U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 AM

876 posts, read 978,197 times
Default Is incompetence rewarded too often?

I don't want to make this into a liberal/conservative topic, but does anyone notice how incompetent people are rewarded too often. For example, someone cannot pull their weight at work so someone else steps in and helps them. As a result, the incompetent person gets to keep their job and the competent person that helps gets nothing in return except more work to do because he or she does excellent work. I am sick of watching incompetent people "move up" and the people that bust their butt stay where they are because the incompetent person kisses the right a$$ and says the right things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 AM

19,220 posts, read 6,227,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
I don't want to make this into a liberal/conservative topic, but does anyone notice how incompetent people are rewarded too often. For example, someone cannot pull their weight at work so someone else steps in and helps them. As a result, the incompetent person gets to keep their job and the competent person that helps gets nothing in return except more work to do because he or she does excellent work. I am sick of watching incompetent people "move up" and the people that bust their butt stay where they are because the incompetent person kisses the right a$$ and says the right things.

You definitely don't want to work for the Government!

I should write a book - Beyond The Peter Principle.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,145,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You definitely don't want to work for the Government!

I should write a book - Beyond The Peter Principle.

And being witnessed now in the nation's highest government position. Yes, the Peter Principle alive and well!

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/..._principl.html

Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,196,976 times
Unfortunately this is very true and I have witnessed it in every job I have held over the last 32 years, both public and private sector.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 AM

5,589 posts, read 6,346,353 times
This is one argument for the adoption of civil service exams for promotion, rather than insider recommendations. Civil service exams at least have the advantage of being objective in terms of scoring.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 AM

12,839 posts, read 5,839,483 times
Lightbulb Is incompetence rewarded too often?

It's definitely not punished often enough.

Peter Principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/skoro52/20061212-bushrushbill1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 AM

10,483 posts, read 9,345,648 times
I work w/someone whose daughter is, shall we say problematic? This kid has serious issues, really should be on medication, constantly causes scenes at school. Therefore, my co-worker is ALWAYS leaving work or simply not coming in because of her kid. At least once a week she calls in sick, at least. And guess what? I have to pick up her slack. Another example of how people who have kids are coddled. This woman would've been fired in the private sector.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 3,451,403 times
we will always reward the worthless. I say we thin them out.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM

876 posts, read 978,197 times
Thanks for all the responses. I would agree with the tests but I know some of these worthless people would score better than me on a test yet still be worthless at their job. It is a no win situation.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM

19,220 posts, read 6,227,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
This is one argument for the adoption of civil service exams for promotion, rather than insider recommendations. Civil service exams at least have the advantage of being objective in terms of scoring.
This is one argument for the adoption of civil service exams for promotion, rather than insider recommendations. Civil service exams at least have the appearance of being objective in terms of scoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies