Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Please explain those enormous ramifications. I didn't notice the world changing all that much when India and Pakistan went nuclear.
see my previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
see my previous post.
Falls way short of compelling. Might? could? Sounds like the Cheney doctrine.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Like it or not, Iran has every right to develop its peaceful nuclear development under the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, which Iran is a signature. Iran has the right to develop long intermediate and long range rockets as well as to pursue a space program.

As for Iran developing a nuclear weapon... all Iran has to do is withdraw from the Treaty after a ninety day notification, at which time, Iran has the right to develop nuclear weapons, just as North Korea has the same right once it withdrew from the NNWT. That is the sorry state of things but that is what it is.

But along with Iran and North Korea's rights to develop both nuclear energy and weapons, the rest of the world has the right to use peaceful methods for convincing both nations to refrain from developing nuclear weapons. However, from a Third World (Third world in the original sense - nations unaligned with either the West or the Soviet Bloc) perspective it is more than a bit disingenuous for nuclear powers, i.e. the U.S., Britain, or France to make such an argument as long as they hold on to a vast nuclear arsenal, something that I believe underlies Obama's nuclear disarmament proposal.

As for Iran setting off a nuclear arms race, well that is a chicken vs the egg kind of argument since Israel's clandestine nuclear weapons program could be arguably cited as the genesis of such an arms race. So far, contrary to arguments being made about Iran's program causing an arms race by neighboring Arab nations, the evidence would seem to counter such arguments. The Gulf Cooperative Council, whose members include Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE, voiced their support of Iran's nuclear efforts in a joint communique in 2008.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Why are you sidetracking the topic and insulting conservatives?
Calling myself a conservative on the subject is insulting conservatives? This is no side tracking, it is very much on target, or is it that you don't want to deal with conservative principles when it doesn't help your case? May be, you think conservatism is only about fiscal matters or only social. Not to me.

Consistency is key, hypocrisy is idiocy. If Iran feels threatened, they have the right to defend themselves. But this ain't even about that, and people are getting their panties twisted.

Besides, were you having tea when $4 million of American tax dollars was given to an institute working on Bushehr?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Calling myself a conservative on the subject is insulting conservatives? This is no side tracking, it is very much on target, or is it that you don't want to deal with conservative principles when it doesn't help your case? May be, you think conservatism is only about fiscal matters or only social. Not to me.

Besides, were you having tea when $4 million of American tax dollars was given to an institute working on Bushehr?
Calling yourself a conservative, ghost or whatever has what to do with a nuclear Iran?
I'm sorry, but most of your posts on this thread have nothing to do with mine or the original topic.
You seem to be having some debate inside your own head.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Calling yourself a conservative, ghost or whatever has what to do with a nuclear Iran?
I'm sorry, but most of your posts on this thread have nothing to do with mine or the original topic.
You seem to be having some debate inside your own head.
No wonder conservative movement in America is completely lost. You're a prime example of someone claiming to be a part of it.

Explain to me: Why can't Iran have its own nuclear energy program when you support the idea here at home?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Explain to me: Why can't Iran have its own nuclear energy program when you support the idea here at home?
Sorry Einstein, I don't think Iran is pursuing a peaceful energy program as your question suggests

Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM

683 posts, read 824,850 times
As for this policing the world thing, I need to brush up on my history but doesn't it go back to the Truman Doctrine? Stopping the spread of communism or other oppresive nations?

Either way, I'm not for it... I say bring the troops home and let the middle east sort out their own problems. They have been in conflict since Abraham fathered Ishmael so no American diplomat is going to patch that up. Maybe then we could secure our borders and stop the spread of communism in our own country....

Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry Einstein, I don't think Iran is pursuing a peaceful energy program as your question suggests
Do we? Does Israel? Does anybody?

If we must poke our nose in others' affairs, isn't it better to be fair and balanced versus lopsided? Doesn't it make sense to ask for nuclear arms disarmament as opposed to allowing some and not allowing others?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
I hope you feel the same way when Iran's missiles will be able to reach the USA.

and you've had this same fear the last 32, 24, 16 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies