Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,835,363 times

Advertisements

I wrote in a candidate that's been dead for almost 200 years and voted libertarian for local stuff. so I "wasted" my vote. the two party system is a failure, and both parties have failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
So you voted for Obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
Quote:
That's exactly what you do and then barf it back for us..
Hmmm....not a Bush supporter, not really a McCain supporter. You could argue I support my governor (based on my comments on the other thread), which I do for the most part, but not on everything.

I THINK for myself.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:56 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,051,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Hmmm....not a Bush supporter, not really a McCain supporter. You could argue I support my governor (based on my comments on the other thread), which I do for the most part, but not on everything.

I THINK for myself.
LOL right.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
LOL right.
I have a few liberal views and MANY, MANY views that differ from Bush, McCain, Perry, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,051,387 times
Quote:
I have a few liberal views and MANY, MANY views that differ from Bush, McCain, Perry, etc.
I'll wait to hear one...........

Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I'll wait to hear one...........
1. Against capital punishment

2. Against starting unnecessary wars (I have been against Iraq ever since it started; I did support Afghanistan)

3. Believe global warming is at least partially caused by humans and needs to be addressed, though not by the federal government

4. Against excessive spending (Bush and McCain loved to spend excessively)

5. Against any route to citizenship or any form of amnesty for illegals (you know, McCain's bill)

Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
I'm quite frankly sick to death of the federal government overstepping the limits set forth in the U.S. Constitution.

Things like the EPA, federal gun laws, federal drug laws, etc. Maybe some people in Washington need to do some studying of the 10th Amendment.

Anyhow, what's your take on states' rights and on the federal government's repeated willingess to overstep its boundaries?

the goverment has been overstepping the Constitution since wilson was in office, and really bad once fdr was in office.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I wrote in a candidate that's been dead for almost 200 years and voted libertarian for local stuff. so I "wasted" my vote. the two party system is a failure, and both parties have failed.

the only wasted vote is one not cast.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
How large was this department as a % of GDP compared to today?

The world didn't have an understanding of how the plague was communicated? Ah, ok!
Oh this is getting a silly as the initial argument. How large was the department as a percentage of GDP, hell what was the size of agribuisness in the 18th Century as compared with the size of the agricultural component of the economy today!!!

God help us!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,545,588 times
States rights work both ways -- if you do a keyword search on Youtube on the word "secession", you will find videos produced by both the left and the right supporting the 10th ammendment. You will also notice that pre-Obama, most of the videos were produced by the left (inspired by the Patriot Act) and post-Obama's election, a majority were produced by the right (inspired by the threat of losing their semi-automatic weapons).

Clearly, one group cannot impose its views upon another group without causing great turmoil. The "we know whats best for you" attitude just won't fly in states that culturally oppose your views no matter how intellectually or spiritually superior you may think your point of view is. Kind of like trying to kill an elephant with a fly swatter.

The point is that leadership should definitely be stronger at the state level b/c those on the ground know their constituents the best -- kind of like getting to choose what you'd like for dinner rather than the cafeteria worker pouring the same old slop on everyone's plate, whether they are vegetarians, diabetic, muslim, fancy italian or french food, meat, etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies