Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
BRITISH scientists have developed the world’s first stem cell therapy to cure the most common cause of blindness. Surgeons predict it will become a routine, one-hour procedure that will be generally available in six or seven years’ time.

The treatment involves replacing a layer of degenerated cells with new ones created from embryonic stem cells. It was pioneered by scientists and surgeons from the Institute of Ophthalmology at University College London and Moorfields eye hospital.

This week Pfizer, the world’s largest pharmaceutical research company, will announce its financial backing to bring the therapy to patients.
The treatment will tackle age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the most common cause of blindness. It affects more than 500,000 Britons and the number is forecast to increase significantly as people live longer. The disease involves the loss of eye cells.
Blind to be cured with stem cells - Times Online

This is great news. Now we are seeing the virtues of embryonic stem cell research... What Obama has accomplished in his first 100 days is remarkable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:07 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
This is great news. Now we are seeing the virtues of embryonic stem cell research... What Obama has accomplished in his first 100 days is remarkable...
That's funny... Last time I checked Obama was not the leader of Britain... So how could this be his accomplishment?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Wonder if the same outcome could be done with adult stem cells. They are learning embryo stem cells can cause cancer so why not use the patients own stem cells?

And I don't think Obama has anything to do with Britain's medical laws. LOL

Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
That's funny... Last time I checked Obama was not the leader of Britain... So how could this be his accomplishment?
I think the OP is referring to Obama's Executive Order, which lifted the ban on federal funding for stem cell research. Since the OP's topic involves Europe making recent significant advances in stem cell research, I think the OP was simply pointing out that Obama has changed the regulations so that the US is now able to participate in research which could lead to future significant medical findings related to stem cells, as well.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I think the OP is referring to Obama's Executive Order, which lifted the ban on federal funding for stem cell research. Since the OP's topic involves Europe making recent significant advances in stem cell research, I think the OP was simply pointing out that Obama has changed the regulations so that the US is now able to participate in research which could lead to future significant medical findings related to stem cells, as well.
Thank you...

Old 04-19-2009, 12:14 AM

122 posts, read 210,016 times
Quote:
I think the OP was simply pointing out that Obama has changed the regulations so that the US is now able to participate in research
The US was always able to perform stem cell research. There was a regulation as to the funding of governmental stem cell research but private companies could always do it.

I don't see how putting new cells in the macular area will resolve anything. They have to stop the root of the problem which is waste deposits that form there and push the cells aside and destroy them. Putting news cells there will not resolve an ARMD problem. I guess I would have to read a more detailed article. It would probably be just a temporary treatment until it flares up again. Also, the risk of an invasive procedure into the eyeball is high for inflammation and infection. I doubt it would become mainstream like they say.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:47 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
The US was always able to perform stem cell research. There was a regulation as to the funding of governmental stem cell research but private companies could always do it.
Due to budgetary, training and equipment constraints, and due to the previous federal policy which limited the number of pre-existing embryonic stem cell lines that biomedical scientists in this country were allowed to use, privately-funded research options were severely limited, and the research iself was much less cost-efficient and much, much more slow-going than it is now that federal funding is available.

So, technically, yes, private companies could perform stem-cell research previously. However, their research was not even remotely as effective and efficient as that of federally-funded biomedical research institutions.

Last edited by Politico; 04-19-2009 at 01:02 AM..

Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
What A RELIEF to have a president that supports SCIENCE over FAITH!

Whoot!

Go Barack Obama! If these wise decisions are made in less than a 100 days, give me eight more years!

Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
barry is a doctor now? funny, I just tought he was the biggest idiot in US presidential history.

Quote:

Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times
Quote:

THat is FANTASTIC news!!!

There is plenty of potential in stem cell research - both embryonic stem cell research, and adult stem cell research...

THANK GOD we finally have a president who is not blinded to science by his personal religious hangups..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies