Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:55 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The word "messiah," as applied to Obama, was invented by the right wing. Nobody I know who voted for Obama thinks, or ever thought, of him as a "messiah." Sorry you're disappointed.
Exactly. Very true. I have never heard of Democrats calling him their Savior or Messiah.

Quote:
Frankly, early on in the campaign, I was put off by all that adoration. I'm too old to buy into adoring anybody. Over time, however, I came to a couple of realizations:

1) Obama can't really be held responsible for the reactions of people who put all their hopes in his candidacy;
2) That reaction was probably an overdetermined response to a very real exhaustion with the Bush years, and a very real fear that the nation's security was at risk with a McCain/Palin administration;
3) A close acquaintance of mine is actually a longtime friend of Obama's, and I asked for his opinion, told him to give the Obama story to me straight. His response was that Obama has more integrity than just about anybody he's ever met or worked with. Since my acquaintance is a person of unimpeachable integrity, and I trust his honesty, I saw no reason not to believe him where Obama is concerned.
Odd you say that. I have a sociology professor whose friend went to college with Obama. My professor said she also asked her friend what was up with Obama and her friend replied "Haha. I can still remember him smoking his cigs and me and him having a good time. He's a really good man. He had big dreams and cared greatly for people. "

So glad he is in office. There was a great risk if McCain/Palin had won. Big time. And yes, there was fear of the long eight years of failure from the Bush admin.

PS-My professor told me that her friend is inviting Obama over for lunch whenever he is in the area. She said she would let me know IF (crosses my fingers) it happens. She took down my email and phone number in case it happens when I am not longer her student. Imagine me having lunch with Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Exactly. Very true. I have never heard of Democrats calling him their Savior or Messiah.

Odd you say that. I have a sociology professor whose friend went to college with Obama. My professor said she also asked her friend what was up with Obama and her friend replied "Haha. I can still remember him smoking his cigs and me and him having a good time. He's a really good man. He had big dreams and cared greatly for people. "

So glad he is in office. There was a great risk if McCain/Palin had won. Big time. And yes, there was fear of the long eight years of failure from the Bush admin.

PS-My professor told me that her friend is inviting Obama over for lunch whenever he is in the area. She said she would let me know IF (crosses my fingers) it happens. She took down my email and phone number in case it happens when I am not longer her student. Imagine me having lunch with Obama.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Ha! Ahhh, that is just so clever, you people calling him the one or the messiah. I don't know, I just remember voting for someone that I believed in....kinda like those of you who voted for Ron Paul or John McCain. Do you belive that THEY are your messiah? Oh, by the way, since I'm an atheist, NO ONE is my messiah. I don't care if you're the president or Johnny Depp, I speak & think for myself.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:52 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
gee another I don't like Obama thread! City Data must be home of the tea baggers.Well if Obama did go back on his campaign promises (like to know which ones) at least his broken promises didn't kill 4000 troops & maim thousands of them. Remember this glorious quote from Bush:

"I'm not into nation building!"

Old 04-13-2009, 02:01 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
Yea the right put that name there but look at how people were acting during the election. Do u remember cause i do.

Just for the record, my leg didn't tingle.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Frankly, early on in the campaign, I was put off by all that adoration. I'm too old to buy into adoring anybody. Over time, however, I came to a couple of realizations:

1) Obama can't really be held responsible for the reactions of people who put all their hopes in his candidacy;
2) That reaction was probably an overdetermined response to a very real exhaustion with the Bush years, and a very real fear that the nation's security was at risk with a McCain/Palin administration;
3) A close acquaintance of mine is actually a longtime friend of Obama's, and I asked for his opinion, told him to give the Obama story to me straight. His response was that Obama has more integrity than just about anybody he's ever met or worked with. Since my acquaintance is a person of unimpeachable integrity, and I trust his honesty, I saw no reason not to believe him where Obama is concerned.

Oh, that so gross! #3 made me laugh so hard, milk shot out of my nose and I'm not even drinking milk.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Of course he's broken campaign promises. Every President does. Anybody who believes that a Presidential candidate will keep every campaign promise is living in an ideal world. Every new President, once in D.C., is confronted with the reality of political compromise and the need to prioritize according to a timeline. That's what Obama's had to do. It's not a biggie in my book. On the contrary, it's to be expected. Especially when the opposing party has had a mental breakdown for the first time in the history of the U.S.
Aside from expanding abortion and social engineering initiatives, I can't think of any campaign promises he's kept. Maybe that's why his approval numbers continue to tank.

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

Perhaps you could list a few.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
Quote:

I have more fear of national security now than I would have under any Conservative president who don't historically cut defense spending to a point that the military can't operate.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
gee another I don't like Obama thread! City Data must be home of the tea baggers.Well if Obama did go back on his campaign promises (like to know which ones) at least his broken promises didn't kill 4000 troops & maim thousands of them. Remember this glorious quote from Bush:

"I'm not into nation building!"
interesting, because Bush SR, didn't get re-elected because he went back on his promise of no new taxes.
Let's see if history repeats itself.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:23 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I was right with you, until #3. Less than 100 days in office and he's broken numerous campaign promises.
Here's the actual scoreboard on his promises, updated as he goes. You should bookmark it.

Enjoy.

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies