mental conditions that we now know have chemical/organic causes once attributed to 'demons'?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:20 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
But wait, Nea1, don't write this off so quick. What I'm telling you is that based on the link I provided, and in my scenario, if there is data that supports that the 13 year old is capable of making that decision then we are talking about censenting adults here.

What I am saying is if they can't help it, and they are consenting then you have to carry the same reasons you are for gay marriage over into that and say yes.

Otherwise, you are saying exactly what we are and that, IN YOUR OPINION, it'd be wrong.

What I am saying is that is the natural progression from this being accepted and state condoned.

You are getting caught up on the way the example offends your mind and who you are...and you should be!!...but that's the same offense we feel about homosexual marriage. It goes against what we beleive as my example goes against what you and I both believe.

Am I making any sense or am I losing my train of thought. These discussions are difficult to type...

I have never seen a 13 year old capable of making that decision. I have 13 year olds, they cant even pull up their pants!!!! I am not offended, in many cultures it is acceptable, now would I go there and tell them I think it is wrong, no, not my business. Marriage has been around ALOT longer than the Bible. The bible doesnt own marriage. See my 13 year old daughter marrying a 40 year old man would affect me and my family and I would make them wait till see was older and still had those feelings, to adult gay people getting married has no affect on me, I wont ever meet 99% of them or even have a knowledge of them. But really I dont see genes telling people at what specific age to love. But let me ask you this, since you are against gay marriage, (they can do unions on there own that are not legal.) But they have NO protection. Would you be Ok with allowing the laws that protect us in marriage to extend to civil unions as well?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
burdell, I dont really understand your point since Episcopalian are supposedly Christians at last I check and if they are they have the same God as the rest of us Christians, therefore its not about "My God your God" that would be more clear in say--Muslims and Christians or Muslims and Buddhists or Budhist and Hindus.
So, i dont know why you addressed it to me since I never mentioned the Episcopals. The Episcopals are debating among themselves between the ones who follow Gods word and those who make up alternative views based on their personal views and desires, splitting the church--but I dont think they or any others are saying they have Another God.

Sorry for the confusion, wasn't directed at you personally. Briefly here's what happened:

Someone posted the country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles.

I questioned did not the Episcopal Church accept homosexuality?

Someone stated the Episcopal Church was heretical.

I was just trying to explain why when I see so much dissension between different branches of Christianity it's difficult for me to accept one branch's view as a basis for law.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Before we relied on Gods word, and now people have thrown out God and replaced it with public opinion and feelings, therefore we dont even use scientific method, we skip it, and go right to what is "cool".

And it was homosexuality believed to be a deviant social behavior for millenia, not in the book for millenia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies