Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:46 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times

Advertisements

Due to complaints from customers who reported they had trouble communicating with Indian agents, Delta stopped routing calls to India-based call centers over the first three months of the year. Delta is moving these jobs back to the U.S., but will keep call centers operating in South Africa and Jamaica where complaints have not been as heavy SLM (Fannie Mae) is moving its overseas operations back to the U.S., pulling jobs from Mexico, India and the Phillippines. Now, we need to start bringing some of the good paying IT jobs back from India. No more HB 1 visas.
Delta stops using India call centers: report | U.S. | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:00 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
good

Old 04-18-2009, 12:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I got curious and started digging. Most of us believe they get paid 10 cents day over there working call centers. But they dont and they get good benifits too. The problem seems to be stress over long hours sitting in one chair without getting up.

Due to this a once dream job has turned to dread for college grads. So call centers seem to be having problems filling jobs now.

One thing I did not know is they all change their names to a favorte American name.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Besides changing their names, they get lessons in our slang and read our newspapers for current events. Some of them actually try to small talk with you but all it takes is one key question and bam..they go silent.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:15 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Due to complaints from customers who reported they had trouble communicating with Indian agents, Delta stopped routing calls to India-based call centers over the first three months of the year. Delta is moving these jobs back to the U.S., but will keep call centers operating in South Africa and Jamaica where complaints have not been as heavy SLM (Fannie Mae) is moving its overseas operations back to the U.S., pulling jobs from Mexico, India and the Phillippines. Now, we need to start bringing some of the good paying IT jobs back from India. No more HB 1 visas.
Good to hear. Hopefully, more companies follow suit.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,642 times
Default This is Horrible!

No offense to my Foreign Friends!

It's so frustrating to try to talk to a tech person to help me fix my laptop I cannot understand!

I always asks for an American!!

I bought it in America, I should have a American Technical support person.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Great that those jobs are coming back! I disagree with you though about cutting off H1B visas... they are vital to American businesses... point blank, we need H1B folks to fill critical technical positions. The amount given per year has already been cut in half or so.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
If you ever have to call Travelocity, you will speak with Indian agents, no matter your problem, and you probably will, like I did, get shuttled from one to another who are very difficult to understand (but helpful)

However, if you have to change your ticket, they charge you $180.00 to do it (thankfully I can do it thru the airline for $100)

Screw Travelocity, they suck. Dont use them.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Great that those jobs are coming back! I disagree with you though about cutting off H1B visas... they are vital to American businesses... point blank, we need H1B folks to fill critical technical positions. The amount given per year has already been cut in half or so.
How is it possible that a country with 300 million citizens needs HB1 people?

Are you suggesting that there are no Americans educated enough to fill these jobs? Because that's not what I'm hearing from American tech folks.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:08 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
How is it possible that a country with 300 million citizens needs HB1 people?

Are you suggesting that there are no Americans educated enough to fill these jobs? Because that's not what I'm hearing from American tech folks.
Unfortunately, the US has fallen behind in math and science... we find very few qualified American scientists -- trust me, we look for them. Whenever we open it up to H1B folks, we are flooded with qualified resumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies