Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,070,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Please don't confuse "fear" with preparedness and the willingness of individuals to take personal responsibility for their safety and that of their loved ones.
I take responsibility for my safety and the safety of others by not carrying a lethal instrument which through negligent discharge kills innocent people all the time. Not saying that every gun owner is irresponsible, but judging by the number of reported accidents, many must be.

Quote:
Do you carry a life insurance policy although it may be unlikely you will die during the "term" you have enrolled?
No. Not married. No kids.

Quote:
Do you keep fire extinguishers in your home although it is unlikely it will ever burn down?
Yes. There is no downside or danger to myself or others by having fire extinguishers. Fire extinguishers also aren't used to commit crime if they fall in to the wrong hands and have not lethality to them if misused.

Quote:
Do you fasten your seatbelt when you get into the car?
Of course. I follow the laws of my state. Again, seat belts have no lethality, no danger to myself or others. No downside. They only enhance safety with no danger of negligence or "accidents." No mentally ill person has ever got a hold of a seat belt and committed mass murder.

Quote:
If so, why do you do these things when the likelyhood of death or personal injury is relatively low?
I think I've explained that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,770,513 times
Actually, criminals have used fire extinguishers to beat people and commit other crimes. Are they lethal? Maybe for someone who has compromised lungs or asthma and inhales too much of the discharge.

While seatbelts save lives they also sometime are secondarily responsible for deaths. Do you carry the little tool that allows you to cut yourself out of your seatbelt? Because, if you do not, you run the risk of being trapped in your vehicle following a crash by your seatbelt.

The laws of my state allow me to carry a weapon concealed on my person or in my vehicle. So, I also follow the laws of my state when I carry a firearm.

A firearm does not discharge on its own unless there is a mechanical failure. You presume that most people who CCW have "fear" and must be negligent, as in a fatal accident waiting to happen. This presumption is wrong. That you don't trust yourself to own/carry a firearm is one thing. To project that distrust of your own abilities onto all gun owners is pretty sad, IMO. If the world is a safer place for you not carrying a firearm then I, for one, am glad you recognize your shortcomings. However, the world is a safer place when some of us are armed, trained, and ready to defend those we love from lethal attack.

There are sheep and there are sheepdogs. At least I know which one I am and you have described which one you are as well.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,892,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I take responsibility for my safety and the safety of others by not carrying a lethal instrument which through negligent discharge kills innocent people all the time. Not saying that every gun owner is irresponsible, but judging by the number of reported accidents, many must be.

No. Not married. No kids.

Yes. There is no downside or danger to myself or others by having fire extinguishers. Fire extinguishers also aren't used to commit crime if they fall in to the wrong hands and have not lethality to them if misused.

Of course. I follow the laws of my state. Again, seat belts have no lethality, no danger to myself or others. No downside. They only enhance safety with no danger of negligence or "accidents." No mentally ill person has ever got a hold of a seat belt and committed mass murder.

I think I've explained that.
1. Then you should not drive an automobile.

2. Believe me when I tell you that walking in certain neighborhoods with a good-looking woman next to you would make you wish you had a gun to prevent both of you from being raped or something.

3. There are in fact downsides of having fire extinguishers. Not knowing how to use them is only one of numerous reasons.

4. But a mentally ill person can very easily commit mass murder with a motor vehicle, even when wearing a seatbelt. He or she can also commit mass murder with a knife, and even with bare hands. Some mass murderers strangle their victims.
-------
The bottom line is that you only disagree with others who carry concealed firearms only when you become aware that they do.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 AM

14,815 posts, read 8,461,083 times
Quote:
Terminology matters. BATFE classifies the GLOCK as a DAO and it is considered a DAO by military specs. when it comes to fulfilling bid requirements placed by the military.

As for clearing malfunctions or speed reloads, which I think is what you were referring to when you suggested "rack another round anywho" I'm pretty well aquainted with how to solve the problem of a gun not going "bang" before the problem solves me. But thanks!
The BATFE also classifies the AR15 Semi-auto as an assault rifle too ... but they are wrong.

I think what the other guy was trying to say was that someone who purchased the weapon with the understanding that it functioned as DAO in all regards might be disappointed, and it was a valid point.

Of course you seem very capable, and I was offering no instructions ... it was obviously a failed attempt at witty humor.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,070,342 times
Quote:
Actually, criminals have used fire extinguishers to beat people and commit other crimes. Are they lethal? Maybe for someone who has compromised lungs or asthma and inhales too much of the discharge.
True. But the benefits of fire extinguishers to society, I believe, far outweigh the detriments. I can say quite confidently that fire extinguishers have saved exponentially more people than they have hurt or killed.

Quote:
While seatbelts save lives they also sometime are secondarily responsible for deaths. Do you carry the little tool that allows you to cut yourself out of your seatbelt? Because, if you do not, you run the risk of being trapped in your vehicle following a crash by your seatbelt.
I think I read somewhere that the seatbelt is about 10,000 x more likely to save your life than kill you in the unusual circumstance you mentioned. I guess I am not as safety conscious/fearful or prepared as you are, so I don't worry about getting killed by my seatbelt. Nor do I prepare for that circumstance.

Quote:
The laws of my state allow me to carry a weapon concealed on my person or in my vehicle. So, I also follow the laws of my state when I carry a firearm.
No disagreement there. I am simply questioning why anyone would feel the need.

Quote:
A firearm does not discharge on its own unless there is a mechanical failure. You presume that most people who CCW have "fear" and must be negligent, as in a fatal accident waiting to happen. This presumption is wrong.
I'll leave out most of the ad hominem attacks that are completely off topic, and really not answering any questions or bringing me any closer to understanding this phenomenum. I don't assume that most people who carry are negligent. I know, however, that enough are accidental deaths involving firearms to know that there are a significant number of negligent owners.

Quote:
There are sheep and there are sheepdogs. At least I know which one I am and you have described which one you are as well.
Well at least owning a firearm doesn't give you a weirdly inflated ego, or make you feel superior to others... hmmm...

Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,752,303 times
Big deal. I bought a flat screen TV the other day and I'm sure it will serve me more than that gun will serve you. Since when is talking about crap you buy an approprite topic for the politics board??? Shouldn't this be under the shopping forum???

Old 02-11-2010, 06:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,034,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
Mighty sweet toy. It came with two 18-round magazines. I LOVE New Mexico. They phone the FBI and hand you a gun. That is how it should be.

Who you planning to use it on, or are you just going to vaporize deer and coyotes with it?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 AM

241 posts, read 250,771 times
Quote:
Killing is not the primary purpose of a fire extinguisher.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,471,999 times
I agree with a post I read...

A sad day for America when one posts a thread in a forum because ...he bought a pistol...

Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 AM

24,334 posts, read 22,884,525 times
I work with some urban young people and have heard them discussing guns and the need to own guns and it is something of a status symbol. But I do detect a distinct fear from them for their own safety. I was sort of like that at their age, I liked guns and shooting. I never feared for my safety being from the suburbs but it was more a kind of rebellion like driving a fast car or drinking. I also think many kids today just don't have the guts to defend themselves the old fashioned way. They either run in packs and gang assault somebody they have an issue with or they carry a gun or knife because they doubt their ability to handle anybody in a fight. Many expect the police to be there 24/7 to protect them. Then dipwads also scream and complain about the police being too tough. Nobody seems to have any answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies