Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
TrippingJay, don't even attempt to think you know what I do in my personal time. I've seen first-hand the grief that plagues women who've had abortions. They had the choice, they made that choice, and now many are living in grief because of it. Don't go there.
Are you out there donating clothes, time, money to women who have gotten pregnant that can't afford to be pregnant? Have you taken in unwanted children? Or are you one of those that stands outside the abortion clinic blocking the way for women going in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 AM

968 posts, read 1,038,556 times
Quote:
No lie can be found. You just happen to disagree with my anti-abortion stance. That's all it boils down to. And yes, I believe every woman should be enraged that "fetal container" would be used to describe a human that has been given the gift of conception. It's that simple.
Don't pretend you know me. I haven't said a thing so far about my stance on abortion. Personally, I find it abhorrent.

I just hate disingenuous liars. I've make it a habit to call them out on this site. Go through my post history if you want - you'll see I have less tolerance for liars who happen to be on my side of the issue as they undermine any reasonable argument one sharing the same viewpoint might put forth.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Here's where you stumbled...women who have abortions do not consider getting pregnant a "gift".
Exactly.

I agree. That is what I was thinking.

I do not consider getting pregnant a gift at all..even if it was planned.

If anything, I think it is more of a unfair hell for being a woman. More like a punishment.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:20 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,655,899 times
Quote:
No lie can be found. You just happen to disagree with my anti-abortion stance. That's all it boils down to. And yes, I believe every woman should be enraged that "fetal container" would be used to describe a human that has been given the gift of conception. It's that simple.
When you don't want to be pregnant, you are, indeed, a "fetal container", especially if the Government tells you that fetus has rights that trump yours, and you're forced to birth against your will.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
TrippingJay, don't even attempt to think you know what I do in my personal time. I've seen first-hand the grief that plagues women who've had abortions. They had the choice, they made that choice, and now many are living in grief because of it. Don't go there.
By your name, I'm assuming you're a man, who conveniently could never feel the emotions that come along with unplanned pregnancy.

I am a woman, I had an abortion, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I felt nothing but relief.

I'm Not Sorry.net: Celebrating The Right To Choose

Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Exactly.

I agree. That is what I was thinking.

I do not consider getting pregnant a gift at all..even if it was planned.

If anything, I think it is more of a unfair hell for being a woman. More like a punishment.
I guess that's one of the differences in believing in God or not. I happen to be a Christian, I believe that life is precious, and yes, I do believe that conception is a gift. I am truly amazed that any human could consider it otherwise.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
By your name, I'm assuming you're a man, who conveniently could never feel the emotions that come along with unplanned pregnancy.

I am a woman, I had an abortion, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I felt nothing but relief.

I'm Not Sorry.net: Celebrating The Right To Choose

Did you ever find the link to your claim that 54% of abortions are due to failed BC?

I'd like to read it.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I guess that's one of the differences in believing in God or not. I happen to be a Christian, I believe that life is precious, and yes, I do believe that conception is a gift. I am truly amazed that any human could consider it otherwise.
Good for you! It's great to have a belief system. You shouldn't get an abortion then, because it would violate your beliefs.

But don't go telling me I can't because your man in the sky tells you I shouldn't.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
Quote:
Well no offense. You clearly stated you were a male correct? I am a female. An atheist/Agnostic can consider pregnancy a gift. You dont have to be Christian to think that. You dont even have to believe in God. I know people who are Athiest who think just like you do.

But as far as pregnancy to be a gift, why should everyone consider it a gift? As a woman, I fear it. I dont want to be held down for nine months. I dont want to go through the labor of it. You get fat and ugly. I dont want to throw up every morning. I dont want pains. The man does not have have to go through anything. He just gives the sperm and that is that. No offense, but you can consider it a gift. Dont think that all other women and men (Especially men who lost their wives because of pregnancy) are going to think that. I think differently. Why is it amazing to you if some women or men think differently?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
You're right, every woman should be enraged that if she becomes unintentionally pregnant, that pro-life people suddenly lose focus on her life, on her issues and concerns, and focus solely on the fetus she is carrying. It may, indeed, be a gift, but it is a gift that is also a burden. And women have to consider that burden. They have to consider the health risks that are part of pregnancy for every women, and the risks that are particular to their own bodies. They have to consider the financial costs pregnancy and subsequent child-rearing will incur. They have to consider the impact pregnancy and motherhood will have on their lives. You, in your pro-life position, can see this from the vantage point of moral superiority as a purely right versus wrong issue. She, on the other hand, is the one who will be visiting doctors. She is the one who will have to buy an entire new wardrobe. She is the one who will be monitoring her blood pressure and heart rate, her blood sugar and water retention. She is the one who worries about keeping her job, and how much insurance will cover. She is the one who has to sit down and tell her husband or boyfriend about this unwanted pregnancy, and she might also have to face disappointed parents and disapproving school authorities. You see it from the vantage point of never having to get your hands dirty, she's sees it from the vantage point that her entire life is about to be altered.

She's not ignorant or unappreciative of the fact that she is carrying a potential life. She's just aware that it's a huge responsibility, and that her life is going to change in every possible way. She's not thinking just about the fetus, she's thinking about herself. It may seem selfish to you that she is considering herself and her future, but it's not like you're thinking about it when your primary concern isn't her at all, but the unborn baby. And that it is the unborn baby and not the woman who becomes the focus of the pro-life movement is exactly why pro-life people can be characterized as seeing the woman as a fetal container. Because seeing her as more raises questions as to why she doesn't want the baby. If pro-lifers were really about pro-life, they would work more to address the issues that make women reluctant to go through a pregnancy, rather than blaming the women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies