Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:24 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Well, Reagan, Bush Sr., and Clinton never cashed in on the constant hate because back then the blue/red divide did not exist (the colors switched each year, blue was always incumbent). We were not established into blue and red states, and the elections yielded non-controversial wins.

However, in 2000 Gore won the popular vote, and Bush won the electoral vote, so right there at election day barbs were slung in every direction. For the first time ever, red was associated with the Republicans, and Democrats associated with blue, forever burned into our minds as the color of the respective parties. It is rather ironic though, because only in the US are the Conservatives and right wingers associated with the color red. After that election came the vast political divide, because now we could pinpoint who voted for who, and what states were to 'blame'.

Right off the bat the Democrats viciously attacked Bush and his every move, however, their argument fell on deaf ears because Bush's approval ratings were about on par with Obama's after the first 100 days. The reason the first 100 days are so important is because it is generally the focal point of any presidency. Usually after an election the incumbent party has the white house and Congress, and are free to do as they please until the mid-term elections. And the opposing party is always going to be in a frenzy during that period.

I honestly believe the vicious hate from the Democrats during Bush's first term cost them the mid term elections in 2002, and the presidential election in 2004. Back then the DNC was in an even worse mess than the GOP is in now.

So no, I do not believe it is revenge, but rather part of the natural ebb and flow of politics.
Do you have examples? While I know that there was bitterness for sure over the 2000 election, Bush had an 85% approval rating at one point and that was not strictly due to Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM

492 posts, read 961,747 times
Who thinks that all this Obama hate is just revenge for all the Bush hate?

Funny, when I first read the thread subject I thought of the old saying that 'children say the darndest things.'

I'm reminded of that because I believe any one who doesn't understand the trend the current congress and administration is pushing this country into and the opposition to that trend would just interpret the reaction of some sort of revenge or hate. An obvioius but not a well thought out perception.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:38 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Please point to a sample of any wide spread "hate" toward Barry.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
Who thinks that all this Obama hate is just revenge for all the Bush hate?

Funny, when I first read the thread subject I thought of the old saying that 'children say the darndest things.'

I'm reminded of that because I believe any one who doesn't understand the trend the current congress and administration is pushing this country into and the opposition to that trend would just interpret the reaction of some sort of revenge or hate. An obvioius but not a well thought out perception.
Health care getting fixed, jobs stimulated, equal pay for women, protection of forests, etc......
pushing this country in the WRONG direction?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Please point to a sample of any wide spread "hate" toward Barry.
Read my opening post again.
Ok, besides that, the so called tea parties.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Officially, the tea parties are directed at both Congress and the White House, including Bush, for all these massive bailouts that are going to cost our nation for generations. There are going to be some people using the protest to voice their opinion of the current president alone. When it comes to the majority of the news media, there's nothing but love for Barry.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
As a conservative & republican I've been disappointed by the blind partisanship from many on my side of the aisle. I guess they've simply come to belive the example set by the democrats over the past 8 years is the way an oppostion is supposed to behave.

You know, doing things like over the top insults like this:

Quote:
Bush was the most destructive, divisive, imcompentent, dishonest president in modern history, who at least in one election, was never elected by the majority of the people

or maybe rewriting history like this:

Quote:
I didn't recall, in the first 100 days of W's 1st term, all the rabid hate
I really can't fathom why some members of the conservative movement would lower themselves to these standards.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Read my opening post again.
Ok, besides that, the so called tea parties.

Tea parties had nothing to do with "hating" Barry.

If you're going on that then your whole premise is not based on fact.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:51 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Do you have examples? While I know that there was bitterness for sure over the 2000 election, Bush had an 85% approval rating at one point and that was not strictly due to Republicans.
Don't you remember "President Select" Bush. How about "Not my President"

Old 04-24-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Tea parties had nothing to do with "hating" Barry.

If you're going on that then your whole premise is not based on fact.
This has been beaten to death in other threads. I went to one. While the speakers rose above the frey and didn't mention an actual politician, 1/2 the signs in the crowd were anti Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies