Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:33 PM

893 posts, read 780,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
actually I do know they are both synonyms but the feeble mind assertion goes to the intent of what the OP is trying to say. She is trying to say that Obama's speech entitled "The Foundation" has ties to terrorism. Now if Obama was a white male nobody would be questiong his use of the word "Foundation".
What does his color have to do with what I said? I could careless if he was purple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,735,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
What does his color have to do with what I said? I could careless if he was purple.
You only want Americans to stop using the word "foundation." Right?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,516,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
In a purely Catholic context, the title "The Foundation" could be read as a discussion of St. Peter and his example, as he is commonly known as the foundation of the Catholic Church. Of course, most Americans would read a U.S. presidential speech title like "The Foundation" as having something to do with the the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the concept of liberty or justice, or even the connections between either or these and a religious text like the Bible (if you are Christian and make that connection, for example). But if you are Catholic and/or American, and see in that title, first and foremost, a connection to Al Qaeda, you need to get yourself to a psychiatrist because you have a serious conspiracy issue problem. And that's a charitable read of your problem.
thank you for making my case because when I hear a US President talk about our foundation I think of the exact same things you have posted regarding our founding fathers or the Constitution.The last thing that would come into mind is some whacko right wing talking point about Al Quaeda in the same context.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM

604 posts, read 1,837,509 times
why do you keep referring to right wingers as whackos. At least try to get an original name :P

Old 04-23-2009, 03:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,576,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
why do you keep referring to right wingers as whackos. At least try to get an original name :P
How is he "referring to right wingers as whackos"? In MiamiRob's comment 'whacko' modifies 'talking point', not 'right wing', which also modifies 'talking point'. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies