Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times

Advertisements

Typically unions form in skilled trades, not minimum wage jobs. There is a reason why those jobs are unskilled, and as a result they pay minimum wage. Also, unions typically exist in actual careers, not burger flipping jobs.. It is not normal to stick with a job at a fast food joint for the entire length of your working life, so membership in a fast food union would be pointless. The same applies for grocery stores and other chain stores - People do not generally make careers out of such jobs, unless they have management positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
This does not answer my question. This is irrelevant to the subject.

What would YOU do in this situation?
What I would do, is exactly what I have done many times in my youth, QUIT!! I have been in the work force for over 30 years, for a majority of those years I didnt have benefits or even know when where or how much my next check was going to be, I have quit, been fired and layed off of more jobs than I can remember, Not once did I think that anyone owed me a thing, I have worked for some real aholes, and everytime, I became a better more experienced person, When you go to work for some one you understand its their sandbox and if you dont like it leave it. The business model of fast food is what it is, it is not going to change, take you're experience and go out and create something with you're vision of how you think it should be . You will get a whole new perspective on life. I promise!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Typically unions form in skilled trades, not minimum wage jobs. There is a reason why those jobs are unskilled, and as a result they pay minimum wage. Also, unions typically exist in actual careers, not burger flipping jobs.. It is not normal to stick with a job at a fast food joint for the entire length of your working life, so membership in a fast food union would be pointless. The same applies for grocery stores and other chain stores - People do not generally make careers out of such jobs, unless they have management positions.
You know what? I agree up to a point.

I just think the way some of these people are treated is disgusting.

They dont have anyone stopping them or telling them to stop it and reconsider.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
That was rude of him!

Was something wrong with your hearing? Did he like tell you something and you did not hear?

Yeah about finding that new job...it is MUCH easier SAID than done. Especially in MI where Detroit has an unemployement rate of 22 percent.

Either way sorry about your boss saying that. He will get what he deserves.
Unfortunately, I heard that he has cancer. That actually sadden me as I would never wish any harm to him. He had a heavy, european accent that I found challenging and I'm a little hard of hearing to begin with. I had asked him nicely to repeat something and the idiot yelled that to me in frustration. That was 10 years ago and I don't look back. I just market the skills that I gained from that job and move on.

I realize that the job market is tough but don't give up. Just be perseverent and keep developing your marketable skills. The times that you acted in a managerial capacity can be used to market yourself to prospective employers. Use that in your resume.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
What I would do, is exactly what I have done many times in my youth, QUIT!! I have been in the work force for over 30 years, for a majority of those years I didnt have benefits or even know when where or how much my next check was going to be, I have quit, been fired and layed off of more jobs than I can remember, Not once did I think that anyone owed me a thing, I have worked for some real aholes, and everytime, I became a better more experienced person, When you go to work for some one you understand its their sandbox and if you dont like it leave it. The business model of fast food is what it is, it is not going to change, take you're experience and go out and create something with you're vision of how you think it should be . You will get a whole new perspective on life. I promise!
I can understand where you are coming from. I dont say anyone owes me anything either. I just want to be treated with respect and be able to eat if I work 8 hours!

I could not afford to quit. You make it sound so easy. As I said, I am a college student. I have tuition, food..you know the rest.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:07 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
I live in Macomb Twp. Where did you live? And yeah, it is tough here. It is very very sad.
macomb township, ouch.
i currently live in DC, but moved from union, MI, after working in elkhart, IN, which may be one of the few places in the country that have an even higher unemployment rate than your area-- which is why i no longer live there
it is indeed sad, a lot of good people have it incredibly hard through no fault of their own.

Quote:
Yeah, it is against the law. I once asked a manager for a lunch and she said to me "Are you an adult? OVer 18?" I said "Yeah". She said "I dont have to give you anything."

I was like "Wha..?!"

I dont work at Burger King anymore but I know if you went a took a lunch without them giving you permission..well..it depends on who you are. If they like you, they'll laugh it off or maybe just give you a warning. If they did not like you...dun dun dun!!!! You know. Hahah.
yep, i'm familiar with that sort of situation, all right /
it's more a matter of who you are and who you know than what happens to be written down in the employee handbook.

Quote:
Yeah,I know it is not a bad thing to live at home still. There is no way I could make it on my own. I know most right leaning people dont think that. Just some nutty people on this board do. It really got my blood boiling when a certain member was belittling all the people who were 20 something and at home.

I asked him what he expected me to do and how he expected me to survive on 5.95 an hour. He never replied. Him and his other buddy here too. I guess they have no answers.
from what i can see, you are doing your very best in a difficult situation, so you have my best wishes

Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
my mom is a teacher and she hates her union because they tried to force her to vote for obama. they sent her crap in the mail and called her nonstop.
I work in a job that is unionized (but I'm part-time so receive few benefits). My former job was a full-time unionized job. I got so much junk propaganda from those two during the last presidential campaign that I pity the trees that were chopped! My old union can't face the fact that I'm no longer a dues paying member and I still get their propaganda. Arrggh!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
That was me. Try eating lunch while you have sick person staring at you waiting for their prescription. It is no fun!
That sick person was probably me. LOL! I once gave a pharmacist who was on lunch a hard time about having to wait until she returned to have my prescription filled. I guess I was cantakerous that day.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This is my philosophy!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
macomb township, ouch.
i currently live in DC, but moved from union, MI, after working in elkhart, IN, which may be one of the few places in the country that have an even higher unemployment rate than your area-- which is why i no longer live there
it is indeed sad, a lot of good people have it incredibly hard through no fault of their own.

yep, i'm familiar with that sort of situation, all right /
it's more a matter of who you are and who you know than what happens to be written down in the employee handbook.

from what i can see, you are doing your very best in a difficult situation, so you have my best wishes
Yeah.

We live near Detroit as you may know. Detroit has their unemployment rate of 22 percent. So so so sad. My sisters best friend (She is younger than me) had her entire family foreclosed. Her dad fell off the roof and was not able to work again. They are leaving tomorrow. She was over to say good bye to my sister today.

It rips me apart to see this country like this. From what I remember in schools, America was founded on "Those who try hard will be successful." It seems so untrue these days. People are trying so hard to keep everything together. One day, your boss comes in and...its over, you know?

This is why I am also against welfare cards. Working at Target AND Bath and Body Works (Which dont even ask me about that-if you are on welfare you should be nowhere NEAR that store ) I have seen many people try to buy things on the EBT card. Things that I know damn right should not be purchased on it. I speak up about it when I can. But you know it goes though.

Thank you for your wishes. I will remember them even I am discouraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies