Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM

492 posts, read 961,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is something that has always perplexed me. There are Americans who know little of the world outside of their own country (or, indeed, state), but are open to learning about these places. However, there seems to be a significant minority of Americans who are not only ignorant of the world, but who revel in this ignorance
It's that classic liberal progressive education american kids get from K-12 and college and graduate school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneshintzy View Post
This is something that has always perplexed me. There are Americans who know little of the world outside of their own country (or, indeed, state), but are open to learning about these places. However, there seems to be a significant minority of Americans who are not only ignorant of the world, but who revel in this ignorance.

Perhaps knowledge of the Basque and Catalonian questions, the situation in Northern Ireland, the rise of fascist elements in western Europe, etc. is something which will never impact on their lives in any way. But this arrogant world view held by some Americans is something I've always found very odd.

I think our country is a great one. But people who claim it "the greatest country in the world" with no knowledge of the outside world, and with ignorant views about conditions in the countries they denigrate? Something that's always bothered me....

Consider the isolation the American people actually have. We have two vast oceans to the east and west, we have two relatively friendly nations to our north and south, and our nearest problem country has been Cuba which has never been any more of a threat than throwing banana's at us.

Due to the close proximity of such cultural diveristy that is experienced in Europe, the Near/Middle East and Asia, as well as the African continent, these people have long dealt with a variety of threats and most certainly terrorism. On the other hand, look at the response that 9-11 invoked in comparison. While certainly horrific and most definitely worthy of response, we not only responded, we changed our laws, we changed our culture, we changed our policies and national mindset as though 1 billion Chinamen armed with nuclear tipped bullets in their AK's were storming the beaches in South Carolina.

While certainly not the only reason, I suspect that our isolation from the rest of the world plays a fundamental role.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Please provide some examples of this "revelry in ignorance".
How about people who read right-wing posts in P&OC and still have to ask for examples....

Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneshintzy View Post
This is something that has always perplexed me. There are Americans who know little of the world outside of their own country (or, indeed, state), but are open to learning about these places. However, there seems to be a significant minority of Americans who are not only ignorant of the world, but who revel in this ignorance.

Perhaps knowledge of the Basque and Catalonian questions, the situation in Northern Ireland, the rise of fascist elements in western Europe, etc. is something which will never impact on their lives in any way. But this arrogant world view held by some Americans is something I've always found very odd.

I think our country is a great one. But people who claim it "the greatest country in the world" with no knowledge of the outside world, and with ignorant views about conditions in the countries they denigrate? Something that's always bothered me....
Those who shriek the loudest of how America is the greatest country in the world are usually some of the most ignorant of the world.

It's not coincidental, this relationship. It's deliberately manufactured by the conservative and corporate controlled mainstream media.

The government, and its propaganda arm, the media, have every desire to insure Americans remain ignorant of things like...............why we invaded Iraq. Or why we continue to fund, arm, and encourage Israeli aggression. Or this country's role in Iran, exactly 50 years prior to the invasion of Iraq (1953 for those who are uber patriotic)

Dumb Americans don't ask many penetrating questions, and in the end, thats the goal of a government that the people no longer have alot of involvement with

Old 04-24-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
It's that classic liberal progressive education american kids get from K-12 and college and graduate school.
Doesnt sound like it worked on half of this forum. More than half, actually. Maybe we need stricter standards. Like more liberals who tell the truth (or are at least aware of it)

Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How knowledgeable are people in other countries about the world? Are people in Ireland any more knowledgeable about the world?
Yea. They have to be. They have to cooperate with it instead of try and control it.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Some Americans are very astute about world events. Some Americans are not. Some Europeans are astute aboutworld events some are not.

Stop the Americans are ignorant rhetoric. Some are , some are not.
Some French people are arrogant some are not.
Correctomundo!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Maybe we need stricter standards. Like more liberals who tell the truth (or are at least aware of it)
Same goes for the other side. They are not getting gold stars in sunday school either.

What we need are more people who understand that everything doesn't have to be a fight between liberals and conservitives.
Either (as Americans) we all win or we all lose.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's worthy of note, no doubt. But i'd be less concerned about why your neighbor knows nothing about the "Basque and Catalonian question" and more concerned why they can't name the Speaker of the House or even which party currently controls Congress. Our media deserves a good portion of the blame.
No question. How else do you think the pairing of John McCain and Sarah Palin could garner 46% of the popular vote!

It's as amazing as it is sad.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
How about people who read right-wing posts in P&OC and still have to ask for examples....

I can't rep ya, wish I could..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies