Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was the best president since John F. Kennedy
John F. Kennedy 4 3.92%
Lyndon Johnson 5 4.90%
Richard Nixon 1 0.98%
Gerald Ford 3 2.94%
James Carter 2 1.96%
Ronald Reagan 49 48.04%
George H. W. Bush 3 2.94%
William J. Clinton 14 13.73%
George W. Bush 5 4.90%
Barack H. Obama (So Far) 12 11.76%
Not Sure 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You asked, "Who really voted for Johnson?"

I answered your question.

Other than that, I have no idea what you're rambling about in the above post.
I see what you mean. I meant in the unofficial election at the top of the page which is currently under way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Default Who was the best president since John F. Kennedy

I said Reagan, but I suspect that Obama will overtake him by the end of his second term.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I see what you mean. I meant in the unofficial election at the top of the page which is currently under way.
Oh...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:33 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,324,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I said Reagan, but I suspect that Obama will overtake him by the end of his second term.
Obama will not be elected to a 2nd term.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,708 times
What makes J.F.K the standard to beat?
He was not that good of a President..sorry to burst peoples bubble!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,422,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
What makes J.F.K the standard to beat?
He was not that good of a President..sorry to burst peoples bubble!
I guess that's your opinion for what that's worth

Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
You are going to have to define what you mean by "best" do you mean the best, politically? The one that did the "best" for our country economically? The "best" leader?

Personally, as far as being the "best" person. The person who cared the most for the population, and wanted what was "best" for them, (not talking economics, definitely not talking foreign policy) is Jimmy Carter. As far as just being a PERSON, he was certainly the BEST in my opinion.

Now all that other stuff, I can only say. Anybody except GWB. LOL And despite the fact that every Republican who answered this poll chose Ronald Reagan, (who is the "republican God of State"), I have no idea what he did that was so terrific. I wish someone would clue me in on it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Now all that other stuff, I can only say. Anybody except GWB. LOL And despite the fact that every Republican who answered this poll chose Ronald Reagan, (who is the "republican God of State"), I have no idea what he did that was so terrific. I wish someone would clue me in on it.

20yrsinBranson

You'll soon hear he toppled both the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union almost single-handedly. As I've said, an Oscar caliber performance, actually making people believe the role he played was real.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Some of y'all are still sipping that kool-aid I see.

Unca Ronnie raised taxes multiple times (four times just between 1982-84 with gas and payroll tax hikes - which by the way, no one in his administration was allowed to talk about, heh), unemployment soared (highest since the 1940s), and he ran up a MASSIVE deficit with his military spending, which was out of control. He also cut medicaid for lower income people.

Ya'll need to stop trying to canonize this guy by trying to put forth a fake version of what really went on during his tenure. I wonder how many people who idolize this guy were even old enough to grasp politics then. That photo op "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" was just that - a photo op, and he did it well, obviously, because some people think he just about single-handedly defeated the Sovets. What happened to the Soviet Bloc was inevitable, and it wouldn't have mattered if Mickey Mouse was president. The upheaval in Soviet Russia had begun years earlier, and it was internal, Ronnie wasn't a magician waving a wand around, casting spells to get the Soviets to fall apart. Their system was simply unsustainable.

The Soviets mainly defeated themselves by overextending themselves, and my Euro friend laugh and are actually a bit insulted when they hear the suggestion that Reagan ended the Cold War.

Y'all wanna pick the guy who changed your party to a party that didn't follow traditional conservative values like smaller government and lower taxes, go ahead.

The legacy of Reagan is the two Bushes, who were just as reckless, and anything but traditional conservatives.
Yes, Reagan dared to challenge the mighty militaries of Grenada and Nicaragua (and had to funnel missiles to those evil Iranians to get even this far). The Russians chose to establish order (of a rather ruthless sort) in Afghanistan.

If the Iranians truly wished to do us harm, they'd arm the Taliban with the same man-portable anti-tank and anti-air missiles provided to Hezbollah and our position in Afghanistan would quickly grow to resemble the Russian's predicament.

We are still dealing with fallout from the Cold War twenty years later. In my opinion (there being no other I could hold) we are awfully smug in our insistence we "won" the cold war. Twenty years historically is a blink of an eye. America will not disintegrate like Rome or even the former U.S.S.R., but our future can still be similar to Britain or Spain, where we are divested of our overseas empire and influence. Only those historians decades from now will be able to see if, in our "winning" the cold war, we also inflicted fatal wounds on ourself.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Yes, Reagan dared to challenge the mighty militaries of Grenada and Nicaragua (and had to funnel missiles to those evil Iranians to get even this far). The Russians chose to establish order (of a rather ruthless sort) in Afghanistan.

If the Iranians truly wished to do us harm, they'd arm the Taliban with the same man-portable anti-tank and anti-air missiles provided to Hezbollah and our position in Afghanistan would quickly grow to resemble the Russian's predicament.

We are still dealing with fallout from the Cold War twenty years later. In my opinion (there being no other I could hold) we are awfully smug in our insistence we "won" the cold war. Twenty years historically is a blink of an eye. America will not disintegrate like Rome or even the former U.S.S.R., but our future can still be similar to Britain or Spain, where we are divested of our overseas empire and influence. Only those historians decades from now will be able to see if, in our "winning" the cold war, we also inflicted fatal wounds on ourself.
Agreed.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that many of them are still holding on to the Cold War so tightly as proof that Reaganesque conservatism is the Holy Grail of conservatism, because some of them are still stuck in a WWII mindset, for cripe's sake. What I mean by that is they see our position as somehow above the rest of the world, and since we helped save the world, we now have some sort of infinite immunity to criticism (and certain laws). "smug" is the perfect term, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies