Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., April 17 (UPI) -- A federal judge has banned a Florida elementary school from having children sing a country song, "In God We Still Trust," at a school assembly.

The lyrics attack the principal of separation of church and state, U.S. District Judge Harvey Schlesinger said.

Judge bans religious song from school - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I agree with their decision. That song does not just simply mention God... it's saying he's the only one.

"There's no separation. ... We're one nation under Him ... Now there are those among us who want to push Him out and erase His name from everything this country is all about ... Now it's time for all believers to make our voices heard."

Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
JACKSONVILLE, Fla., April 17 (UPI) -- A federal judge has banned a Florida elementary school from having children sing a country song, "In God We Still Trust," at a school assembly.

The lyrics attack the principal of separation of church and state, U.S. District Judge Harvey Schlesinger said.

Judge bans religious song from school - UPI.com
GOOD! Religion has NO place in public schools...NONE!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Great decision.

*Waits for some fundamentalist righty to claim that it's a part of the continuing "War on Christianity" even though those same people would be crying if Vishnu or Allah were mentioned in a school song.*

Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I agree with their decision. That song does not just simply mention God... it's saying he's the only one.

"There's no separation. ... We're one nation under Him ... Now there are those among us who want to push Him out and erase His name from everything this country is all about ... Now it's time for all believers to make our voices heard."
I would be outraged if my child was forced to sing such ridiculous lyrics. At a public school, this should not be allowed to be sung by or to anyone that is not a fundamentalist Christian.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times

Old 04-17-2009, 03:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
How about the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins? Also banned?

God's Grandeur

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man's smudge |&| shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs --
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Gerard Manley Hopkins

How about Michalengelo's art? Also banned?

Don't forget Handel's music....and Bach's......

You've got a whole lot of banning and book-burning to do if your aim is to eliminate references to Christianity from our educational system.

Of course, those who would do so seemingly lack neither the energy nor the ruthlessness to do so, so sure are they of the righteousness of thier cause.

You might even call them fundamentalists. Or fanatics.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
you know what else has no place in public schools? actual education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
GOOD! Religion has NO place in public schools...NONE!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:52 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
what does god have to do with christianity? judiasm, mormonism, islam, and many religons have god. christianity is about jesus last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I would be outraged if my child was forced to sing such ridiculous lyrics. At a public school, this should not be allowed to be sung by or to anyone that is not a fundamentalist Christian.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:56 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
How about the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins? Also banned? How about Michalengelo's art? Also banned? Don't forget Handel's music....and Bach's......
I don't think the judge was actually considering any of those in this case. Seemed to be about just one really dumb, offensive, and obviously impermissible song...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies