Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times

Advertisements

[quote=padcrasher;8456507]As any fake Conservative would do. Authoritarians have taken over the GOP ...they want military aggression, they don't care about the Law, they don't care about civil liberties, and they are always pushing for expansion of the death penalty.

[ Do you see how screwed your Party is with these nuts running the show?][/quote]

That is exactly how I feel about my Democratic Party. I voted for a Republican candiate for president. My party is now run by the "nuts".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I'm really sick of most conservative talk radio.
That's really interesting. What is it that's made you sick of most conservative talk radio? Which shows do you still like?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
That is exactly how I feel about my Democratic Party. I voted for a Republican candiate for president. My party is now run by the "nuts".
Too bad you feel that way. The "nuts" seem to be gaining in popularity, according to the polls.

Pollster.com: National Job Approval: Congress (2008 - Present)

I'm happy.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Ok guys.

Please. No name calling.

As someone said earlier, this is (surprisingly) civil still.

State what you feel and try to understand what other people are saying.

I have a feeling we all might be more familiar than we think.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:22 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
When I ask this, I mean this:

I am a Democrat. I am for gay marriage, pro choice, Universal Health Care, etc...

But I also agree with some Republican stances. Such as anti welfare, death penalty, stricter on illegal immigration.
I also vote Democrat. I am philosophically libertarian though, bordering on anarchist.

I'd prefer free to controlled markets. Problem is, someone always ends up controlling those markets either way.

On the death penalty, if it's for premeditated murder, I'm on the fence. I don't think it's immoral or unconstitutional. Whether it's good policy is a harder question.

I find non-theraputic abortion appalling, although I don't favor criminalizing it.

I don't believe in any form of affirmative action. A color-blind government is a color-blind government, period. Differences in achievement are not proof of disparities in opportunity.

In an ideal world, I wouldn't be for welfare. But I'll be goddamned if a government that can fund a pointless war in Iraq can call welfare recipients undeserving.

I believe that under the Constitution as it was intended, states have a right to secede and that they retain that right.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling we all might be more familiar than we think.
We are. Just being human gives us more in common with each other than not. It's also human nature to differentiate, however, which is what leads to the divisions that we've always had to deal with, and probably always will.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's really interesting. What is it that's made you sick of most conservative talk radio? Which shows do you still like?
What made me sick of most talk radio? The way most hosts - particularly Hannity & Limbaugh - apologized & ofusicated for the 4 years of GOP one party rule. They provided rhetorical cover while the elected leadership did nothing to solve the issues the hosts had talked about for 10-15 years and spent all their energy taking care of ther K street buddies. I've also been questioning my own positions & views over the last few years and find listening to those that profess absolute certitude in their own beliefs grating - which is most talk show hosts.

Who do I still listen to?

Dennis Miller - Don't always agree w/ him, but he ALWAYS makes me laugh out loud at least once during a 3 hour program. I've enjoyed his humor since his late night talk show in the early 90's & continue to like him on the radio.

Local LA host Doug Mcintyre - Not dogmatic, funny, smart and actually spends time discussing important local issues instead of doing yet another rage fest on Illegal immigration like so many other hosts do in So Cal.

Have heard a little Joe Scarborough and liked what I've heard so far, but my jury is still out.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
I've gone through a HUGE shift the past year from right to left, but I'd call myself a moderate Democrat. Things I agree with the other side on:

1. I'm pro life. I think fetuses are people who need protection.

2. I support UHC, but on two conditions 1) We can afford it and 2) it is run by the states, not the feds. That is not unreasonable.

3. Fiscal conservatism--I don't spend beyond my means, and don't want the govt. to either. If more money needs to be spent, then raise taxes on those who can afford to pay them. The stimulus bill was a bitter pill to swallow, though I understand why it was passed.

4. Don't like illegal immigration. I speak spanish, love latino culture. As a teacher I will teach their children with no complaints. But illegal immigration has to be dealt with when the economy rebounds.

5. I'm pro-union, but I think the UAW is a little nuts and they give the union movement a black eye.

That's all I can think of

Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
When I ask this, I mean this:

I am a Democrat. I am for gay marriage, pro choice, Universal Health Care, etc...

But I also agree with some Republican stances. Such as anti welfare, death penalty, stricter on illegal immigration.

If you are a Republican, are there any liberal stances you agree with? Maybe you are a Republican but believe gays should have marriage?

Or maybe you are a liberal who is also for death penalty?

Discuss.
I'm a libertarian, so I suppose you can say I would agree and disagree with major issues from both parties.

For gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-legalization of drugs, anti-smoking bans, generally pro-immigration, anti-affirmative action, free market supporter, pro free trade, etc.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
if there is a liberal out there who is pro choice and anti death penalty, then they should be locked up in a looney bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies