Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The parents have no more rights over their children while on school property than the school has over the children when on the parents property (domicile).

Surely you cant be serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
True, all this hoopla with kids getting strip searched for guns and drugs is coming from the left field camp. All in the name of 'safety' and 'public good'. Lol, if the school, in this particular case, had stripped this girl under the auspices of looking for a gun there would be no outcry from the left at all. Regardless of whether there was probable cause or not. The power over our kids that has been handed to the schools is all the result of liberal campaigning, 'educators have more knowledge than parents' etc Gawwwwd, this left right tennis match is getting old! But, I must admit, the left seems far more shrill and foot stomping (to me anyway). And far more willing to sit in the bleachers, call names and point fingers. If this had been my daughter, somebody would be getting their head handed to them and a mudhole stomped in them. So, that gets out how I feel about this 'search for drugs'. No matter who one feels is behind such gestapo tactics, if it happens to your kids, you need to act and make such things GO AWAY.
Yes indeed, what if they though this girl was hiding a Bible on her person. Who would be the hypocrits then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Agreed. The conservative label on the thread is misleading--no school girl, regardless of age, should be strip searched. Heads need to roll at admin.
Agreed. This seems to be a trolling thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post

Yes indeed, what if they though this girl was hiding a Bible on her person. Who would be the hypocrits then!
It would be nice to stick to reality, and not get involved in fantasy.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
True, all this hoopla with kids getting strip searched for guns and drugs is coming from the left field camp. All in the name of 'safety' and 'public good'. Lol, if the school, in this particular case, had stripped this girl under the auspices of looking for a gun there would be no outcry from the left at all. Regardless of whether there was probable cause or not. The power over our kids that has been handed to the schools is all the result of liberal campaigning, 'educators have more knowledge than parents' etc Gawwwwd, this left right tennis match is getting old! But, I must admit, the left seems far more shrill and foot stomping (to me anyway). And far more willing to sit in the bleachers, call names and point fingers. If this had been my daughter, somebody would be getting their head handed to them and a mudhole stomped in them. So, that gets out how I feel about this 'search for drugs'. No matter who one feels is behind such gestapo tactics, if it happens to your kids, you need to act and make such things GO AWAY.
I know my guns and for the life of me I can think of a single solitary model that would require a strip search to detect (that includes the American Arms .22's). But that being besides the point, if you can't discern the difference between the need to search a student for weapons and Ibprophen, I have to put you in the same lack of common sense category as these school officials involved in this case.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If it had been a criminal charge - law enforcement would have to FIRST seek a Search Warrant, based on proving probable cause.

But, this was not criminal. So, no SW required.
Yes, that is indeed the state of the law. But that's a point for the defendants, not for the plaintiffs.

Quote:
And, as for your "embarrasment" comment - this was a 12 year old GIRL - not an adult.
Your point? The courts have always held that children in public schools have fewer rights of privacy than adults, not more. That's probably the basis under which the lower court rulings will be overturned.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The parents have no more rights over their children while on school property than the school has over the children when on the parents property (domicile).
The parents have the right to remove their child from school property, and not the other way around, so I would argue that's not really the case.

Quote:
It's a question of guardian jurisdiction.
It's also a question of maintaining a prudent policy and respect for families. Not everything that is legal is prudent.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Originally Posted by ergohead

Quote:
Well, the Pube Inspection Team didn't call the parents according to testimony.

What? Do you think they were just being lazy?

They didn't want any disruption in their jurisdiction.

Nothing worse than an unruly parent. (They're bigger than children)

Quote:
Since the justices were questioning, "what if it had been heroin", I would have loved it if plaintiff had returned your question.

Bootleg God. She was planning to disseminate during the lunch hour!

She might have been victim to the War On God, instead of the War On Drugs.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I know my guns and for the life of me I can think of a single solitary model that would require a strip search to detect (that includes the American Arms .22's). But that being besides the point, if you can't discern the difference between the need to search a student for weapons and Ibprophen, I have to put you in the same lack of common sense category as these school officials involved in this case.
If you say so. The point behind that statement seems to have eluded your common sense. That point being that certain people are willing to overlook certain abuses of authority depending on the motive. And that is just flat wrong, abuse of power(for any reason) should not be tolerated. Whether they are searching for weapons, drugs, or cheat sheets, this type of tactic is over the top. And schools seem to be going this route more and more. As to the concealability of a firearm possibly requiring a strip search (only under the most serious of circumstances when we are talking about a school...and at this point the police and parents should both be on scene and good cause substantiated) bangers these days like those ill fitting clothes that hang down to their knees for a reason. All that cloth hides things well and they often secrete them in places where the removal of the clothing to find them becomes necessary. If they don't surrender them voluntarily anyway. I'm not an idiot pard...but sometimes you have to look a little deeper to find my points.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is the thing- to conservatives everything is as bad as everything else. Sin is sin. Beer is hard liquor. Asprin is heroin. All Arabs are terrorist. All blacks are criminals. All Mexicans are illegal aliens. A first month abortion is the same as a 9th month abortion. An AK-47 is the same as a hunting rifle. This is the way they think. You can't escape that.
Maybe you need to spend more time getting to know what conservatives are all about as it is obvious you have no clue ....

Old 04-24-2009, 09:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Maybe you need to spend more time getting to know what conservatives are all about as it is obvious you have no clue ....
He doesn't want to have a clue. He doesn't want to understand that conservatism, like any other sociopolitical belief system, actually has nuances. He's not interested in hearing reason or having an honest dialog. He just wants to hate and troll. And so that's what he will do. There's no sense in trying to reason with someone who intends to be unreasonable.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:56 PM

23,870 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
most of the kids i've met that are home-schooled have very little social skills.
I'm guessing you've met very few, if any. Either that, or you met the one family that's ruining it for the rest of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies