Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Maybe not, but their attitudes definitely don't make matters any easier for us either.
I agree to a certain extent. Most straight people personally know gay people. They work with them, they're related to them, etc. If someone doesn't know any gays, I can see how their impressions could be formed by what they see of Hilton or O'Donnell, but with each year that passes, there's fewer people like that.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The more they pitch a fit over it the more ridiculous they all look.

Why would you think it could pass in 2010?
Because all of the trends show a growing movement toward the acceptance of same-sex marriage. We're at the tipping point in California.

Also, the difference between the vote on Prop. 22 in 2000 and Prop. 8 in 2008 was huge. Essentially, acceptance of same-sex marriage grew by 1 percentage point every year between 2000 and 2008.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Quote:
Every state recognizes marriage. How many recognize civil unions?
How many employers/hospitals/etc recognize civil unions and offer partners the same rights and benefits as they would a spouse? That's where the inequality comes in. It's not universally recognized.

If all those opposed to gay marriage were to approve of civil unions being recognized universally the same way marriage is, just without the term "marriage" being used, there would be no issue for most people. But that is not the case.
Do you not realize that I do not have access to my husbands medical records unless he says I do! Because of Hippa.....
In fact some Dr's will not even let you make a appointment for your spouse which I think is ridiculous.
I have been married 19 years!

Where is your argument now
I'm well aware of the restrictions HIPAA covers. Access to medical records requires permission from the patient, obviously. That has little to do with all the other benefits and rights married couples receive that gay couples who cannot marry are denied. Read my post again and put some thought into all of those things (employee health benefits, patient visitation rights, lower insurance rates, tax deductions, etc - just to name a few). Maybe then you'll begin to understand why people bring up the equal rights issue.

Last edited by Ludachris; 04-22-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The more they pitch a fit over it the more ridiculous they all look.

Why would you think it could pass in 2010?
I think the people fighting for it to pass in CA now realize that they're up against large, ruthless religious groups pouring money in from out of state. The millions that came in from the Mormon church in Utah alone to promote Prop 8 was insane... and some of the commercials, wow. California got a lot of help in making their decision from strong outside influences.

I'd bet that things might be different in the future.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:05 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,345,899 times
Default tell me it ain't so...aunt joe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I agree, I think that the judges should definately take the answers into account when they vote. If she had said that she didn't think that Jews should be allowed to get married or that blacks should be prevented from marrying whites, BTW two laws that actually did exist and enjoyed popular support at one time, it would have been considered outrageous not to boot her racist, bigoted ass out of the pageant much less not vote for her to win. I don't understand how she can be hailed as a hero by some people for espousing hateful bigotry toward an entire group of people. If she is willing to stand on a stage in front of the entire country and proudly proclaim that she believes some humans deserve less freedom and civil rights than others, she should also be willing to deal with the fact that many people will be unwilling to reward such abhorrent behavior.
from what i heard, saw, and read, this gal said nothing about "some humans deserve less freedom and civil rights than others...." in fact, she only stated her personal belief about marriage...i believe she responded that she believed..." marriage is between a man and a woman" ---an acceptable view of a majority for hundreds of years. i saw no "abhorrent" behavior from anyone except that silly queen, perez. it is behavior like his that cause such negative backlashes to policitcal causes in america and other parts of the world.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:36 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,345,899 times
Default queens for a night...

elston post reply-- you are certainly right. the girl was honest with her belief, and, unfortunately, many in the audience did not feel that she had a right to her belief. nothing bigoted about expressing a view...especially when one is asked in a public forum. but, again, you are right, everyone knows that queens love beauty contests and that they would most likely overwhelmingly pad most gatherings---particularly of this size. the sad thing is that you seem to think that these few hold the world view. i believe that is flawed thinking.

Last edited by kingchef; 04-22-2009 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,288,713 times
I think Perez Hilton hurts the gay marriage cause, just like some on the other make the anti gay marriage look like total as#$%&#s. The majority of gay people are good citizens who go to work and obey the law. I think we should be able to have civil conversations with out these extremists on both sides reducing it to name calling and personal attacks.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I think Perez Hilton hurts the gay marriage cause, just like some on the other make the anti gay marriage look like total as#$%&#s. The majority of gay people are good citizens who go to work and obey the law.
I don't know. I think most people see Perez Hilton as a clown. I doubt he has much influence on the marriage issue, one way or the other.

On the other hand, gays are a minority, and a lot of people do have misconceptions about what gay people are really like, so I guess some people might think that Hilton represents all gays.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
A decreasing "norm":
You realize that you cited a website run by 2 Obama voters, right?

Not that they are necessarily biased but they may be.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
You realize that you cited a website run by 2 Obama voters, right?

Not that they are necessarily biased but they may be.
You're talking about fivethirtyeight.com? Yeah, I know he's an Obama supporter, but that graph I posted simply takes poll results and averages them.

RealClearPolitics.com is run by Republicans, but they post poll results that show Obama in a favorable light. Just because someone is a Democrat or Republican doesn't he's biased in everything he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.