Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,824,519 times

Advertisements

I think true conservatism is more of a live and let live attitude. legislating morals came from the christian conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Limiting personal freedom is not really conservative, although lots of conservatives want to force their beliefs on all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,535,773 times
1 CONservative thing George W Bush did?

Ruin the country just like the rest of the CONservatives.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:12 PM

9,867 posts, read 10,769,750 times
Lets be real, W is not a Pricipled Conservative, he swerved in that direction periodically either because he knew it was important to do, to keep his base or because on some issues he leans Conservative, but it is not his core belief, he is not a pro active, movement Conservative. If he were, Obama would not be in the White house right now. I will give you 2 Conservative things he did do though, Alito & Roberts, and those are something Conservatives should be gratefull for.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
so your answer is that you have no answer. GWB was a liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
1 CONservative thing George W Bush did?

Ruin the country just like the rest of the CONservatives.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM

946 posts, read 2,593,585 times
Conservative is a good thing (at least for me, since I'm getting up there in years). It means you don't take chances, don't change just because it's the new fashion, you go with what works even if it's not the most efficient. This explains why senior citizens drive mostly old American cars.
Unfortunately, the actions of our country have been anything but conservative. They've consisted of reckless decisions, wild gambles, willful ignorance, and a contempt for our constitution and citizenry that has not been surpassed since the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:25 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,535,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
so your answer is that you have no answer. GWB was a liberal.
I have tons of answers. Just look in my post history.

And GWB was not a liberal. Ever see the big fat R next to his name?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:28 PM

yes I have. you think republicans are conservative? now I've heard everything. bush did some nation building, doubled the size of the federal government, expanded the department of education, and nationalized banks. you are just upset because his liberal ideas failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I have tons of answers. Just look in my post history.

And GWB was not a liberal. Ever see the big fat R next to his name?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:32 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,362,569 times
Quote:
seriously, just 1. that's all I ask. the liberals in here are claiming that conservative ideas have failed. I beg to differ. GWB was the biggest liberal the white house has ever seen. seems more like the liberalism experimental fad is the one that is failing.

That's a ludicrous claim. He did not support diversity, he did not support the rule of law, he did not treat military intervention as a last resort and he did not support the efforts to control overpopulation or efforts to protect the environment. He's as liberal as Albert Speer. I won't argue that he's a Conservative, because he isn't. He's of the Neoconservative mold, that combines the worst features of both philosophies.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:33 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,042,260 times
Quote:
I think true conservatism is more of a live and let live attitude. legislating morals came from the christian conservatives.
You keep trying to draw a distinction between fiscal conservatives and social conservatives, which seems kind of pointless since the social conservatives have been the ones running the Republican Party for the better part of the last three decades. As far as I'm concerned the two conservative factions are indistinguishable from one another.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:36 PM

what the hell does that even mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
That's a ludicrous claim. He did not support diversity, he did not support the rule of law, he did not treat military intervention as a last resort and he did not support the efforts to control overpopulation or efforts to protect the environment. He's as liberal as Albert Speer. I won't argue that he's a Conservative, because he isn't. He's of the Neoconservative mold, that combines the worst features of both philosophies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies