Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,239,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Sure, they're trained to kill in the same way blood hounds are trained to follow scent trails and pointers are trained to hunt. Breeding for a purpose is a waste of time. Any dog can be just as effective at following scent rails or hunting as any other. In fact, poodles are great fighting dogs and pit bulls are warm fuzzy family dogs that never attack people. That's why they are so popular by the way. They have such a wonderful temperament.

Dogs Bite Blog: Father's Pit Bull Named "Monster" Severely Mauls 5-Year Old Daughter - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: Steelers Linebacker James Harrison's Pit Bull Attacks His Son - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: Grandfather Uses Sledgehammer to Stop Pit Bull Attack on Grandson - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: Surrey Family Agrees to Euthanize Pit Bull; At Some Point - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: 2009 Fatality: 7-Month Old Boy Killed by Grandmother's Pit Bulls - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: Pit Bull Type Dog -- Staffordshire Bull Terrier -- Attacks Baby - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: 2008 Fatality: 2-Year Old Boy Killed in Clark County, Nevada - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: Pit Bull-Mix Owner "Surprised" by Sudden Attack - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: Family Dog Mauls Toddler in Ardmore, Oklahoma - DogsBite.org

Dogs Bite Blog: Two Children Attacked by Family Pit Bulls in Spokane - DogsBite.org
Would you like me to provide you with a list of other breeds who have attacked people?

What is your problem, anyway? You refuse to read any of the professional information provided to you by veterinarians, pit bull experts, etc., that have been posted on this thread. Clearly, your hatred for a breed of dog is out-of-control pathological.

If you hate pit bulls so much, why don't you give Michael Vick a call? I'm sure he can provide you with a pit bull that you can torture to death.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 AM

38,603 posts, read 26,206,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Yeah, one time I was visiting my sis and had to go up the stairs to use the bathroom at night, and I wouldn't want to be the unwelcome visitor with what welcomed me. That was a time to know those dogs, and they backed off within air's sniffing distance. Those dogs know when to love and when to wonder what the h**l you're doing in their master's space.

Note that these dogs have tolerated many visitors and fellow rescue dogs that were much smaller. If trained properly by people who can tell the difference between an invader and their own insecurity, these dogs can tell the difference.

Hmm. sound like intelligent creatures these dogs. Probably know all sorts of human type stuff and think about what they're doing just like a person, right?

So when an ambulance goes by with the siren going, do they howl at the siren?

See, dogs don't know the difference between an ambulance siren and a pack of dogs encroaching on their territory. They are even stupider than the people who feel safe in their presence because they are convinced the dogs are smart. Dogs get run over by cars because thy are too stupid to realize what they are doing. They kill children for the same reason. To a pit bull darting across the street and killing a child all make perfect sense.

Last edited by momonkey; 07-31-2009 at 02:37 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Hmm. sound like intelligent creatures these dogs. Probably know all sorts of human type stuff and think about what they're doing just like a person, right?

See, dogs don't know the difference between an ambulance siren and a pack of dogs encroaching on their territory. They are even stupider that the people who feel safe in their presence because they are convinced the dogs are smart. Dogs get run over by cars because thy are too stupid to realize what they are doing. They kill children for the same reason. To a pit bull darting across the street and killing a child all make perfect sense.
You know NOTHING about dogs. Every single one of these statements is laughable.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 AM

Here are some images of what happens to pit bulls by the monsters who own them, and what happens to people because of these same monsters who own pit bulls. You'd go insane, too, if your "owner" subjected you to unceasing brutality. Get a clue.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...q=f&oq=&aqi=g3

Google Image Result for http://www.animalchaplains.com/killed_by_pit_bull_6.jpg

And here's how they are "trained." By the way, dog fighters regularly steal dogs left unattended in yards to use as "bait" in "training" their fighting dogs.
People who leave their dogs in their yard and then think their dog somehow "escaped" are probably better off not knowing of the probability that their dog was stolen.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-us%26um%3D1

Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Would you like me to provide you with a list of other breeds who have attacked people?

What is your problem, anyway? You refuse to read any of the professional information provided to you by veterinarians, pit bull experts, etc., that have been posted on this thread. Clearly, your hatred for a breed of dog is out-of-control pathological.

If you hate pit bulls so much, why don't you give Michael Vick a call? I'm sure he can provide you with a pit bull that you can torture to death.

Actually the thread is about pit bull owners. I don't hate any ignorant animal. To the pit bull, attacking makes sense based on what it understands. It is a dogs that was bred for the sport of dog fighting. They only allowed the ones that killed the other dogs to sire the next batch. Losers, even if they lived, were of no value. I have no more animosity for this breed than a German Short hair (one of my favorites) or a Scottie. The dog is what it was bred to be, a killer of other equally ferocious dogs. Adults who choose to own these dogs have selected this one particular breed because it was developed to be a fighting dog. People choose to own Boa Constrictors and Pythons too. This is equally retarded, but not nearly as much of a risk to the safety of the general public as the pit bulls. The snakes are a risk to the very young children who got stuck with retarded parents though. See, it's the same thing. Boa Constrictors make a living by identifying warm blooded prey that is of a correct size for consumption. In the wild this would include rodents, pigs, goats, monkeys, etc. The problem is when some moron decides to keep one of the snakes in the same mobile home as an infant child. You know the rest of the story. Now, not too long ago there was a guy who decided to take one of these snakes to a party to show off to his friends. As he was showing his friends his cool snake, it decided to strangle him to death. I don't fault the snake. It was simply doing what they do, but the same can be said about pit bulls who not only attack their adult owners (none of my business) but also the children (my business) and visitors in their home or strangers who are randomly attacked and often killed. Whatever is wrong with these people who want this one breed of dog, it doesn't justify the danger and suffering the presence of these dogs in society places on people who are simply minding their own business when one or more of these animals go off. And you're a liberal. How is it you are not concened about the horrible effect these animals have in the poorest communities? How can you be worried about a moron with an illegal gun when these dogs are just as deadly and owned by the exact same idiots?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,967,772 times
Quote:

See, dogs don't know the difference between an ambulance siren and a pack of dogs encroaching on their territory. They are even stupider that the people who feel safe in their presence because they are convinced the dogs are smart. Dogs get run over by cars because thy are too stupid to realize what they are doing. They kill children for the same reason. To a pit bull darting across the street and killing a child all make perfect sense.
Wow, you (sort of) replied to something I said... albeit with the same argument, but some new stuff as well... okay... I'll concede that we're back to exchanging viewpoints without insults.

No, dogs aren't like people. The fact is, humans are smart enough to tell the difference between what they can know and what they can't. We don't know why dogs howl at sirens just as we don't know why dogs howl at song. All we know is that this provokes howling behavior. The rest of the interpretation is theoretical extrapolation; nothing more, nothing less.

So, it naturally follows that certain things provoke other behaviors, and humans in all our stewardship duties have been given the sentience to glean a pattern from this and perfect our interaction with more instinctual beings. It's through this understanding that we get the idea that you never run from a carnivorous animal, as this will incite attack. You never feed a carnivorous animal, as this will incite attack. Odds are children will behave like prey around a carnivorous animal, so you keep carnivorous animals and children separate when supervision is not possible, and you supervise carefully in the event that they may come together.

Responsibility is key, and an entire breed can't be blamed for what certain individual dogs do under certain individual idiots' stewardship. I've agreed with you that people who lack that responsibility in owning any large dog should be penalized, and extra regulation for certain more threatening breeds is reasonable in an attempt to prevent irresponsibility leading to a travesty.

Nonetheless, people will continue to interact with many breeds just as people continue to take children into the woods (something any prevention-oriented or liability-concerned professional would tell you is a bad idea, if those people were to be held liable for recommending something on that notion). People have been camping safely for generations, and we didn't have to kill every bear and cougar out there to make that possible. We told people that experience has proven certain predictable aspects of what we're dealing with, and let them utilize that knowledge in the spirit that responsibility = freedom.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

Dogs Bite Blog: On Pit Bull Awareness Day, DogsBite.org Releases Video of Attack Victims - DogsBite.org

Old 07-31-2009, 02:37 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,967,772 times
Quote:
Actually the thread is about pit bull owners. I don't hate any ignorant animal. To the pit bull, attacking makes sense based on what it understands. It is a dogs that was bred for the sport of dog fighting. They only allowed the ones that killed the other dogs to sire the next batch. Losers, even if they lived, were of no value. I have no more animosity for this breed than a German Short hair (one of my favorites) or a Scottie. The dog is what it was bred to be, a killer of other equally ferocious dogs. Adults who choose to own these dogs have selected this one particular breed because it was developed to be a fighting dog. People choose to own Boa Constrictors and Pythons too. This is equally retarded, but not nearly as much of a risk to the safety of the general public as the pit bulls. The snakes are a risk to the very young children who got stuck with retarded parents though. See, it's the same thing. Boa Constrictors make a living by identifying warm blooded prey that is of a correct size for consumption. In the wild this would include rodents, pigs, goats, monkeys, etc. The problem is when some moron decides to keep one of the snakes in the same mobile home as an infant child. You know the rest of the story. Now, not too long ago there was a guy who decided to take one of these snakes to a party to show off to his friends. As he was showing his friends his cool snake, it decided to strangle him to death. I don't fault the snake. It was simply doing what they do, but the same can be said about pit bulls who not only attack their adult owners (none of my business) but also the children (my business) and visitors in their home or strangers who are randomly attacked and often killed. Whatever is wrong with these people who want this one breed of dog, it doesn't justify the danger and suffering the presence of these dogs in society places on people who are simply minding their own business when one or more of these animals go off. And you're a liberal. How is it you are not concened about the horrible effect these animals have in the poorest communities? How can you be worried about a moron with an illegal gun when these dogs are just as deadly and owned by the exact same idiots?
On this we can (slightly) agree, though a snake and a dog are vastly different creatures. Any reptile isn't working with much cerebral tissue, so filial capacity is also at a loss. Any idiot who has tried to handle a shedding snake after handling something it may prey on is pretty aware of this fact.

A dog can be trained to restrain its instinctual carnivorous inclinations in a proper home, hence the reason any dog was ever domesticated ("proper home" is where I see you taking my point just as I've taken your point about particular "adults who choose to own this dog", whose idiocy still comprises the minority). Many people choose these dogs for company, vigilance, and energetic play.

As stated in my prior post, my sister took these dogs for all three of those reasons after some idiot proved to not be able to handle them (probably went to prison, the vet only gets parts of the story for judicial reasons). After her endeavors in socialization and training, they've been some of the best dogs you could ask for.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Wow, you (sort of) replied to something I said... albeit with the same argument, but some new stuff as well... okay... I'll concede that we're back to exchanging viewpoints without insults.

No, dogs aren't like people. The fact is, humans are smart enough to tell the difference between what they can know and what they can't. We don't know why dogs howl at sirens just as we don't know why dogs howl at song. All we know is that this provokes howling behavior. The rest of the interpretation is theoretical extrapolation; nothing more, nothing less.

So, it naturally follows that certain things provoke other behaviors, and humans in all our stewardship duties have been given the sentience to glean a pattern from this and perfect our interaction with more instinctual beings. It's through this understanding that we get the idea that you never run from a carnivorous animal, as this will incite attack. You never feed a carnivorous animal, as this will incite attack. Odds are children will behave like prey around a carnivorous animal, so you keep carnivorous animals and children separate when supervision is not possible, and you supervise carefully in the event that they may come together.

Responsibility is key, and an entire breed can't be blamed for what certain individual dogs do under certain individual idiots' stewardship. I've agreed with you that people who lack that responsibility in owning any large dog should be penalized, and extra regulation for certain more threatening breeds is reasonable in an attempt to prevent irresponsibility leading to a travesty.

Nonetheless, people will continue to interact with many breeds just as people continue to take children into the woods (something any prevention-oriented or liability-concerned professional would tell you is a bad idea, if those people were to be held liable for recommending something on that notion). People have been camping safely for generations, and we didn't have to kill every bear and cougar out there to make that possible. We told people that experience has proven certain predictable aspects of what we're dealing with, and let them utilize that knowledge in the spirit that responsibility = freedom.

OK, you're almost there. See, any moron can buy a pit bull pup and often do. Children will alway act as prey or perhaps like weak members of the pack eating food that should only go to the strong pack members? Or maybe they fail to display proper dog edicit for omega pack members? Who knows what goes on in a dog's mind. The problem is dogs and children, elderly, strangers, whatever, will continue to mingle. This will certainly result in attacks on children and others who did nothing to invite this aggression. The problem is the nature of the attack and the damage done. For example, a German Shepard will get as well as it gives in a fight with me. Not true in the case of a pit bull. No, that would be a one-sided affair. And just take a look at the stats on people who tried to rescue someone from a pit bull attack. Furthermore, non-pit bull breeds tend to bite and release whereas pit bulls don't let go and generally don't quit an attack once started. This is why they are always a danger to the most vulnerable among us. This where the conflict exists and we haven't done enough to protect children. I have to say at this point in the thread that I'm really most surprised by the lack of interest in the victims by most posters.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM

459 posts, read 801,923 times
Quote:
OK, you're almost there. See, any moron can buy a pit bull pup and often do. Children will alway act as prey or perhaps like weak members of the pack eating food that should only go to the strong pack members? Or maybe they fail to display proper dog edicit for omega pack members? Who knows what goes on in a dog's mind. The problem is dogs and children, elderly, strangers, whatever, will continue to mingle. This will certainly result in attacks on children and others who did nothing to invite this aggression. The problem is the nature of the attack and the damage done. For example, a German Shepard will get as well as it gives in a fight with me. Not true in the case of a pit bull. No, that would be a one-sided affair. And just take a look at the stats on people who tried to rescue someone from a pit bull attack. Furthermore, non-pit bull breeds tend to bite and release whereas pit bulls don't let go and generally don't quit an attack once started. This is why they are always a danger to the most vulnerable among us. This where the conflict exists and we haven't done enough to protect children. I have to say at this point in the thread that I'm really most surprised by the lack of interest in the victims by most posters.

HAHAHA you have Palin 2012 by your name!!! I know this is off topic but it shows me how clueless you are!! This is my last responce to you on this website, I just can't take you seriously!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.