Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Exactly. Still waiting. But not holding my breath! lol.

I love it when posters make claims such as this. Must be a hunch. Or maybe they think if they say it enough it will become true. lol.

They say Obama won because he was smarter. But it seems a lot of his voter base were people desperate for a saviour. Someone to take care of them, give them their universal healthcare, improve their lot in life, increase their welfare, extend their unemployment. . .

I recall democratics driving alot of people to the polls, dragging out of their homes to make sure they vote. Truth is Obama won because he appealed to the masses. Doesn't take much intellectual prowess to figure that one out.
And it seems that a lot of his voters were educated, gainfully employed, financially secure, well-insured, in no need of government assistance of any kind, and very content with their lot in life.

Generalizations work either way and, consequently, serve no useful purpose. Doesn't take much intellectual prowess to figure that one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Do you think whites are facing racism nowadays?

No.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I would submit that promoting firefighters that actually scored lower on the test for promotion based solely upon their skin colour actually puts the public in danger.

I want the best and brightest in charge of my safety.

Would you want a SURGEON working on YOU who scored lower on a test than the other guy?
In some cases "diversity" takes the front seat to skill and abilities.
That, my friend, has made many weary of minorities in jobs because then you don't know if they got there by skill or by affirmative action.

AA has done more harm than good for minorities IMHO.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I would submit that promoting firefighters that actually scored lower on the test for promotion based solely upon their skin colour actually puts the public in danger.

I want the best and brightest in charge of my safety.

Would you want a SURGEON working on YOU who scored lower on a test than the other guy?
You have the mistaken notion, that how someone scores on a test, is the only measure of their capabilities. I'd want a CAPABLE surgeon working on me, not just one with high test scores. Test scores measure knowledge that was memorized for a test.

On the other hand, good capabilities can include using sound judgement under duress, the ability to think quickly, act quickly, having excellent motor skills, excellent physical abilities like endurance and strength, great social skills, and great leadership skills.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Yes I know all about the word 'proof'. If my statement alone doesn't give you enough proof, then nothing else will!

Well, then I'm not convinced due to a complete lack of proof.

In fact, since you cannot PROVE your claim, I have even more reason to say you made a false statement.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
You have the mistaken notion, that how someone scores on a test, is the only measure of their capabilities. I'd want a CAPABLE surgeon working on me, not just one with high test scores. Test scores measure knowledge that was memorized for a test.

On the other hand, good capabilities can include using sound judgement under duress, the ability to think quickly, act quickly, have excellent motor skills, excellent physical abilities like endurance and strength, great social skills, and great leadership skills.

You just shot yourself in the foot.

The test for promotion was designed specifically to test for all areas needed to get a promotion within the Fire Department.

I'm quite sure factors such as you mentioned were made a part of said test.

Plus, you still haven't addressed my question:

How would you feel if you were told that you were taking a test that would determine who in your office got a promotion that you wanted very badly. You score 100% on the test. But they give the promotion to someone who only scored 60% because your skin was the wrong colour?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In some cases "diversity" takes the front seat to skill and abilities.That, my friend, has made many weary of minorities in jobs because then you don't know if they got there by skill or by affirmative action.

AA has done more harm than good for minorities IMHO.

You are so right, there are so many White People at my job that got their due to their skin color that it's not even funny anymore.

Then we have to actually train these people to do the job that they supposedly were already proficient in.

Whenever we get another one of them, we just shake our heads at the new future "supervisor in training" that going to go down in flames because their "diversity" got them the job supervising "us".

Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
You are so right, there are so many White People at my job that got their due to their skin color that it's not even funny anymore.

Then we have to actually train these people to do the job that they supposedly were already proficient in.

Whenever we get another one of them, we just shake our heads at the new future "supervisor in training" that going to go down in flames because their "diversity" got them the job supervising "us".
AA doesn't apply to Whites though.
That's the "Good Ole Boy" network or nepotism..take your pick.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 AM

The entire IDEA of affirmative action would have Martin Luther King rolling in his grave today.

He dreamed of a day when PEOPLE would be judged not by the colour of their skin but by their qualities.

Artificial Advantages were not part of that dream.

Quote:
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
No one can change a world full of prejudiced people....but they can quit using it as an excuse to fail and whine.....regardless of their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies