Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,552,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Good grief is it asking too much to have people not take a break for 5 minutes while the anthem is played?
Talk about entitled whiners.
For once, I have to agree.

Cant you just hold it in for 5 minutes and give respect to the solders and their families that have given up their lives and/or fought for America?

If it is an emergency, then OF COURSE. You should go. But not if you just need to pee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,398,027 times
You are going to a sporting event, not a political rally.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,307,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are going to a sporting event, not a political rally.
It's the leagues/team owners prerogative, not a right.
It's a 5 minute song.
If your kidneys have A.D.D. that bad, wear a Depends, or stay home.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,552,294 times
Quote:
It's the leagues/team owners prerogative, not a right.
It's a 5 minute song.
If your kidneys have A.D.D. that bad, wear a Depends, or stay home.
5 minutes?

The Star Spangled Banner is shorter than that. If you cannot wait like 2 minutes.........

Old 04-22-2009, 11:54 PM

654 posts, read 1,208,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I think the star spangled banner before the game is just fine. At some events, though, the shows of patriotism/nationalism just become a bit "too much." For example, after 9/11, the star spangled banner wasn't enough anymore. "God Bless America" was added to the repertoire at many sporting events for awhile. They still do it at Yankee Stadium, at every game during the 7th inning stretch. There's a "No Bathrooms" rule, meaning if you go to the bathroom during "God Bless America" you're thrown out of the stadium. It's stupid.

When I go to a baseball game, I like songs about peanuts and cracker jack, and "Meet the Mets." The "God Bless America" thing, the standing, the hats off, the no-bathrooms rule, etc. just make it feel so forced, so fake. It's like "the man" coming down and saying "show your patriotism OR ELSE!!!"
I totally agree. The National Anthem before games is fine, but it just gets ridiculous with "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch - and I say this as a libertarian/conservative. It just smacks of insecurity and tackiness (if that's actually a word). I wasn't aware of the "No Bathrooms" rule at Yankee Stadium. That is absurd, and just another reason for me to hate the Yankees. Leave it at the National Anthem before the game and end it there.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I also think that the pledge of allegiance should NOT be recited in schools at all since the whole concept of such a pledge is fascist in nature.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,952,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Don't worry about a few disgruntled Canadians. They're just mad because, well, they live in Canada: America's hat. You'd probably be a little disgruntled too.
You say a few disgruntled Canadiens and I make the distinction between Canadien and Canadian because i'm sure these people booing were more than likely French Canadien Seperatists in favour of the nation of Quebec - This goes all the way back to your revolutionary days, George Washington, John Adams, Jefferson and the rest of your FF's so this history goes way back between French colonials and British colonials blah blah blah and the French lost and some are still pissed. They are a minority within a province with 7 million out of 33 million Canadians, not exactly representative of Canadiana...They are also pissed because a large contingent of Canadians from Quebec of the Van Doos regiment is serving in Afghanistan and a few have been killed. This is not an excuse for the disrespect, but just a little perspective background.

Inevitably though, you just had to make the jab - didn't ya...I'm not angry about anything and damn proud of my country without being arrogant but I have nothing to apologize for. I recognize that a country is a collection of different people with differing views not a universal one ie. not a universal anger towards America...We are not the borg.....If anything, like the United States we are a nation of free men and women, and as such some of us will express when we are pissed about something - rational or not. As others will be free in other countries to paint a picture with just one broad stroke, about another nation.

Last edited by mississauga75; 04-23-2009 at 12:17 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,505,705 times
Quote:
You sound like it's the equivelent of waterboarding to have to listen to the national anthem during sporting events you apparently never even attend.
Liberal intolerance mixed with anti-American sentiment, nice.
I hear Europe is nice this time of year.
This is the kind of mindless drivel that turns me off about conservatives.
The person you responded to, did not say that, in normal circumstances, that he/she is against the national anthem or God Bless America, etc.
Give up the "conservatives love America more, na, na, na, na, na" crap, it is SO yesterday.
I think it's childish to say who loves America more, that's for liberals too.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
You say a few disgruntled Canadiens and I make the distinction between Canadien and Canadian because i'm sure these people booing were more than likely French Canadian Seperatists in favour of the nation of Quebec. They are a minority within a province with 7 million out of 33 million Canadians, not exactly reprentative of Canadiana...They are also pissed because a large contingent of Canadians from Quebec of the Van Doos regiment is serving in Afghanistan and a few have been killed. This is not an excuse for the disrespect, but just a little perspective background.

Inevitably though, you just had to make the jab - didn't ya...I'm not angry about anything and damn proud of my country without being arrogant but I have nothing to apologize for. I recognize that a country is a collection of different people with differing views not a universal one ie. not a universal anger towards America...We are not the borg.....

I love America, as I am a American. However Canada, holds a special place in my heart and I wouldn't mind living in Canada, if I had a chance. Especially when W was prez.
I've been told I know Quebec "stuff" better than a lot of Canadians.
That being said, this poster is right, one is a lot more likely to see this in French Canada (booing the American anthem) than the rest of Canada.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You predicted someone would say it - let me oblige:

Liberals Are Unpatriotic.

I might add idiotic as well for even considering such a preposterous idea.

Why don't you move to Canada so you can boo us?

Pure idiocy.
Take off your conservative sunglasses and tin foil hat, where did I say I wanted to boo the star spangeled banner?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,749,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Inevitably though, you just had to make the jab - didn't ya...I'm not angry about anything and damn proud of my country without being arrogant but I have nothing to apologize for. I recognize that a country is a collection of different people with differing views not a universal one ie. not a universal anger towards America...We are not the borg.....If anything, like the United States we are a nation of free men and women, and as such some of us will express when we are pissed about something - rational or not. As others will be free in other countries to paint a picture with just one broad stroke, about another nation.
Heh, I think I forgot the smiley at the end of my post. I don't have anything against Canada, calling y'all "America's Hat" is like when my fellow Americans joke about all of the fruits and nuts rolling out to California...it's all in fun. Canada is a great country, with friendly folks, bountiful resources, stunning natural beauty, and is, along with the U.K., our closest ally. The only real knock I have in Canada is that everybody around here seems to love your whiskey, while I'd much rather have some good old American bourbon . So, to summarize, don't take me so seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies