Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
What about the average Jane and John Doe? How are they spending?
Which came first - the chicken or the egg? Did Average Citizen cut down on their spending because we heard how bad things were, or did things get worse so we quit spending?
Has it been, at least to a degree, a case of self-fulfilling prophecy?

When the news hit a couple months ago about how bad the economy was, how it's going to get worse, all the govt spending, etc. - it made me (then and now) spend less even though I had/have not directly felt it in my pocket. Not saying I have stopped all spending but I do spend a lot less than I would have if I were not worried about the future of our economy.
it's a self-perpetuating cycle. people spending less --> economy goes down --> people spend even less because they're unsure how long the economy is going to stay down --> economy goes down further --> ad nauseum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
There are a TON of construction projects started in my area... they're redoing part of the airport, doing a lot of road construction etc etc. In fact, it's getting to be really irritating driving through the place.

Of course, for some odd reason there are still a bunch of new houses being built, new office buildings etc going up, but a lot of for lease signs are still up on the old buildings... I just think people in my county are a bunch of dolts.
What state do you live in?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,964,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Same state where unicorns, leprechauns (not Bill O'Reilly), and rainbows are.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,852,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What a shocker....

Finance - New data on jobs, housing signal no recovery near (http://www.comcast.net/articles/finance/20090423/US.Economy/ - broken link)
But, but, but.....I don't understand.....
Where are the 3 or 4 million jobs Obama PROMISED to add or save?
With the trillions Obama has started spending, why aren't we seeing the economy turn around?
The economy was bad near the end of Bush's term.....daddy Obama promised to make it all better. Why is it not getting better?

Is Obama really up to the job? Does he really know what he is doing?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,611,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Good ole California. Central Coast to be exact.... considering we never really had any good jobs, there weren't very many to lose. I don't think the recession has hit my county as bad as in other parts of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies