Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 04:35 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,827,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
If you read my post, you would have seen that I said that I don't believe in banning them outright, but enacting leglisation to protect people from irresponsible Pit Bull (and other dangerous breeds) owners. Seriously, a pug attack? That's not exactly common (the stats on pug attacks don't really exist because pugs are small, friendly and peaceful dogs) and you can't be comparing Pit Bulls to Pugs.

A Pit Bull is like a gun. In proper hands it is in no way dangerous to others, but in the wrong hands it becomes a danger to anyone who crosses its path. The difference between an English Bulldog, a Yorkie and a Pit is that I can fight off the first two with minimal danger to myself, the Pit is guaranteed to take a chunk out of me if it's motivated enough.

And finally, I did not say that all Pits are blood thirsty...but a much higher % of them are than Pugs, Golden Retrievers or even Boston Terriers. That's the difference, we let kids have nerf guns because it would take an absolute fluke for the kid to get hurt...but you wouldn't give a kid a .357 Magnum because he's probably going to do some damage at some point. All animals are dangerous in one way or another, but to deny that Pit Bulls are more dangerous than other breeds is to ignore facts.

I actually like some Pit Bulls, and think they make really cute puppies, but they are dangerous, it's in their blood.
Pitbulls should be treated no different by society as any other breed. According to the studies done by the "experts" you are very misinformed. Every year a study is done on most common breeds of dogs on their temperment. These dogs are tested for all types of "agression" among other behavioral traits and Pitbulls constantly score better than many of the beloved breeds including golden retrievers.
APBT-85.3%
AmStaff-83.9%
Staffie Bull-88.0%
Golden Retriever-84.6%
Labrador Retriever-92%
Cocker Spaniel-81.9%
Collie-79.4%

Old 04-27-2009, 04:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,550,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Has it ever happened? I do not walk my chihuahuas in places that unfamiliar dogs are around, because I would not risk it for either side...if a large dog saw my little ones as prey and attacked, said dog would most likely be put down which would not bring my dogs back, it would just be a terrible scenario all the way around. I also do not go to dog parks for this reason, too many risks. We go to the mountains, for play dates with dogs we know, and have dog parties with plenty of large-breed dogs, including regulars like 2 akita/husky mix pups, a GSD, a couple of terrier mixes and yes, a pitt bull named Red who we all love dearly. The dogs being chained in yards are products of the kind of owners who mistreat and neglect their animals, and yes they can be aggressive and dangerous. The only way to fix that problem is to create and enforce laws that protect large-breed dogs from being adopted to the wrong people...sadly, with all the puppymills and BYBs out there, the situation is out of control and too many people find it easier to hate than to take a stand and help or rehabilitate these poor animals.

I do not know where you got this information from, but it is incorrect. Pomeranians are some of the meanest dogs I have ever met, though they are very cute. We adopted a beagle when I was a kid that attacked every member of our family and had to be brought back to the shelter. One of the two times I was attacked by dogs was by a Golden Retiever. Under no circumstances would I want any of these breeds discriminated against or banned, regardless of my experiences with them...I do love Pugs, though... have not met a mean one yet, in fact we had a pug at at work who had a litter of pups that all died (she had been impregnated by a bigger dog and almost died herself) and she nursed a tiny kitten whose mother died in birth...the two were adopted out together because they became so attached.

My mom has 4 pugs, and boy are they interesting little creatures... it's very, very obvious they were bred to keep royalty company

Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,338,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Has it ever happened?
Yes, a few times...different pits every time. I'm an athlete and have very quick reaction times and my pug only weighs 20 pounds, so I've been able to avert disaster with a quick move...but if my GF were walking him, she and my puppy could have been injured or killed.

Quote:
I do not know where you got this information from, but it is incorrect. Pomeranians are some of the meanest dogs I have ever met, though they are very cute.
If a Pomeranian attacks me, a child or my dog, I can grab it with my weaker hand and throw it into a wall. It's a 5 pound glorified (and very cute) mouse.

Quote:
We adopted a beagle when I was a kid that attacked every member of our family and had to be brought back to the shelter.
I never said Beagles were super nice dogs...just that they are not exactly the kind of dog that can kill an adult. I don't have a beagle because I've known many to be snappy dogs...but again, getting a small puncture wound on my hand (which my neighbor's beagle did to me when I met him) is nothing compared to having half my face ripped off, which is what happened to my GF's little brother, that guy I met at Petsmart on Saturday or those hundreds of other victims of dogs bred to kill.

Quote:
One of the two times I was attacked by dogs was by a Golden Retiever.
It happens, but stories about Goldies attacking are rare, not like Pit attacks.

My point is that something as dangerous as a Pit Bull needs to be regulated as to protect those of us who have no control over their behavior. Anecdotal evidence aside, stats show that Pit Bulls (those classified in the Pit Bull class) attack on a more frequent basis than all other breeds combined.

Last edited by Pug Life; 04-27-2009 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,550,582 times
Quote:
Yes, a few times...different pits every time. I'm an athlete and have very quick reaction times and my pug only weighs 20 pounds, so I've been able to avert disaster with a quick move...but if my GF were walking him, she and my puppy could have been injured or killed.

If a Pomeranian attacks me, a child or my dog, I can grab it with my weaker hand and throw it into a wall. It's a 5 pound glorified (and very cute) mouse.

I never said Beagles were super nice dogs...just that they are not exactly the kind of dog that can kill an adult. I don't have a beagle because I've known many to be snappy dogs...but again, getting a small puncture wound on my hand (which my neighbor's beagle did to me when I met him) is nthing compared to having half my face ripped off, which is what happened to my GF's little brother, that guy I met at Petsmart on Saturday or those hundreds of other victims of dogs bred to kill.

My point is that something as dangerous as a Pit Bull needs to be regulated as to protect those of us who have no control over their behavior. Anecdotal evidence aside, stats show that Pit Bulls (those classified in the Pit Bull class) attack on a more frequent basis than all other breeds combined.

There's a reason stories about other breeds of dogs attacking are rare... they aren't reported and sensationalized by the media. Why would a media outlet put down a 'family breed' when they could get double the ratings putting down a 'vicous man eater'?? Like myself and other posters have said, many pit bull attacks aren't even pit bulls! Most people can't even pull a pit bull out of a line up! How is that fair?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
NO, you are wrong though. It is not in their blood. You see, you have little to no knowledge about what you posted about when it comes to Pits. In reality, the HUMAN is the most vicious and outright nasty animal on the face of the earth. It is in their blood.
Stop trying to tell me I'm wrong and I have no idea about facts when you're the one posting opinions.
It is a fact that the Pit Bull was bred for Baiting Bulls (a dog strong enough to take down a bull...) then when Bull Baiting was made illegal, they branched off into two breeds: Bulldogs and Pit Bulls. The Bulldogs were bread for companionship and eventually became the cute breed we know as English Bulldogs today. The AMPT and its variations were bred to fight. The Center for Disease Control is a more reputable source than your hatred for my dislike for irresponsible Pit owners (since I've said nothing about banning the breed, just making it a controlled animal akin to a wild animal that people can only have as pets after meeting certain requirements) and I will believe their statistics that say more than half of all deaths from dogs were from Pits and Rotts.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I never said Beagles were super nice dogs...just that they are not exactly the kind of dog that can kill an adult. I don't have a beagle because I've known many to be snappy dogs...but again, getting a small puncture wound on my hand (which my neighbor's beagle did to me when I met him) is nthing compared to having half my face ripped off, which is what happened to my GF's little brother, that guy I met at Petsmart on Saturday or those hundreds of other victims of dogs bred to kill.

If you're interested in getting a historical perspective on the current pitbull frenzy I read this book a while back and it really put it into perspective for me.
Amazon.com: The Pit Bull Placebo: The Media, Myths and Politics of Canine Aggression: Karen Delise: Books

Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
There's a reason stories about other breeds of dogs attacking are rare... they aren't reported and sensationalized by the media. Why would a media outlet put down a 'family breed' when they could get double the ratings putting down a 'vicous man eater'?? Like myself and other posters have said, many pit bull attacks aren't even pit bulls! Most people can't even pull a pit bull out of a line up! How is that fair?

The media did it! It ain't us, it's the media! The Media has distorted our image to make us look bad...

Chris Rock said it best...

Seriously, why would "the media" in their big conspiracy decide to single out a dog breed and make it a scapegoat? I've met a lot of people who have known someone to be attacked by a pit bull. It's simply a fact that the most violent attacks come from the dogs most capable of violence, and the Pit is obviously #1 in that category.

Pits were designed to kill, that's how the various breeds of Pit Bull exist. They make great companions and are smart dogs, but they are also quite dangerous.

Most dogs in shelters are Pit Bull mixes or Pit Bulls because there are too many irresponsible owners who do no neuter their dogs, who do not train them, and who simply let them loose. You hear stories about Pit Bulls roaming and attacking people...I've never heard of a gang of Newfoundlands doing that. The media reports what news comes out, they don't manufacture stories about Pit Bulls attacking little old ladies.

Again, I am not suggesting we ban the breed, but that we make it more difficult for irresponsible owners to get one. They are dangerous, you cannot deny that, no matter how much you claim the Media has a vendetta against them.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Stop trying to tell me I'm wrong and I have no idea about facts when you're the one posting opinions.
It is a fact that the Pit Bull was bred for Baiting Bulls (a dog strong enough to take down a bull...) then when Bull Baiting was made illegal, they branched off into two breeds: Bulldogs and Pit Bulls. The Bulldogs were bread for companionship and eventually became the cute breed we know as English Bulldogs today. The AMPT and its variations were bred to fight. The Center for Disease Control is a more reputable source than your hatred for my dislike for irresponsible Pit owners (since I've said nothing about banning the breed, just making it a controlled animal akin to a wild animal that people can only have as pets after meeting certain requirements) and I will believe their statistics that say more than half of all deaths from dogs were from Pits and Rotts.
Actually it was the Bulldog that was bred for bull baiting, hence the name BULLDOG. The pit bull was bred for the pit,hence the name. Pitbulls are terriers and were matched against rats and other pits.

Bulldogs were bred to bait bulls, lions, bears and any other animal that they could find to match them with. They crossed Bulldogs with many breeds of dogs to instill courage and drive. When they crossed Bulldogs with certain game terriers they found the result to be another tenacious terrier. This cross was called the bull and Terrier and was not good at baiting although those that want to make pitbulls out to just be tough dogs would have you believe different. When Bullbaiting was outlawed in 1835 bulldog owners turned to pitfighting. Bulldogs were not good at fighting each other. First they didn't much desire to fight their own kind and secondly the fights were very boring. They found the mix of bulldogs and certain terriers to be the best at fighting small animals and each other.
When people relocated from england they brought their dogs and bred them to be slightly larger as they were now all purpose dogs. They used them for work on the farms and some were bred large enough for hog catching by injecting more bulldog blood. This larger version and all purpose dog is the APBT of today. dogfighters still continued to use them for fighting. The breed was bred to love ALL human beings. Any APBT that exhibited human aggression was culled by breeders. Even today reputable breeders immediately spay/neuter any pitbull that exhibits human aggression. If you read the breed standard human aggression is a fault in the breed. The problem today is that most people don't get their dogs from reputable breeders. So anybody that wants to make some money can mate two dogs and sell the puppies for money and they don't care about the dogs they are producing. This happens to all dogs when the become popular. At the turn of the century Bloodhounds were the evil man killers. Followed by many breeds that would surprize you including labrador retievers, German Sheppards, Doberman Pinschers, and Rottweilers. The outcry against those breeds was just as strong as the current one against pitbulls. Pits are just another unique breed that deserves the future that the viscious breeds of the past now enjoy.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:07 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,913,404 times
Quote:
Stop telling me to stop saying anything. I post the truth and you post glorified myths and such from the media. I will stop when the people stop posting the crap LIES they do about the breed.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:08 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,913,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Actually it was the Bulldog that was bred for bull baiting, hence the name BULLDOG. The pit bull was bred for the pit,hence the name. Pitbulls are terriers and were matched against rats and other pits.

Bulldogs were bred to bait bulls, lions, bears and any other animal that they could find to match them with. They crossed Bulldogs with many breeds of dogs to instill courage and drive. When they crossed Bulldogs with certain game terriers they found the result to be another tenacious terrier. This cross was called the bull and Terrier and was not good at baiting although those that want to make pitbulls out to just be tough dogs would have you believe different. When Bullbaiting was outlawed in 1835 bulldog owners turned to pitfighting. Bulldogs were not good at fighting each other. First they didn't much desire to fight their own kind and secondly the fights were very boring. They found the mix of bulldogs and certain terriers to be the best at fighting small animals and each other.
When people relocated from england they brought their dogs and bred them to be slightly larger as they were now all purpose dogs. They used them for work on the farms and some were bred large enough for hog catching by injecting more bulldog blood. This larger version and all purpose dog is the APBT of today. dogfighters still continued to use them for fighting. The breed was bred to love ALL human beings. Any APBT that exhibited human aggression was culled by breeders. Even today reputable breeders immediately spay/neuter any pitbull that exhibits human aggression. If you read the breed standard human aggression is a fault in the breed. The problem today is that most people don't get their dogs from reputable breeders. So anybody that wants to make some money can mate two dogs and sell the puppies for money and they don't care about the dogs they are producing. This happens to all dogs when the become popular. At the turn of the century Bloodhounds were the evil man killers. Followed by many breeds that would surprize you including labrador retievers, German Sheppards, Doberman Pinschers, and Rottweilers. The outcry against those breeds was just as strong as the current one against pitbulls. Pits are just another unique breed that deserves the future that the viscious breeds of the past now enjoy.
Please don't confuse him with facts. He might have some sort of attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies