Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
What did you expect?

A public forum (you-tube), is going to get a public response. (many times based on other comments or just the title of the video - you don't have to watch to comment).

It's as American as American Idol or the National Inquirer - watch me, judge me, praise me, embarrass me.

12 or 102, you've open the door, for those that agree, disagree or just want to be Simon.

But, why are they there if they are 12?

You-tube Ability to Accept Terms of Service

You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in these Terms of Service, and to abide by and comply with these Terms of Service. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13, as the YouTube Website is not intended for children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use the YouTube Website. There are lots of other great web sites for you. Talk to your parents about what sites are appropriate for you.

Which begs the question, is he an emancipated minor (unlikely at 12), or did he "possess legal parental or guardian consent?" To put your child at the mercy of millions of people is unconscionable. There was a case in Missouri where a 13 year-old girl committed suicide because a "friend's" mother had created a fake profile and befriended the girl, then one day just turned and told her that she'd be "better off dead." She hung herself.
IMHO, this has more to do with the judgment of the parents and less to do
with a child professing his beliefs. At 12, a person is only 4 or 5 years past
the stage when the ability to be logical is developed. Clearly the You Tube
terms of service were violated, and the child is now subject to pubic humiliation, anger, and the responses of those who use the computer to act out, to shock, to feed some inner need to be hateful. Many of the crude and threatening responses have to do with those issues, although I'm sure that some of the anti-Christian responses were genuine. In this case I suspect that the parents need a spanking; to place your child in peril in any way speaks volumes about Simon's home life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,108 times
WorldNetDaily?

Anyway, it's Youtube, folks. If you don't want to be offended by comments to your videos, you can very easily disable comments or not upload the videos there at all. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, there is a "Youtube" type website catered specifically for Christians.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:57 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Thanks - plannine said it right for both of us I think
I tried to.....

Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
Which begs the question, is he an emancipated minor (unlikely at 12), or did he "possess legal parental or guardian consent?" To put your child at the mercy of millions of people is unconscionable. There was a case in Missouri where a 13 year-old girl committed suicide because a "friend's" mother had created a fake profile and befriended the girl, then one day just turned and told her that she'd be "better off dead." She hung herself.
IMHO, this has more to do with the judgment of the parents and less to do
with a child professing his beliefs. At 12, a person is only 4 or 5 years past
the stage when the ability to be logical is developed. Clearly the You Tube
terms of service were violated, and the child is now subject to pubic humiliation, anger, and the responses of those who use the computer to act out, to shock, to feed some inner need to be hateful. Many of the crude and threatening responses have to do with those issues, although I'm sure that some of the anti-Christian responses were genuine. In this case I suspect that the parents need a spanking; to place your child in peril in any way speaks volumes about Simon's home life.
I hope the authorities look into this and do something to those people who told this 12 yr old to kill himself. It is more hateful than that mom who pretended to be the boy online. there are numerous people telling this kid to kill himself. Yet if they were to post a homo video how dare anyone stop their freedom of speech.
Yes the parents should know what the kid is up to but than again he is clearly 12 and the hate posters and kill your self posters how many of them are adults?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
WorldNetDaily?

Anyway, it's Youtube, folks. If you don't want to be offended by comments to your videos, you can very easily disable comments or not upload the videos there at all. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, there is a "Youtube" type website catered specifically for Christians.
So you are saying it is ok to say to a non homosexual " your a Fing homo go kill your self" Yet we cannot say that to a homosexual other wise it is a hate crime.
Well I feel this is on the fringe of being a hate crime but from the homosexuals/lesbians towards a heterosexual.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,726 times
You have people on You Tube that are morons, and it's not isolated to once political party, belief, religion, etc. People say what they never would say in person because there are no ramifications for it, and it can turn the internet into a pretty classless place.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:29 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
So you are saying it is ok to say to a non homosexual " your a Fing homo go kill your self" Yet we cannot say that to a homosexual other wise it is a hate crime.
Well I feel this is on the fringe of being a hate crime but from the homosexuals/lesbians towards a heterosexual.
You're forgetting, these people are idiots, just like so many on this forum who have no problem saying what they feel because they're anonymous. There are idiots absolutely everywhere, doesn't matter what political affiliation you are, hate knows no boundaries.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You're forgetting, these people are idiots, just like so many on this forum who have no problem saying what they feel because they're anonymous. There are idiots absolutely everywhere, doesn't matter what political affiliation you are, hate knows no boundaries.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
You have people on You Tube that are morons, and it's not isolated to once political party, belief, religion, etc. People say what they never would say in person because there are no ramifications for it, and it can turn the internet into a pretty classless place.
Yes it can.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:58 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
No, they're not equal at all. In both cases, children were manipulated by adults. The young woman in
Missouri is dead. Simon is safe at home, albeit traumatized and fearful. As karfar, Packersnut21 and I have all stated, there are disturbed people on the internet, people who will post just to "flame," people who feel free to act out in socially unacceptable ways. Just as it is here at C-D, few adults
want to engage in inflammatory discussions and would avoid commenting. Assuming that every negative post was actually made by a gay or lesbian person omits the very large community of posters that we've been trying to single out for others to recognize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies