Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times

Advertisements

Keep the Star Spangled banner.

Get rid of God Bless America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Canada doesnt torture or illegally invade and occupy nations in the Middle East.

I'm sure most Canadians are proud to be Canadian, and I dont blame them one bit for being so, they should be. I dont remember them starting any wars recently or torturing people.

Major sporting events, especially big events like the Super Bowl, are carefully calculated at indoctrinating people with nationalism and militarism. The more "proud" you are of your country, the less questions you ask about its conduct
Psst, I hear Canada is nice this time of year.
Check it out lol.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Psst, I hear Canada is nice this time of year.
Check it out lol.
It is VERY nice and beautiful ALL year round.

Canada is a very beautiful country.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
You sound like it's the equivelent of waterboarding to have to listen to the national anthem during sporting events you apparently never even attend.
Liberal intolerance mixed with anti-American sentiment, nice.
I hear Europe is nice this time of year.
Good grief, all she said was that people shouldn't be thrown out for going to the bathroom at that time. That really is over the top! I've never heard of that in Denver.

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Keep the Star Spangled banner.

Get rid of God Bless America.

I would agree.Nothing wrong with the Star Spangled banner, however I would say some teams, Yankees , like to I don't know dragggg out the 7th inning stretch to give them an advantage.

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
You sound like it's the equivelent of waterboarding to have to listen to the national anthem during sporting events you apparently never even attend.
Liberal intolerance mixed with anti-American sentiment, nice.
I hear Europe is nice this time of year.
You don't think its CRAZY that someone should tell you when you can and can't go to the bathroom?? That makes me Anti-American??

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Aren't the last to words of the SSB "Play Ball"?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I think they should be. Or I don't see the purpose anymore. In Montreal (this has happened quite a few times up there recently) the fans booed the Star Spangled Banner. Of course, in retaliation, the Boston fans (hopefully I'm wrong) will return the favor if the series between the Canadiens and Bruins goes 5 games.
Maybe this tradition should not be banned from sports because of a few yahoos, but I just think it would solve a problem. It just flammes "country wars" that don't need to go on and on top of that 1/2 the players, particulary in baseball and hockey with the higher number of non north americans on the rosters, could not care less about it anyway, judging by their behavior.
Another reason why it's gone too far (or maybe) is the incident at Yankee Stadium, where some guy was roughed up by cops, for walking away from his seat to use the restroom, during God Bless America.
Your thoughts, even though I can see this flaming into a "liberals are unpatriotic" thread.
I use to work at the Mesquite Rodeo in of course Mesquite TX. The people who own the arena rented the place out to the Mexican Rodeo...the Mexicans sang their national anthem and no one booed... so, what do those folks have that America doesn't? Oh, yea...I answered my own question...the lyrics.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You don't think its CRAZY that someone should tell you when you can and can't go to the bathroom?? That makes me Anti-American??
Think of the soldiers who took pride in the anthem while sacraficing their freedoms and lives just so that you can throw a hissy about not peeing for 5 minutes.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good grief, all she said was that people shouldn't be thrown out for going to the bathroom at that time. That really is over the top! I've never heard of that in Denver.
Good grief is it asking too much to have people not take a break for 5 minutes while the anthem is played?
Talk about entitled whiners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies