Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In some cases "diversity" takes the front seat to skill and abilities.
That, my friend, has made many weary of minorities in jobs because then you don't know if they got there by skill or by affirmative action.

AA has done more harm than good for minorities IMHO.
Even if a minority DID get a job due to Affirmative action, they still have to prove that they can stay in their job, by performing it well. As I've said repeatedly, Affirmative action has been benefitting mostly white women, rather than minorities anyway. Here's a link to an article, that shows why: Who wins out when it comes to affirmative action?

Many of you white males, think that just because efforts are made to include more women and minorities in jobs, that they've suddenly taken over the workplace. Well if that were true, then why is the unemployment rate for blacks, still almost twice as high, as it is for whites???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Well, then I'm not convinced due to a complete lack of proof.

In fact, since you cannot PROVE your claim, I have even more reason to say you made a false statement.
Well, tht's the proof that you're gonna get from me. No body has access to to either Obama's or McCain's IQ scores. Just remember that Obama has proven to the people, that he should be in the White House. While McCain, isn't.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Even if a minority DID get a job due to Affirmative action, they still have to prove that they can stay in their job, by performing it well. As I've said repeatedly, Affirmative action has been benefitting mostly white women, rather than minorities anyway. Here's a link to an article, that shows why: Who wins out when it comes to affirmative action?

Many of you white males, think that just because efforts are made to include more women and minorities in jobs, that they've suddenly taken over the workplace. Well if that were true, then why is the unemployment rate for blacks, still almost twice as high, as it is for whites???
That statistic is not new to this recession. Black unemployment rates have always been higher than for Whites.

Do you think racism is the only reason ?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You just shot yourself in the foot.

The test for promotion was designed specifically to test for all areas needed to get a promotion within the Fire Department.

I'm quite sure factors such as you mentioned were made a part of said test.

Plus, you still haven't addressed my question:

How would you feel if you were told that you were taking a test that would determine who in your office got a promotion that you wanted very badly. You score 100% on the test. But they give the promotion to someone who only scored 60% because your skin was the wrong colour?
I would figure that it may be more qualities than just test scores, that got the other person the job. And you don't know that the factors that I've mentioned, were made a part of the fire fighter's test. If you didn't see the test, you have no way of knowing.

At any rate, your whining about minorities taking all the jobs from you whites, doesn't hold any credibility with me. Especially not with there being twice as many blacks out of work now, as whites are!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I am a woman in engineering. I have turned down opportunities in my company BECAUSE I was picked due to me being a woman.
The guys I work with know that I am where I am because of my skills, not my gender. These guys know that I don't "play the girl card". And it becomes quite well known among the peons who got a job based on diversity vs skill. Then you just sit back and watch them crash and hope to heck you don't get assigned to be on their team.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
The entire IDEA of affirmative action would have Martin Luther King rolling in his grave today.

He dreamed of a day when PEOPLE would be judged not by the colour of their skin but by their qualities.

Artificial Advantages were not part of that dream.
You can't seem to grasp the concept, that white females have been the winners in the Affirmative action game-NOT minorities. So you can't use AA as any 'proof', of racism against whites.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I am a woman in engineering. I have turned down opportunities in my company BECAUSE I was picked due to me being a woman.
The guys I work with know that I am where I am because of my skills, not my gender. These guys know that I don't "play the girl card". And it becomes quite well known among the peons who got a job based on diversity vs skill. Then you just sit back and watch them crash and hope to heck you don't get assigned to be on their team.
As a female, you ought to know better than to fall-back on the Affirmative action equals racism against whites game. Whether you're a white male, or a white female, the fact remains that minorities have benefitted less from Affirmative action, than white females have.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That statistic is not new to this recession. Black unemployment rates have always been higher than for Whites.

Do you think racism is the only reason ?
In the case of minorities, yes. Most of us, don't own companies, or do the hiring for jobs.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,181 times
Quote:
You can't seem to grasp the concept, that white females have been the winners in the Affirmative action game-NOT minorities. So you can't use AA as any 'proof', of racism against whites.

Obviously you failed to actually READ what I posted....

Quote:
The entire IDEA of affirmative action would have Martin Luther King rolling in his grave today.

He dreamed of a day when PEOPLE would be judged not by the colour of their skin but by their qualities.

Artificial Advantages were not part of that dream.
I said that Affirmative Action would make MLK roll in his grave.

I quoted his words.

I paraphrased his words.

I DID NOT say that ANYONE in particular (as you said "whites") were victims.

I stand by my words exactly as they were posted.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
In the case of minorities, yes. Most of us, don't own companies, or do the hiring for jobs.
So education or lack of plays no part ?
Are you aware of education statistics relative to race ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies