Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,571,454 times

Advertisements

Hurry Up and Use More Oil: They’re Running Out of Room to Store It All! (http://www.twilightearth.com/2009/03/hurry-up-and-use-more-oil-theyre-running-out-of-room-to-store-it-all/ - broken link)

Quote:
The demand for crude oil has dropped dramatically, and now oil producers are sitting on a glut of it, waiting for prices to rise. The storage facilities are running out of room, supertankers are parked offshore with full loads, and investors are left hanging.

More than 30 tankers, rented by oil companies, with capacities of 2 million barrels of oil each, are now simply floating storage tanks. The crews are idle, and the companies have them moored all over the world, just waiting. It’s good business for the owners of the tankers, with rental charges up at $75,000 per day.
Source

Hmm...things are going to get very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,835,363 times
perhaps now the idiots in washington will remove our huge tax on brazilian sugar so we can really stick it to those oil countries.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,832,510 times
You are sooo right walidm. Rep to you

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,711,508 times
I guess the price at the pump will start going up....after all, any excuse will do.

They'll be saying the cost of storing what we arent burning, has to be offset by higher costs to the consumer. Sounds about right, no?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
you mean OPEC will no longer be rich and be able to force us into wars at tax payer expense??? no no not that.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
I think the economics argument here is a little off kilter. "Sitting on a glut, waiting for prices to rise". From a refiners standpoint, sure, make it cheap, sell it high. But last time I checked, high prices slowed down the purchase of oil/gas. A glut should make prices go down. That's just more evidence that our own companies are screwing our own people.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,571,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think the economics argument here is a little off kilter. "Sitting on a glut, waiting for prices to rise". From a refiners standpoint, sure, make it cheap, sell it high. But last time I checked, high prices slowed down the purchase of oil/gas. A glut should make prices go down. That's just more evidence that our own companies are screwing our own people.
Interesting.

Quote:
Bottom line: oil companies only "develop leases when it is most profitable to do so."

"There are clearly oil and gas resources that are undeveloped in some of the existing leases," said Frank Rusco, with the GAO.

The Department of the Interior estimates 68 billion barrels of oil lie in areas already accessible to drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska. But today, nearly half of the existing rigs sit idle. Setting the stage, experts insist, for yet another oil crisis when the economy comes back to life.

"I suspect we'll end up having a shock, and a shortage and then the prices will skyrocket," said Matthew Simmons, an energy investment banker.
Source

hmm....there is that 50mpg VW....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies