Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Yes, I admit, I find Chain Yanking to be a fine form of entertainment. I would yank chains on both sides of the aisle but it seems that those on the right avoid reality based information, while the rationalists are.

I would vote for you Yap, second place perhaps

Well thanks GBG, but I've been smacked by the Big-Yac-Attack a few times for shall we say....letting my emotions get the best of me

There are probably much more deserving folks in here than I.

~TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 01:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
. I'd like you to nominate a P&OC regular for the "Civil Discourse Award".

Who would you like to nominate?

~T

Ontheroad!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Yeah but you could make Ghandi go on a shooting spree sometimes
I've actually been amazed with his restraint, lol.

~T
LOL Very good YAP, I too have suffered at the hands of YAC & Marka. Thankyou Carolinajack and rightback at you, I would give a shout to Ontheroad, he seems very, shall I say diplomatic and Poised! YAP, as diametrically oppossed as you & I are, at the end of the day I respect your candor & the fact there is little doubt where you stand, you are aworthy adversary!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:37 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post

Ontheroad!
I would have to go with Ontheroad as well. OTR is invariably polite and seems to genuinely want to understand the other persons point of view. And seems very well informed. But Amazon is great as well!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:41 PM

I'm surprised gbg didn't want to nominate ole Kaintuck. I hear your going to visit him in his trailer after your bath. . .

Old 04-02-2007, 02:59 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I would have to go with Ontheroad as well. OTR is invariably polite and seems to genuinely want to understand the other persons point of view. And seems very well informed. But Amazon is great as well!
OTR always gets reps from me, certainly. I didn't want to get into "ranking" everyone, but I'll say OTR was definitely a contender.

I guess it's the fact that John has MADE ME FLIP OUT, but due to his self-control and careful wording, I didn't want to embarrass myself, lol.

I've cursed about AJ's views quite a few times from behind the keyboard, but I never let it flow through the fingers. When you can control the actions of others by setting an example that deserves recognition.

~T

Old 04-03-2007, 07:36 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
OTR always gets reps from me, certainly. I didn't want to get into "ranking" everyone, but I'll say OTR was definitely a contender.

I guess it's the fact that John has MADE ME FLIP OUT, but due to his self-control and careful wording, I didn't want to embarrass myself, lol.

I've cursed about AJ's views quite a few times from behind the keyboard, but I never let it flow through the fingers. When you can control the actions of others by setting an example that deserves recognition.

~T
Thank you for your kind words. I must confess that you have raised my ire more than once as well. However, I too try to be civil in my disagreement. Fortunately I'm a patient man, thanks to my mother. I do get a bit agitated when I make an argument rebuking someone else's argument, then they have no basis to respond, and then later they repeat their initial argument that I had previously debunked. I've displayed that agitation here a time or two, but hope to limit that whenever possible. I'm probably showing my hand here and someone will use this to get the better of me in the future, but I felt compelled to explain my weakness.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Thanks cil, silas777 and spunky1 for placing my name or initials () into the Civil Discourse Award hat.

Other awards could also be considered, such as: most tenacious, consistently truthful with humor, consistently right of center, positively argumentative, and others we might think of later.

Yap City would be my candidate for "consistently truthful with humor" award.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks cil, silas777 and spunky1 for placing my name or initials () into the Civil Discourse Award hat.

Other awards could also be considered, such as: most tenacious, consistently truthful with humor, consistently right of center, positively argumentative, and others we might think of later.

Yap City would be my candidate for "consistently truthful with humor" award.
How about "most hospitable"- I would nominate Kantuck for that, he invited gbg to his cave, now that's hospitable!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I would have to vote for my Phellow Philly Phan carolinajack.
(Sorry for the "Ph"s. It's a "Philly thing". )

Although we are polar opposites politically, I find his posts well thought out and informative. While he can be passionate about his beliefs, I've never noticed it to the point of personally disrespecting someone who does not agree with him.

I respect all of the other nominee choices... but CJ happens to be the one that stands out for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies