Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Zero tolerance=zero brains.
Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am just asking where the conservatives stand. Are they for the rights of the student or the wrongs of the Principal?
I am for the rights of the parents in this case. The parents should have been notified and either given or withheld permission for their child to be searched.

Schools have too much power and parents have willingly given it away. Do you know the principal can give permission for your child to be questioned by the police and that it can be used against them in court? They don't have to notify you, you don't have to be there. School officials act in the place of the parents (in loco parentis) as well as acting as agents of the state. Seems like a conflict of interest to me....more often than not schools represent the interests of the state at the expense of the child, which is just the opposite of what most parents would do.

Personally, we have told our kids not to cooperate with any kind of questioning or searching until and unless they are permitted to called home. The school may authorize a search or questioning but the students is not obligated to cooperate. It's only too bad this student didn't know that when she was stripped down in the nurses office. I'm pretty sure one call home would have stopped this nonsense before it got to the point of stripping a young girl.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I am for the rights of the parents in this case. The parents should have been notified and either given or withheld permission for their child to be searched.

Schools have too much power and parents have willingly given it away. Do you know the principal can give permission for your child to be questioned by the police and that it can be used against them in court? They don't have to notify you, you don't have to be there. School officials act in the place of the parents (in loco parentis) as well as acting as agents of the state. Seems like a conflict of interest to me....more often than not schools represent the interests of the state at the expense of the child, which is just the opposite of what most parents would do.

Personally, we have told our kids not to cooperate with any kind of questioning or searching until and unless they are permitted to called home. The school may authorize a search or questioning but the students is not obligated to cooperate. It's only too bad this student didn't know that when she was stripped down in the nurses office. I'm pretty sure one call home would have stopped this nonsense before it got to the point of stripping a young girl.

Yeah, but it's still too bad that it's come to this.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,052 times
I just read the oral arguments of the case... I would be surprised if the girl won this case... the justices don't seem too thrilled about enacting a strict no-strip search policy: http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_a...pts/08-479.pdf

Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
"Should 13 Year Old Conservative Girls Be Stripped For Asprin?"

No.

Only Liberal Girls!
Absolutely not without the police present along with the parents! And over Ibuprofen

Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
The statement is CORRECT and flat out RIGHT!
Actually - he was flat out WRONG. When you grow up, and have more of lifes experiences, you will come to understand more.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
But if one student gives another student LSD in the bathroom they would not be liable for that. No way.
Sorry KevK but, once again, you are wrong.

Why do you think schools have adopted a "Zero tolerance" policy KevK? Let me help - because schools have been found liable by the courts. It is called "risk management"

Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I am just asking where the conservatives stand. Are they for the rights of the student or the wrongs of the Principal?
I stand for the Student. The Principal, and those that participated, were very wrong IMO.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I only ask because I really wonder how these so-called "conservatives" come down on this. After all, aren't they the ones railing and ranting about "government intrusion" and things like red light cameras? So if the school makes your 13 year old strip naked so they can look for Tylenol in her undies, how do you conservatives come down on that? Let's see your hypocrisy at work here! Justify it! I know you can.

13-year-old's school strip-search case heads to Supreme Court - CNN.com
Is there any topic on Earth that you don't view as an opportunity for partisan bickering?

Quote:
Don't even try playing the innocent "I just want to know" BS. You asked a flame-baiting question (see highlighted portion in first quote block) and then just pretend you're just interested in a dialog? Spare us. You may be that dumb. Most of us aren't. People like you are the reason why a serious dialog on serious issues is simply not possible any more.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
I only ask because I really wonder how these so-called "conservatives" come down on this. After all, aren't they the ones railing and ranting about "government intrusion" and things like red light cameras? So if the school makes your 13 year old strip naked so they can look for Tylenol in her undies, how do you conservatives come down on that? Let's see your hypocrisy at work here! Justify it! I know you can.

13-year-old's school strip-search case heads to Supreme Court - CNN.com
I didn't read the story; I was afraid to. But no 13 year old girl should be "strip searched" by the school.

What does "conservative" have to do with this? Why did you say "conservative girl"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies