Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 05:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,449,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
With almost every breed of dog, if they are vicious, you can blame the owners or attribute it to a "fluke" in the dog's nature. However, with Pit Bulls, that is not the case. Pit Bulls are unpredictable and are genetically inclined to be aggressive. You can have a Pit Bull for years who is seemigly docile and even-tempered, and then one day, for no reason, it will "snap".

It's obvious why drug dealers and otherwise low-life individuals own Pit Bulls, but I can't understand, for the life of me, why any decent person would take the chance with these dogs.

Whenever I see a Pit Bull I turn the other way, FAST. And I wouldn't have ANY problem whatsoever if the breed was banned, and all living Pit Bulls were euthanized. Yep...you heard me correctly. I wouldn't have ANY problem with all Pit Bulls being euthanized.
And I wouldn't have ANY problem whatsoever if every californian was euthanized.
Let's just ban all animals as pets. Those goldfish can get pretty aggressive around feeding time....

Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,449,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Are you seriously asserting the dog accidentally ripped the girls face off?
I limited my subject to pit bulls because they are by far more dangerous than any other dog and the one breed that can kill just about anything it wants. I personally wouldn't allow any large dogs around small children.
well, I hope you don't allow your children to play on playgrounds or in swimming pools or ride in a car either.
All those things lead to more children deaths than dogs do.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,911,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
*sigh* I don't have the time to scan through all the nonsense the OP and others like her are spewing on this thread, so I'll just make a few points and hope I'm not repeating anything:

1) PIT BULLS CAN'T LOCK THEIR JAWS!!! this is a ludicrous myth that has been debunked numerous times by legit studies. in fact, a pit bull's jaw is no stronger than many large breeds of dogs including a GSD

2) there is no such thing as a "purebred pit bull". the "pit bull" is not a breed any more than the "retriever" is a breed. "pit bull" (from this point on I'll omit the quotes) is a term that refers to 3 main breeds: the Staffodshire Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the American Pit Bull Terrier. the term has also been applied to other look-a-like breeds such as the American bulldog, bull terrier, etc.

3) going off of the above, VERY few people, especially those in the media, can even tell the difference between a pit bull and other look a like breeds. for example, someone posted a video of the Dogo Argentino, a breed so OFTEN mistaken for a pit bull that many owners living in areas w/ BSL carry around some sort of proof that their dog is not a pit bull. check out this link and see if you can actually pick out the real APBT:

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

4) pit bulls were originally bred to fight dogs. in the old days, dogs that bit a human were sterilized or put to sleep. this has resulted in dogs that, while fighters, were very docile w/ humans. please note: DOG AGGRESSION IS NOT THE SAME THING AS HUMAN AGGRESSION! there are a number of breeds that are dog aggressive including the Airedale Terrier and Jack Russell Terrier. the human aggressive pits you are seeing are poorly bred specimens corrupted by gangbangers and group of dog fighters who know nothing about the history of the swport and are just looking or cheap thrills and gambling revenue

5) going off of the above, the pit bull is a terrier. ALL terriers were originally bred TO KILL! every single last one of them, from the tiny Yorkie to the large Airedale, were bred to hunt and kill some sort of animal (mostly rodents, but some larger animals as well). a major characteristic of terriers is that "gameness" that keeps them going. those who train pit bulls to fight are honing in on its natural terrier instinct, but that instinct exist in all terriers and in many other breeds as well

6) tests have shown that pit bulls have a better temperament than many other breeds. according to the ATTS testing (http://www.atts.org/testdesc.html - broken link) were are the percentages of of the number of dogs w/in a breed that passed their temperament test (check their site to see what the test entails)

LABRADOR RETRIEVER 92.0%
GOLDEN RETRIEVER 84.6%
AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER 83.9%
GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG 83.7%
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 85.3%
DALMATIAN 81.9%
AIREDALE TERRIER 77.0%
CHIHUAHUA 71.1%
DACHSHUND (STANDARD SMOOTH) 70.2%
BEARDED COLLIE 53.3%

the AmStaff only scored a tiny bit less than the Golden Retriever on temperament tests. both the Amstaff and the APBT scored higher than the chihuahua and dachshund

7) speaking of chihuahuas and dachshunds, according to a recent study, the top 3 most aggressive breeds (based on reported dog bites)are the Dachshund, the Chihuahua, and the Jack Russell Terrier. notice these are all 3 small breeds of dogs unlikely to kill a grown person (though there have been reported deaths and maulings of infants from all 3 breeds). pit bulls get more media attention because a pit bull attack is "sexy". every generation has its picked upon dog breed (in the past it was GSDs and Dobermans) and now we have the pit bull (and also the rottweiler). no one pays much attention to the massive numbers of small dogs that bite b/c they rarely kill. ask ANYONE who works around dogs which breeds are more prone to biting and most will point to a small breed like the ones above

8) the UK banned pit bulls years ago. not only was there a huge uproar and tons of court cases where owners tried to get their pits an exception from the law, but the number of dog bites reported have NOT gone down enough to justify the ban. the bites have simply shifted breeds. children are still being bitten, mauled, and killed by dogs in the UK, despite the ban. banning pits does nothing for the rate of dog bites, not only because, again, small dogs make up the bulk of reported dog bites, but b/c people looking for a breed to corrupt simply shift to another breed. and of course, let's not forget, the type of criminals that commonly keep pits to fights aren't likely to heed any bans so such bans only hurt good pits from good owners (please look up stories regarding the outrage over the Denver BSL and read all the sad stories of families that had their pets rounded up and killed for no reason other than it being a certain breed/breed type)

9) I ask anyone so anti-pit bull, including the OP, momonkey, to find me a reported dog bite (it doesn't even have to be a killing, just needs to be backed up w/ a report) where the dog was:

-an actual pit bull (ie, AmStaff, APBT, or Staffy)
-neutered
-properly socialized as a puppy
-properly trained
-not abused or neglected
-not kept as a yard dog

truth, most dogs that bite have one or more of the above characteristics. these things can happen to ANY breed, not just a pit bull, so that means ANY breed of dog has the potential to bite and the potential goes up the more of the above characteristics are present.

10) most kids are the victim of attacks b/c they are not taught how to behave around dogs. I find people have very little clue on how to interact around a dog, especially children. you do NOT pat a strange dog on the head, look it in the eye, try to take it's food or toy, approach a nursing dog or a dog w/ pups nearby, enter a property w/ a yard dog present, or play tug of war w/ a dog you don't know. so many dog bites could be prevented if parents taught their kids how to behave around animals. and even more bites could be prevented if parents followed one major rule: NEVER, EVER leave a small child alone w/ a dog, no matter the size or breed of the dog or whether you've owned the dog for a decade or just met it 10 minutes ago!! .

that's it for now, just like to reiterate that it's not the breed that's the issue, it's the idiots that own and corrupt them. I find people who are the most outspoken about banning a breed tend to know little about the breed itself or dogs in general
Thank you for some truth and common sense. People seem to want to hate no matter what and really don't want the truth. I have had Pits and they have been some of my best pets.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 04-26-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, there may be a bunch of smaller dogs that are more aggressive or whatever. No one will argue that. I hate ankle biters. But they can't and won't maim or kill you.

There are actual breeds of dogs that you can almost never successfully train to attack.
Some of it's in the training, but some of it is in the breeding. Remember, these dogs were bred for a reason and with a specific intent as to their use.
NO, not all Pits were bred for fighting. You are wrong and have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to dogs, much less Pits.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:26 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,613,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
You see, you have no idea what you are talking about. Not all Pits have the breeding of a fighting dog. That is where you are totally wrong, but hey, don't let facts get in your way.
you are the one without the facts----and I assume you know the pedigree of all pit bulls 100 generations back. If you claim that you do, you expose yourself as a liar. Again, I do not advocate a ban. But you are being ignorant and untruthful toward a breed that does need special handling.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
you are the one without the facts----and I assume you know the pedigree of all pit bulls 100 generations back. If you claim that you do, you expose yourself as a liar. Again, I do not advocate a ban. But you are being ignorant and untruthful toward a breed that does need special handling.
All animals need special handling. You and all of the others who go around trying to scare people about one breed only are the ignorant ones. No one person can say they know a line all the way 100 generations back, but you and the other scare mongers are just full of crap and scare tactics and nothing else. I am not untruthful at all about Pits. I probably know more about animals than you and many others in here could ever hope to know. I do know that many people, you included, love to try to use mass scare tactics to get their way, not unlike the anti-smoking nazis. Most animals are not bad at all, but the humans who own them have much bad blodd and usually are the cause of any problems that any animals have with society. You are the one who needs to get educated when it comes to dogs, and animals in general.

BTW, the most dangerous animal on this planet happens to be the human, especially the humans who have little education about what they sout off in forums.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,077,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
well, I hope you don't allow your children to play on playgrounds or in swimming pools or ride in a car either.
All those things lead to more children deaths than dogs do.
"""" well, I hope you don't allow your children to play on playgrounds or in swimming pools or ride in a car either.""""

When children are drowned or killed in car ACCIDENTS that's an ACCIDENT....keeping a pit bull is done on purpose....when they attack it's no accident....
It's like taking the brakes out of a car and then hoping there will be no accident.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:10 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,294,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
well jeez, if you're going back a 100 generations, than of course you'll find that most pits are descended from dog fighters. but guess what? the English Bulldog shares the same ancestry as the pit bull. both breeds started out as bull baiting dogs. when bull baiting was made illegal, the ancestors of the pit bulls were shifted to dog fighting and the ancestors of the Bulldog were "redesigned" to become calmer, friendlier pets. the English bulldog of today is nothing like its killer ancestor of the past! even the Boston Terrier shares the same ancestry of the pit bull! if we're going ot condemn a dog for the deeds of its ancestors, we'd be condemning a lot of other breeds descended from the bull baiting, bull-terrier breeds of the past

the same thing that happened w/ the bulldog is happening w/ the pit bull. Staffy, Amstaff, and APBT breeders have long been breeding dogs that are dog friendly and more docile in temperament than their ancestors. even watched a dog show and noticed how a pit bull didn't maul the dogs next to it? there are a lot of dog friendly pit bull/pit bull mixes in shelters b/c these dogs came from lax breedings and were not bred up and trained to be fighters or pit dogs. right now, there is a very small number of these dogs still being bred to fight versus the number being bred w/ reduced dog aggression and the dogs being bred to fight tend to be poor specimens of the breed for a variety of reasons

yeah, the pit require special handling. so do MANY breeds. not every breed of dog is as passive and easy going as a Labrador Retriever. most terriers are not for the faint of heart. I absolutely do NOT advocate everyone go out and get a pit bull any more I'd advocate everyone go out and get a border collie. and yes, there are some strains of pit bulls that may still retain some dog aggressiveness so caution should be taken when these dogs are around other dogs (but remember, lots of other breeds and dogs are DA as well, so this isn't a trait inclusive to the pit bull).

Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,248,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Two years a dog eats in the populated kitchen from a shared bowl (another dog in the house, kibble left all the time ) with no previous signs of being....as you put it...food aggressive, and the conclusion is lack of training.
Right. Gotcha.
Yes. And if you knew anything about dogs, you would know that.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,294,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""" well, I hope you don't allow your children to play on playgrounds or in swimming pools or ride in a car either.""""

When children are drowned or killed in car ACCIDENTS that's an ACCIDENT....keeping a pit bull is done on purpose....when they attack it's no accident....
It's like taking the brakes out of a car and then hoping there will be no accident.
keeping a pit bull is done on purpose, but I love how you try to equate owning a pit bull= eventual attack. most dog attacks are accidents or the result of HUMAN error (ie, see the small list of stuff I posted about what not to do around strange dogs). with the vast majority of dog bites, the blame can be placed squarely on the child, the parents of the child that didn't teach him any better, the owner of the dog that let the attack happen b/c of leaving it unattended and often b/c they didn't train the dog or abused/neglected it, and idiots that know nothing about dogs and test their luck. dog bites are far more preventable than car accidents and most can be prevented, not by banning an entire breed, but by knocking some sense into adults (and some kids) so they don't make themselves victims!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies