Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:45 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama called Thursday for the country to move swiftly to a system of high-speed rail travel, saying it will relieve congestion, help clean the air and save on energy.

Appearing with Vice President Joe Biden and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Obama said the country cannot afford not to invest in a major upgrade to rail travel. He said he understands it necessarily will be "a long-term project" but said the time to start is now.

The president allocated $8 billion in the enormous $787 billion economic stimulus spending package for a start on establishing high-speed rail corridors nationwide.

Obama calls for high-speed rail development - White House- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
To be built by union labor only. Union Labor prices apply.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,319 times
I just want it built. It really doesn't matter to me how it is built just as long as America gets a modern transportation system like the rest of the first world.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:29 PM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
High speed rail is fine.
But we need to rebuild urban electric rail for mass transit.
Why?
232 million automobiles that rely upon imported oil for 70% of the time, means that in the event that oil imports are stopped, 70% of your mileage is gone - if you can still afford a car.

In 2007 consumption rates
1 million barrels of oil = one hour U.S. consumption
1 billion barrels of oil = one month U.S. consumption
1 trillion barrels of oil = one human lifetime ...

In one year, 12 billion barrels of oil are consumed. 70% of that is 8.4 billion.
At $50 / barrel, we export $420 Billion / year.
At $75 / barrel , we export $630 Billion / year.
At $100 / barrel, we export $840 Billion / year.
At $125 / barrel, we export $1050 Billion / year.

At what point does someone catch on that exporting billions and trillions per year is not wise. Is it not more cost effective spending the money, here, on electric rail based mass transit?

Estimated U.S. population: 305,604,913 (2009)
At $125 / barrel, it costs $3435.80 per capita to satisfy demand.
That's $286 per month per person...

If we could take that same sum of $1050 billion, and use it to build electric urban rail, we might recover from our oil addiction.
At $10 million / mile at-grade track, with half that exported money, we could build ...
(1050 T / 2) divided by $10 M
52,500 miles of urban streetcar track.

(in 1907, the U.S. had 34,404 miles of urban streetcar track and approx. 60,000 streetcars.)

In two years, we exported enough wealth to build and equip our major and minor cities with electric urban rail transportation.

Don't ever say we can't afford rail mass transit. We can't afford NOT to build it. We can't afford to subsidize oil consuming automobiles, nor bail out "Big Auto".

Old 04-17-2009, 07:30 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama called Thursday for the country to move swiftly to a system of high-speed rail travel, saying it will relieve congestion, help clean the air and save on energy.

Appearing with Vice President Joe Biden and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Obama said the country cannot afford not to invest in a major upgrade to rail travel. He said he understands it necessarily will be "a long-term project" but said the time to start is now.

The president allocated $8 billion in the enormous $787 billion economic stimulus spending package for a start on establishing high-speed rail corridors nationwide.

If it is going to be built it will be done so by foreign workers.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:08 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post

Awesome. I agree with Obama wholeheartedly. Ever since I first visited Europe, I have been jealous of their high-speed train system...for so many reasons, both economical and environmental.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:17 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,872 times
Thank goodness we finally have a President who cares about the country...

Our public transportation is an absolute joke and shame compared to Europe - I know - I've been there many times...

It is about time we started working on a network of high-speed trains...

It's about time we joined the 21st century...

Go Obama!!!

Now THIS is the type of change that I voted for!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:23 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,820 times
Where in the Constitution is the part where we are guaranteed government funded rail travel?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,493 times
lmmfao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Thank goodness we finally have a President who cares about the country...

Our public transportation is an absolute joke and shame compared to Europe - I know - I've been there many times...

It is about time we started working on a network of high-speed trains...

It's about time we joined the 21st century...

Go Obama!!!

Now THIS is the type of change that I voted for!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Where in the Constitution is the part where we are guaranteed government funded rail travel?
What are you talking about? Who said anything about government-funded rail travel being guaranteed in the Constitution?

Are you implying that a President cannot enact new measures to build high-speed rail lines unless such travel is guaranteed by the Constitution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies