Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 04:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
She answered the question she was asked.

Perez didn't like her answer (as I'm sure most gays didn't).

And that's too bad.

I don't think the woman is crying over her answer she said what she believed and that's the way it should be, not to give some kiss-butt lie to a judge because you think that's what will make you win.

She said what a lot of people believe - whether you like it or not.
Look, I understand that that's what a lot of people believe. My impression is that you're saying that a judge should ignore his own reaction to a contestant's answer. That's not how it works.

Again, what's the point of having a question/answer category, and how should the judges score their answers?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
She said what a lot of people believe - whether you like it or not.
And she got the score that she got - whether you like it or not.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
I'll tell you something quite frankly - I would cry if my son told me he was gay too.

I think it's unnatural for people of the same sex to kiss as lovers in public and hold hands.

The reason why the "F word" is tossed around so freely as a "cut down" by kids is because to most people it's detestable.

Same-sex marriage is a strange concept to me.

And I know I am not in the minority when I say this.

P.S. - my beliefs have zero to do with religion because I don't practice any religion.
Of course it feels unnatural and strange to you. You're straight. And that's exactly how most gay people feel about the idea of being with someone of the opposite sex. It would be unnatural and strange for them.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureblood View Post
But still she can say what ever she wants. She even said no offense. She actually stood up for what she belives. Perez called her a biotch and wanted to call her a c**t.
I agree with you. He's offensive, and I don't care for him at all.

But I think people here are saying that he should have ignored his personal response to her answer and just given her a "10" because she gave an answer. If that's the case, then what's the point of scoring the contestants on the question/answer category at all?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I just think the whole anti-gay epidemic has been blown out of proportion, and like I said earlier in the thread, name me another group of people who doesn't face some kind of discrimination every single day.
Yes, lots of groups face discrimination. But I think most people agree that gays face more discrimination than most other groups. That's why I posted the poll on the thread about the least desirable characteristics.

Even though "fat" was almost seen as undesirable as "gay", I would ask:

Which would you rather have? A son who is fat and heterosexual, or lean and homosexual? I have little doubt that most people would prefer an overweight, heterosexual son to a lean, homosexual son.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:50 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I appreciate that, and thank you for remaining civil. I try, but on the gay issue, it's sometimes hard for me to remain unbiased and rational. Although you may not hold much hostility toward those who are gay, many others do.
OK, but I will be honest with you. If we really sat down and talked about the whole issue, you would end up probably not liking me very much. I admit that. Our opinions would be very different, and you wouldn't agree with a lot of my views. But I would try to be respectful about it the entire time. Part of the problem is that people aren't being respectful to other people, even if they absolutely HATE the views they express. I've been as guilty as anyone here, but I am making it my business to change.

It would be nice if people could limit their hostilities towards one another to the views expressed, and not actually have any ill-feelings towards the actual person. Right now it's just not going to happen. But like I said before, 50 years from now people aren't going to see things the same way. I'm set in my ways, my kids will grow up to be less set in their ways (and I want that to be the case), and their kids won't believe anyone ever fought about the things we fight about now.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 PM

471 posts, read 587,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Maybe if the government outlawed opposite sex marriage, you'd be the "flaming ass" out there fighting for your rights.

Riiiiiiiight... The fact hat ONLY a man and a woman can procreate I find it funny you even think your argument is reasonable. Find me two guys or two girls that can procreate and populate this world and ill petition to outlaw opposite marriage myself. With out the help of science either.

Oh and since I am not a flamboyant gay man I lack the ability to be a flamer. Which Perez is. He is a VERY VERY Flamboyant gay man.

And just so every one doesnt loose their minds.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Yes, lots of groups face discrimination. But I think most people agree that gays face more discrimination than most other groups.
I live in a city where roughly 33% of the population is Jewish. I'm not, but many of my friends are, and some former girlfriends are too. I can tell you that a lot of the remaining population has at least some hostility towards them, even if they don't mean it, and even if they don't think they do. Maybe it just depends on where you live, but around here I think Jews face worse problems than gays. I think blacks do too. Remember, you can always tell who the black guy is walking down the sidewalk, but you don't always know who's gay. None of that matters to me, but to a lot of people it does. I see people squirm when black men get on the subway every single day. I'm not lying to you when I tell you that a lot of groups have it just as bad, if not worse, than gays here; and this is supposed to be an area where nobody is treated that way.

Quote:
Which would you rather have? A son who is fat and heterosexual, or lean and homosexual? I have little doubt that most people would prefer an overweight, heterosexual son to a lean, homosexual son.
Honestly? I would want a lean and heterosexual son. That's what this thread is about though, isn't it? Unpopular answers to popular questions. At least let me explain mine. With a history of heart disease in my family, I've worked very hard in life to keep in shape, and the concerns I have for myself would be passed on to my children. And as far as not wanting a gay son, OK, I admit that I would not be happy about it. But I would not love my child any less. And if he found someone who made him happy, that person would be welcomed into my home. It would take a lot of adjustment for me, but I've lost enough family members to illness in my lifetime. I'm not losing anyone because of my own views which they do not share, or their own biology which they did not choose.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
Liberals aren't tolerant of intolerance. Maybe you didn't know that.
I don't believe that Miss California stated that gays should be shipped away or tortured until they recanted of their sexual orientation. She simply stated her opinion.

But why should I be surprised of gays' "intolerance"?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 PM

471 posts, read 587,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Uh... just look around in CD - I don't see anyone who isn't "honest and true to themselves" on their opinions. What's that supposed to imply? That only anti gay people are "honest and true"?

No, if you take off your blinders you could realize we all set behind a computer screen with a fake screen name. She was in front of the ENTIRE viewing public. Answering a VERY controversial question. Asked by a lousy excuse for a publicity hungery nobody. So yes, the fact that she stood her ground is far more commendable than some one on here spouting from his or her soap box. You and I included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies