Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
You want to pretend that other predisposed conditions should be treated negatively but others should be treated normal because they're a matter of how one's born.
I understand your point, but in what world do you think you're going to convince doctors and psychologists to reclassify homosexual attraction as a mental illness or as something that should be considered a defect?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Another clueless liberal.
Statements like that weaken your argument because it's based on nothing but a general prejudice against liberals.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,487 times
Quote:
Tell me what was the norm for the day. Are you going to pretend that homosexuals weren't closeted and that they wouldn't have been denounced and then some publicly?
What was the norm of the day re: founding fathers and slavery. Are you to presume they would have endorsed the idea of an African American President?........

Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
How am I pretending by saying old traditions were not necessarily just? Plenty of things that were okay back then were just accepted up until the point where they weren't. You can ignore the argument all you want and revise the facts to fit your agenda, as you're doing now. The fact is, my statement is not untrue. We had plenty of "traditions" that were pretty uncivilized. To argue that old traditions should never be changed is ridiculous.

And I never said it was a universal societal belief. But either is the belief that gays do not deserve the same rights as straights. One side is fighting for equal rights, the other is fighting to deny rights so that their long-standing tradition is not "harmed". It's a pretty familiar storyline.
You are pretending that those values were accepted everywhere in this country and they were not. White men bled to free slaves but you want to pretend that it was a societal norm to be prejudiced against blacks.

Talk about fitting an agenda, you want to ignore half of history and only present that which makes it seem like everyone was anti-black and anti-woman.

Quote:
4. A homosexual is predisposed and you want them to embrace what has been considered aberrant behavior for thousands of years by most the planet and for everyone else to promote their behavior because it's their nature.
Left-handedness is aberrant behavior. We're not all alike, you know.

Is your goal to see homosexuality criminalized or classified as a birth defect? What is your goal?

1,577 posts, read 1,956,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
lol... Arrested and tried for treason? On what basis?

I love how you defend freedom of speech and then suggest that Perez Hilton should be arrested for speaking his mind.

I'll look forward to your response because I always enjoy good humor.
LOL did you catch that, she called Perez Paris haha... I'm actually more appauled by Paris....

1,603 posts, read 3,544,303 times
Quote:
Again, animals are property. There is no need for their consent. But hey just ignore fact. Just ignore the headline "Woman weds dolphin" while you're at it.
Lucky for us, nobody's suggesting that marriage should be changed to include non-consenting parties or animals. That's a separate debate for another time.

Why is it that some can't debate this issue without bringing in all of the negative hypothetical situations as arguments against two consenting adults entering into a union we've known for centuries as marriage? Why is it they bring up animals as the next step? As if a gay person is one step away from being an animal. Again, that same argument was used back in the interracial marriage controversy as well - which nobody will even comment on by the way. You will never hear anyone opposing gay marriage reply to the similarities of those two issues and how they were debated in a similar way back then.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
High water mark = liberal states voting down gay marriage.
That's quite different. You're not addressing my response to your post.

You compared homosexuality with criminal behavior. I said that most Americans do not see it that way, and that, in fact, most Americans say that homosexuality is morally acceptable.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Trying to be a retard or just predisposed?
That's the best you could come up with as a response?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get why there was any uproar. I don't agree with her stance on gay marriage but all she did was express her opinion. IMO she didn't do it in an offensive way. I'm judgmental enough myself to assume that most of those beauty pageant contestants would agree with her. If I recall correctly both McCain AND Obama are against gay marriage legislation but people didn't get in an uproar over that. People do have a right to express their opinions, don't they?
Yes, they do. And those who disagree with her have a right to an opinion too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies