Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Adios.
bye bye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,650 times
Quote:
I have yet to see a statistic that purports the failure of birth control to be a leading cause of pregnancy.
Here's some statistical data complied by the FDA:

The following table provides estimates of the percent of women likely to become pregnant while using a particular contraceptive method for one year. These estimates are based on a variety of studies.

"Typical Use"
rates mean that the method either was not always used correctly or was not used with every act of sexual intercourse (e.g., sometimes forgot to take a birth control pill as directed and became pregnant), or was used correctly but failed anyway.

"Lowest Expected"
rates mean that the method was always used correctly with every act of sexual intercourse but failed anyway (e.g., always took a birth control pill as directed but still became pregnant).
Method

Method: Typical Use - Lowest Expected
Sterilization:
Male Sterilization: 0.15% - 0.1%
Female Sterilization: 0.5% - 0.5%
Hormonal Methods:

Implant (Norplant): 0.09% - 0.09%
Hormone Shot (Depo-Provera): 0.3% - 0.3%
Combined Pill (Estrogen/Progestin): 5% - 0.1%
Minipill (Progestin only): 5% - 0.5%
Intrauterine Devices (IUDs):

Copper T: 0.8% - 0.6%
Progesterone T: 2% - 1.5%
Barrier Methods:
Male Latex Condom: 14% - 3%
Diaphragm: 20% - 6%
Vaginal Sponge (no previous births): 20% - 9%
Vaginal Sponge (previous births): 40% - 20%
Cervical Cap (no previous births): 20% - 9%
Cervical Cap (previous births): 40% - 26%
Female Condom: 21% - 5%
Spermicide: (gel, foam, suppository, film)

26% - 6%
Natural Methods:

Withdrawal: 19% - 4%
Natural Family Planning (calendar, temperature, cervical mucus): 25% - 9%
No Method:
85% - 85%

With these failure rates, it seems a ton of pregnancies occur despite use of birth control. My niece exists despite the use of birth control pills.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,205 times
As a female, I am personally more disgusted by the comments that say Michelle Obama is fat and looks like a man. Those are far more cruel and insulting to the average woman than these out-of-context comments.

Last edited by raindrop101; 04-13-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 12:31 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
This is my last post to this thread. I still stand by my comments that:

1) EVERY female should be enraged that she would be referred to as a "fetal container", no matter if the accuser is pro-life or pro-choice. Absolutely no dignity in that.

2) Personal responsibility should trump political policy anyday. If you make the baby by your own carelessness, you should stand up to your responsibility as parents.

Adios.
LOL. YOU started this thread and now are wanting to leave? LOL.

Guess you could not defend your viewpoint AGAIN like in this thread. Daddy, when I grow up I want to be a bureaucrat

LOL!

Daddy, when I grow up, I wanna be a Republican!!!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
LOL. YOU started this thread and now are wanting to leave? LOL.

Guess you could not defend your viewpoint AGAIN like in this thread. Daddy, when I grow up I want to be a bureaucrat

LOL!

Daddy, when I grow up, I wanna be a Republican!!!!!
Quote:
As I said before, I absolutely agree. However, I do believe this nation suffers a huge lapse in personal responsibility. Blaming it on another generation is a symptom, not a cure. Most come in with nothing but a college degree and think they have the whole world in their hands. I've even had one person send in a 3-page manifest on why we were wrong in not hiring that person, and even alluded that it may have been discrimination. As long as that sort of entitlement attitude continues to walk into my office, i'll maintain that this generation of kids will never compare to generations past. Thankfully, Washington DC has sizeable intellectual worker base, so I can easily weed out the entitlement crowd in favor of those that will work hard to achieve mutual goals.
I don't know what you're getting at in your link to that thread. I am a proponent of personal responsibility. What's so hard to understand about that? You're just making my point for me.

See ya.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:40 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
I would proposition every pro-choice man to start referring to his date as a "fetal container" and see how far he gets. That would make you just fall right in love with him wouldn't it? You pro-choicers give men every right to impregnate you and walk away. Why not, she'll get an abortion..right?

Women libs complain about the context. How's that for out of context? All of a sudden you have diginity, eh?

So your under the belief that there are NO conservatives that are pro-choice or have had an abortion?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
AeroGuy, I'm not trying to drag you back into this thread which you are clearly trying to exit. I, too, think that people need to behave far more responsibly when it comes to reproductive matters. But there are some practical questions that come up when you start making abortion available conditionally. If you make abortion available to people whose birth control method failed, you'll probably see a lot more people claiming that birth control failed them. Unless you make them prove it somehow, and to some authority, people will simply fall back on that. What do you do about the women then, who cannot prove it? The teen girl who's been raped, and who has chosen not to report it? Just how much trauma do you want to subject her to? For every abortion there is a different situation, special circumstances that only the woman is privy to. No one thinks abortion is a good choice. Abortion isn't convenient. Abortion isn't inexpensive. Abortion is traumatic and horrible. But for some women the alternative is even worse. So do we demand that women prove that the alternative is worse? Do we demand that women justify their decisions? If it's a matter of respect and dignity, shouldn't we respect a woman's privacy in making this decision? Shouldn't we assume that she's made an informed, thoughtful, and heart-wrenching choice based on her own personal knowledge of herself and her situation? Rather than assuming that she's amoral or stupid or heartless? Shouldn't pro-life respect her life, and her intelligence, and her morality?

Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
I don't know what you're getting at in your link to that thread. I am a proponent of personal responsibility. What's so hard to understand about that? You're just making my point for me.

See ya.
How am I making your point for you?

No, you are not a proponent of personal responsibility. You are a proponent of wanting control of women and pushing your beliefs onto to others.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
How am I making your point for you?

No, you are not a proponent of personal responsibility. You are a proponent of wanting control of women and pushing your beliefs onto to others.
Yep .... keep those women from being able to make choices!!!! While men have absolutely no responsibility whatsoever ... nah, they don't need to worry about wearing a raincoat, coverin' the pipe, wrappin' the willy ... it's the female's responsibility to say no, to abstain, to use birth control.

yea, it's so fair in republiworld.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 23,178 times
Women absolutely should have control over their bodies which is why they SHOULD TAKE THAT CONTROL BEFORE FINDING THEMSELVES PREGNANT. What ever happened to acting responsibly and being accountable for one's actions. If women want to be loose canons and screw indiscriminately without protection or concern for the potential of pregnancy .... have at it! However, I don't believe it should be on my nickel. I don't want to pay for your abortion.... my rights count too. You want to be pro-choice... fine. Do it on your own nickel. You want abortion... fine. Pay for it yourself and be responsible for your own actions. I don't believe in abortion but respect pro-choice and the freedom to choose. However, with that said I don't believe the Government should tax me for your choice. Fetal Containers in any context is inflammatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies