Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 01:07 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Why do you willfully continue to ignore that I have not argued in favor of deportation? I very CLEARLY stated that deportation would not be needed if employers were held responsible for hiring illegal immigrants. That if there were no jobs, illegal immigrants would go home on their own.

It's very weird that you willfully blind yourself to the words in black and white before your eyes. You don't answer any of the points I've ACTUALLY made. Instead, not only do you not respond to those points, but you imagine and respond to a point I never made. Frankly, I've never seen such bizarre and willful blindness to the facts.
OK, sorry to over-look the nuance of your point but are you suggesting that the huge agriculture industry in the US is going to allow crops to go unpicked in the fields? In our larger cities, undocumented make up the majority in restaurants\ hotels\ servants\ construction, etc because they work for less & are willing to forgo labor protections. If you live near the border or in highly agricultural states then you know that farmers are not going to obey. And as I wrote before, the Catholic church in particular will cause major headaches for ICE [that is why there are sanctuary cities].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 AM

491 posts, read 886,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I don't think you are considering the reason why we try our best to keep people healthy & educated. To do otherwise would be far worse. Its like ignoring that your neighbors have a serious contagious illness even if it may mean getting infected. Unregulated behavior creates problems as we painfully know with the recent Wall Street scandals. I am not supporting that California adopt every poor person in the world but those who live among us need to be kept healthy & provided basic services unless one wants to risk the good of all Americans.
Like I said, I will NEVER agree with you on this. You can try to explain all you want, but until you and your loved ones have been DIRECTLY affected by this the way mine have, then nothing you say can take precedence over real life experience.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
It couldn't be HALF as fun as being in Boise, could it?
boise is lovely..Most isolated large metro(500K+) in the lower 48! ... I moved here from seattle in 2005...and I certainly wouldn't ever go back.. and that's coming from a gay man.... so on that note....
what are you trying to say? Idaho isn't coming out with outlandish claims of seperating from the union... Only a place like texas would think so highly of itself... so I say... have at it.... bye bye

Last edited by boiseguy; 04-17-2009 at 01:54 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Really? If Idaho left would anyone notice? I think not.
nobody in idaho is claiming they want to....the minute it did.. I'd be out of here...
what's your point? idaho is worthless and texas is just so great? I'm not following your logic... Remember Texas is the one chucking the fit here... so give the brat what it wants... or at best be indifferent... Seems they'd like for everyone to get all ruffled up about them leaving the union like it would be so compromising.. when in fact.. they have no REAL intentions of actually doing it.. Its a brat chucking a fit... so.. chuck your fit... have at it.. bye bye.. don't expect the rest of the nation to bow at your feet... There's a lot of great things in texas.. but I can guarantee as the day is long that once you do say bye bye.. money, investment, and resources will be sucked out of there so fast your head will spin.... So check your attitudes at the door.. you're either part of the union.. or you're not...

Last edited by boiseguy; 04-17-2009 at 01:56 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
OK, sorry to over-look the nuance of your point but are you suggesting that the huge agriculture industry in the US is going to allow crops to go unpicked in the fields? In our larger cities, undocumented make up the majority in restaurants\ hotels\ servants\ construction, etc because they work for less & are willing to forgo labor protections. If you live near the border or in highly agricultural states then you know that farmers are not going to obey. And as I wrote before, the Catholic church in particular will cause major headaches for ICE [that is why there are sanctuary cities].
Again, approximately 5% of illegal immigrants pick crops in fields. And in the larger cities, those jobs would be taken by Americans and business would be forced to pay a living wage. You appear to be saying that Americans don't deserve jobs that pay a living wage, and that it's perfectly acceptable to shove American workers aside in order to hire illegal workers who are willing to work for less.

And, yet again, what role do you envision for the Catholic church if e-verify is put into effect? They would have no role. The illegal immigrants would simply go home.

You are being deliberately obtuse.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
Like I said, I will NEVER agree with you on this. You can try to explain all you want, but until you and your loved ones have been DIRECTLY affected by this the way mine have, then nothing you say can take precedence over real life experience.
That's cool & no offense. If we all agree it would be a very boring world. I once participated on a political board that banned all the Republicans to my dismay [I hate any banning] & it was pointless to post nothing more than compliments & like-minded comments! BTW, I know you are not a Republican.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Again, approximately 5% of illegal immigrants pick crops in fields. And in the larger cities, those jobs would be taken by Americans and business would be forced to pay a living wage. You appear to be saying that Americans don't deserve jobs that pay a living wage, and that it's perfectly acceptable to shove American workers aside in order to hire illegal workers who are willing to work for less.

And, yet again, what role do you envision for the Catholic church if e-verify is put into effect? They would have no role. The illegal immigrants would simply go home.

You are being deliberately obtuse.
That is so untrue [at least in California]. You are going to have to cite your sources because what you suggest is contrary to all that I have read or observed [I was born & raised in farm communities].

I fully understand your point about the living wage & support every effort to raise the standard of living for all Americans [and why I feel strongly about the border]. Who knows, maybe immigrants will go home [there has been a decrease in border crossings since the recession] but I don't think that will last forever. The economy is what influences immigration & people who are poor are going to do their best to get employment.

You think that employment regulation is the answer while I feel closing the border is the solution. Maybe both with work. That is my hope.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'll agree with you here. We are building a home and less tha 5% of the people I've seen working on the house is from the US. All those framers, roofers, concrete workers... those should be jobs that belong to US citizens.

Why give work visa's to people from India to come here & take the technology jobs at half a wage ?
People don't come here and "take" jobs.
It's your wonderful "free market" working.
Immigrants tend to take jobs others don't want or want to be paid more to do. Are you willing to clean toilets in a Red Roof Inn? Do fieldwork?

You're against unions, aren't you?

You're just using immigration as a bogeyman. The real issue here is US business practices.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Immigrants tend to take jobs others don't want or want to be paid more to do. Are you willing to clean toilets in a Red Roof Inn? Do fieldwork?

You're just using immigration as a bogeyman. The real issue here is US business practices.
bingo!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:08 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Nothing wrong with LEGAL immigrants. I love all the different cultures I come across here in Houston.

However, illegal immigrants are a different story as they cost us tons of money and they are breaking the laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies