Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

I always find it interesting that many who profess a disdain for the "liberal" Dems and an undying love for the Republicans, will NEVER even benefit from their policies; namely the Poor (as in cash poor) Republicans.

This reminds me of a former co-worker from years ago. A young woman, Caucasian, blonde, college-educated and fairly well-spoken. When the company her, she was practically living in her vehicle. Per her own description, her family was very poor and had a semi-nomadic existence(raised in various trailer parks throughout the Southwest). Her family had been on welfare the majority of the time and her mother was still on it.

This person was a staunch Republican. Even though her own personal experiences and moral behavior(drug abuse and a very "questionable and sorted" personal life) were COMPLETELY contrary to the official Republican party's stance on any and everything.

The "Tea Party" protests reminded me of her. The Republican party uses people that are counter to their "ideology" to do their dirty work and its SO VERY SAD. Many of the people who protest the loudest have the least to gain should their demands be met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
So you really can't call all Republicans greedy and selfish, can you?

What would you think the motivation is for their being Republican? Maybe they like the freedom to do and be the person they want to be.

I think most Democrats would like this too, but greed clouds their minds so much that they are willing to give up freedom and morals for material things.

Personally, I would rather have little and be free than to have much and have a nanny government telling me what I can and cannot do. If you look through history, you will find that a lot of people do not realize how important freedom is until they have lost it. At least when you are poor and free you have the opportunity to work hard and better yourself. Communism is abusive for all.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
So you really can't call all Republicans greedy and selfish, can you?
Never said that ALL Republicans are "greedy" or "selfish". I think that their policies are self serving for a small number of Americans but they wrap their rhetoric up into "family values" to draw a larger crowd. But they really are attempting to appeal to those who want the "circle the wagon" of the status quo (circa 1950s) in order to protect "their" way of life (which is ALL code for wanting to maintain an American caste system)

Old 04-16-2009, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
The difference I see is that the poor Republicans want to be able to get rich via capitalism while the poor Democrats want to be handed the riches via entitlements.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The difference I see is that the poor Republicans want to be able to get rich via capitalism while the poor Democrats want to be handed the riches via entitlements.
Except for those poor Republicans on welfare. Or who except unemployment benefits or food stamps, etc.

This is the irony; these same people want to paint welfare recepients with a Black (or Brown) brush but "they" also utilize the system. Pure hypocrisy.

Not to mention that the policies of the party that they support make it more difficult for them to become wealthy.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:23 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Poor Republicans! They get no respect. But what else can one expect when Bush is their brilliant leader.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I saw those people and they looked like they were peaceful and look like they were doing good. The I think of all the liberal protest and what I see is people that mask their face to actually hide it because of the fighting;burning and looting going on. I have no problem seeing which group is likely to be like your freind in using drigs. Even looking at the special interest groups within the democratic party is obvious which want to legalize the drugs that did that to your co-worker and even tax the drugs to benefit themselves at her and other addicts expense. I think that it was obvious to even the casual observer looking at different protest of the liberal and those yesterday who is the responsible person that fuel this nation. The democratic new slogan should be :ask not what you can do for your country;but what your country can do for you.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:38 PM

91 posts, read 329,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I saw those people and they looked like they were peaceful and look like they were doing good.
Calling for hanging members of congress, for revolution, revolt, "getting guns", calling people Hitler, terrorists, pirates, etc? That's aside from how absolutely nonsensical/untruthful it mostly was.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:41 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
What would you think the motivation is for their being Republican? Maybe they like the freedom to do and be the person they want to be.
Where can't you be the person you want to be in America. What are you being prevented from doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can someone please show me somebody that has gotten rich government entitlements/giveaways.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times
this story sounds so made up it's unreal. I find it ironic that people who vote democrat somehow feel that the politicians they support somehow care about them and are less evil than republicans. there is 1 party in washington. wake the hell up people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I always find it interesting that many who profess a disdain for the "liberal" Dems and an undying love for the Republicans, will NEVER even benefit from their policies; namely the Poor (as in cash poor) Republicans.

This reminds me of a former co-worker from years ago. A young woman, Caucasian, blonde, college-educated and fairly well-spoken. When the company her, she was practically living in her vehicle. Per her own description, her family was very poor and had a semi-nomadic existence(raised in various trailer parks throughout the Southwest). Her family had been on welfare the majority of the time and her mother was still on it.

This person was a staunch Republican. Even though her own personal experiences and moral behavior(drug abuse and a very "questionable and sorted" personal life) were COMPLETELY contrary to the official Republican party's stance on any and everything.

The "Tea Party" protests reminded me of her. The Republican party uses people that are counter to their "ideology" to do their dirty work and its SO VERY SAD. Many of the people who protest the loudest have the least to gain should their demands be met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies