Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times

Advertisements

if they are a fringe network, why do they win in the ratings? I don't have cable, so I can't really determine. I think all the cable news networks are a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
It's the only game you have in town on the Right and calling it news is more than a stretch, especially that little "Fair & Balance" disclaimer... Their audience is that rabid base of the Republican Party. You know who I am talking about, those same folks who look for those Black Helicopters hovering over their houses or the same core that calls up the COAST TO COAST program claiming they have been abducted and flown to some other galaxy so the aliens can perform some ungodly acts upon them... You know, wackjobs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If you actually want the news you're S.O.L.
LOL

I won't argue against that - but at least the other networks are not so blatant in their distraction from real news.

In truth, I have a lot of gripes against ALL the major news networks - my main one being that despite being on for 24 hours a day, the amount of time actually dedicated to ACTUAL NEWS is MAYBE 2 hours or so. When you consider that for the most part, the same stories are repeated over and over and over again every half hour, then subtract the time taken out for commercials, then subtract the time taken out by commentators, then subtract all the repeats of the commentators programs (many of which are shown twice a day) - how much time do ANY of the news networks really dedicate to ACTUAL NEWS?

Very, very little - as I said MAYBE 2 hours/day (at most) - probably less than that.

Pretty pathetic really - and good explanation as to why Americans are so ignorant of world events (and even those events at home).

COMPLETELY pathetic actually.

Ken

Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times
the worst is the BBC. some americans now feel like if you slap a british accent on something, it's better. it's quite a crack up. I see some of the cable networks adding redcoats to their lineup.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
than it does with the fact that Left-leaning viewers are split between numerous other news networks, while FOX News is THE television source for Right-leaning news.

Is that why Fox continuously beats the "combined" viewership of the liberal news channels??? Don't think your argument hold much water...

Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
the worst is the BBC. some americans now feel like if you slap a british accent on something, it's better. it's quite a crack up. I see some of the cable networks adding redcoats to their lineup.
I disagree.
At least the BBC covers stories IN DEPTH - with fewer stories but with far more time spent on each of them. The typical US news story is what - maybe a minute, maybe a minute and half if they go "in depth"?

BBC News stories are much longer and have much more analysis and actual reporting.

Ken

Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
than it does with the fact that Left-leaning viewers are split between numerous other news networks, while FOX News is THE television source for Right-leaning news.

Is that why Fox continuously beats the "combined" viewership of the liberal news channels??? Don't think your argument hold much water...
THAT's where the "sex" part comes in.

As I said, Rupert Murdoch knows EXACTLY what he's doing.

Ken

Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,918 times
Quote:
if they are a fringe network, why do they win in the ratings? I don't have cable, so I can't really determine. I think all the cable news networks are a joke.
Their ratings are high because by in large their audience is mostly Republicans. Democrats/Liberals/Progressives have larger selection to choose to get their news. MSM e.g. ABC, CBS, NBC... Cable Networks such as CNN and MSNBC.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:34 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, she has brains?
Well, I guess it can be argued that EVERYTHING is relative.

YouTube - Bachmann's Poll Lead Evaporates After Anti-American Remarks

Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally posted by thefinalsay
Actually the BBC is among the best (and it's not the accent either. I watch the CBC too ) As Ken said, they report stories in depth and do a good job of covering world events. It's a truly world class news source.

Let's face it. Brits really DO cover news better. And most Americans can't hold a candle to world media, BBC or otherwise.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
THAT's where the "sex" part comes in.

As I said, Rupert Murdoch knows EXACTLY what he's doing.

Ken
Well.maybe to some Bill O'Reilly and Greta are sexy..just not my cup of tea...and Beck...wow what a hunk..can't wait to see him in a skirt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies