Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I saw 1 (one) CNN reporter 50 times on Fox News. Guess they liked her coverage.
I assume you're talking about the woman who made an ass out of herself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Bill O'Reilly has it right. It's all about business/money but he doesn't tell the whole story. Fox leads the ratings and no one will come out and say why. It's because there is such liberal media bias, that everybody else runs to Fox. Fox has no competition for its niche audience. CNN, PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC and MSNBC are splitting the same piece of audience pie although you have to talk about CNN and MSNBC apart from the rest because not every viewer has cable. They'd all tell you that except that would be admitting they have liberal bias and that's what allowed Fox News to become a powerhouse (they have 9 of the top 10 cable news shows and one is O'Reilly's re-run show) in opposition to them.

If there was another news organization that wasn't liberal, Fox News' numbers would go down because then they'd be sharing their audience/piece of the pie. The onsey-twosy (Lou Dobbs, Joe Scarborough) shows don't do it if you can't string them together.

Now, Fox will tell you, non-conservatives watch them but I think it's all of you deranged people who monitor their every move in that group. Fox just calls those people "viewers" because advertisers only care about eyeballs on their products/services. They don't care whether you like the show that you're watching. They just care that you're watching. Bigger audience numbers mean you can charge more for advertising. So the Glenn Beck haters, for example, are just as important as the Glenn Beck lovers in the grand scheme of things. To Fox News, we're all just viewers.

If I was Roger Ailes at Fox News, I'd move Glenn Beck into the timeslot that directly competes with ABC, CBS and NBC national news shows. Since I don't watch ABC, NBC or CBS national news, I don't know what timeslot that is. Beck would get even bigger numbers if he was on a little later.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I assume you're talking about the woman who made an ass out of herself?

But I didn't see her on CNN (and she was a good example of bad reporting).........and I was flipping channels a lot that day, laughing at all the un-news being covered.

I did see a lot of Fox personalities being the news. So much for un-biased reporting from them too.

Last edited by plannine; 04-22-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 09:59 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
They are too far left. They see things one way and that is it!
They still think Obama is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Sure Obama is doing some nice things, but screwing up America
also. Why can't CNN be fair and balanced like FOX. Did anyone see
the CNN reporters at the Tea Parties. They were rude, full
of criticism, and apparently wanted to ruin the free speech.
I can see why FOX has the highest ratings!
MSNBC and New Times are also going into the tank.
Why can't we unite as one. It is obvious DEMs want all the power.
Don the beret Obama!
Waah waah waah,. Threads like this are so useless when it turns out to be a one-sided rant of a little boy or girl.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
They are too far left. They see things one way and that is it!
They still think Obama is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Sure Obama is doing some nice things, but screwing up America
also. Why can't CNN be fair and balanced like FOX. Did anyone see
the CNN reporters at the Tea Parties. They were rude, full
of criticism, and apparently wanted to ruin the free speech.
I can see why FOX has the highest ratings!
MSNBC and New Times are also going into the tank.
Why can't we unite as one. It is obvious DEMs want all the power.
Don the beret Obama!
This prose is so thoughtful and beautifully written that to respond would only serve to blemish its perfection.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Bill O'Reilly has it right. It's all about business/money but he doesn't tell the whole story. Fox leads the ratings and no one will come out and say why. It's because there is such liberal media bias, that everybody else runs to Fox. Fox has no competition for its niche audience. CNN, PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC and MSNBC are splitting the same piece of audience pie although you have to talk about CNN and MSNBC apart from the rest because not every viewer has cable. They'd all tell you that except that would be admitting they have liberal bias and that's what allowed Fox News to become a powerhouse (they have 9 of the top 10 cable news shows and one is O'Reilly's re-run show) in opposition to them.

NBC, ABC and CBS nightly newscast blows away all of the cable news (if your playing the popularity game). Fox is a distant 4th (maybe even 5th...PBS might beat them too)

Reporting a story correctly is not a media bias. (yes, every real news agency gets a story wrong sometimes....usually with bad sources, not intentional bias.
Flocking to a channel beacuse it reports what you want to hear, is media bias. That's the shoes Fox News wears.

Last edited by plannine; 04-22-2009 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I usually watch CNN because I feel it is at least LESS biased than msnbc and it is way, way, way less biased than FOX, but CNN isn't impartial either. It's just the lesser of the 3 evils.

The sexual innuendos in regards to the tea parties made on CNN were inappropriate. The 24 hour coverage FOX gave to the tea parties was ridiculous. I didn't turn on msnbc but they probably ignored them all together.

FOX is so biased, it's criminal. But all 3 stations are far from "fair and balanced". We all need to stop defending this nonsense we are being told is "news" and demand better!

A UCLA study actually FOX to be slightly left of center. Yeah, I know, it surprised me too.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Fox leads the ratings and no one will come out and say why. It's because there is such liberal media bias, that everybody else runs to Fox. Fox has no competition for its niche audience. CNN, PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC and MSNBC are splitting the same piece of audience pie although you have to talk about CNN and MSNBC apart from the rest because not every viewer has cable.
I see some merit to this part. Fox is the only network specificlly aimed at conservative viewers and it has no competition from any competing networks for those viewers. I really don't think of CNN as being "liberal". I think CNN is fairly objective. Anderson Cooper's show has critiqued Obama's stimulus plan. I can see people's point that MSNBC does have more anchors with more liberal leanings.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Okay, Fox News staff used to be issued memos as to how to spin the news everyday to promote consrevative ideology. I'm not sure if that still happens or not, but if anyone who is not a conservative turns on Fox News, the extraordinary bias and propaganda agenda is simply too much to stomach. If you think they're fair and balanced, then you really believe your worldview is correct. The stories they cover, the way they cover them, the way that Obama will be giving a news conference of speech on the other two channels and Fox isn't even talking about it.

Anything that makes Obama look good, Fox avoids. They did run Limbaugh's CPAC speech over and over. They are not news at Fox.

Second, Ted Turner hasn't owned CNN for years.

Third, CNN seems to be the most balanced of all three. MSNBC has a clear liberal agenda that gets nauseating and undermines their credibility, Fox has an even clearer conservative agenda, and CNN sort of walks the line, perhaps slightly to the left but mostly centrist.

Fourth, Turner and "Hanoi Jane" split up almost 10 years ago.

CNN - Ted Turner, Jane Fonda announce they are separating - January 4, 2000

Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
^
Let it go, dude. The sixties are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies