Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Along the same vein, should I be content with being a woman here simply because in other countries women are oppressed?
"Well, some women are forced to wear a burka and aren't allowed to be out in public, so I should be THANKFUL that I can vote!"
That's exactly the mentality that some have, yes.

Instead of comparing ourselves to other advanced countries and thinking about how we can make this a better country for everyone, they'd rather point to Iraq and tell us to shut up and just accept things the way they are.

It's a healthy thing to strive for a more equal and more just society. I guess no one taught them that.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good job staying on topic, bud!
He always seems to leave at strategic times.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
No, you're just so blinded by your anti-gay mindset that you're unable to see gay people as complete human beings.
I see al human beings as human beings. All have inherent worth and we all screw things up. There are those who realize they screw things up and make an effort to change and those who make excuses for screwing up and resist changing. But with your blinded vision and anti-religious bigotry you'll dismiss my statement but that's OK. You're so predicatble now.

Quote:
It's interesting that you say I only want to have discussions where everyone agrees with me, but then you say that I'm an attention whor* who couldn't care less if the attention I get is positive or negative. That doesn't make sense.
What don't you understand? You want acceptance and you want attention. You've found that by posting about gay stuff ALL THE DA*# TIME, you can get acceptance and you can also get attention even if it is often negative.

Quote:
I get along with most people here just fine. I've disagreed with liberals and I've agreed with conservatives. There's actually several conservatives here who I really like. I know they'd vouch for me.
And? What does that have to do with your religious bigotry and desperate grasps for attention?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Good job staying on topic, bud!
You just hate it when someone identifies the inconsistentcies in your religious bigotry, huh?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
He always seems to leave at strategic times.
Back to ignore for you you cute little troll.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Yeah, you think encouraging discussion means having everyone agree with you. You're merely an attention who%$ and what's worse is you culdn't care less if it was positive attention or negative. You come across as a preening drama queen.
oh come on

AUM obviously has his own personal interests [gay marriage being not exactly at the top, interestingly enough], as do we all - but he is clearly interested in hearing differing opinions, which is pretty damn rare here.

i've had a fair number of discussions with him and strongly disagree with your characterization.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
No, I don't support it because it portrays those in favor of same-sex marriage as pariahs who want to destroy the foundations of American society. The theme is "us versus them"; "us" being straight people and "them" being gay people.

When I first saw the ad, I actually thought it was a parody of something else. It comes across as melodramatic and schlocky.
ok, i was able to watch it just now.

no question it's melodramatic- basically a bunch of claims with no attempt at substantiation. 'my freedom is being taken away' - uh, okay.. how is your freedom being taken away?

i'm a little disappointed though, i thought this video was going to feature my favorite idiot, paris hilton?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'm a little disappointed though, i thought this video was going to feature my favorite idiot, paris hilton?
lol... Sorry to disappoint you. I'm sure there's plenty of annoying video of Ms. Hilton posted on YouTube to keep you busy. Just don't eat anything before you watch it.

(I'm not sure if calling him "Ms. Hilton" is anti-gay or not. Hmm. I'll have to ponder that. I welcome comments.)

Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Your 'truth' is different from my truth, and I believe religion should have nothing to do with civilized debate.

That said, you say that homosexuals should be ashamed of themselves for the way they were born, and that they should be happy to have what they have here because in other places they would be killed?

Along the same vein, should I be content with being a woman here simply because in other countries women are oppressed?
"Well, some women are forced to wear a burka and aren't allowed to be out in public, so I should be THANKFUL that I can vote!"
We're not comparing homosexuals to women. The first set of people are 2nd class citizens at best while women are equals. That begs the question....do I believe in equality for all? Simple answer is no. Am I prejudiced against homosexuals (def. - to pre-judge)? Answer is yes. Me and about 150 million other people in this country.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,421 times
Quote:
No, you're just so blinded by your anti-gay mindset that you're unable to see gay people as complete human beings.

It's interesting that you say I only want to have discussions where everyone agrees with me, but then you say that I'm an attention whor* who couldn't care less if the attention I get is positive or negative. That doesn't make sense.

I get along with most people here just fine. I've disagreed with liberals and I've agreed with conservatives. There's actually several conservatives here who I really like. I know they'd vouch for me.
When you say 'complete' human being I'm assuming you mean 'equal'? If that's the case then, you're right, I don't see gays as equal.

Don't worry about Omaha, he's close to being a troll himself and most have him on ignore (which is probably also true for me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies