Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,161 times

Advertisements

A couple years ago I got attacked by a pit bull as I was riding my bicycle. It ran up out of nowhere and started trying to attack me, biting at me ankles.

I made it out unhurt though. Because there were some big rocks nearby that I used for self-defense. I got lucky scored a direct hit to it's head

When a big violent dog gets near you......be ready to kill it if necessary. For self-defense, and for fun

Pit bulls suck. The owners are usually just some guy with a macho complex trying to be cool.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
A couple years ago I got attacked by a pit bull as I was riding my bicycle. It ran up out of nowhere and started trying to attack me, biting at me ankles.

I made it out unhurt though. Because there were some big rocks nearby that I used for self-defense. I got lucky scored a direct hit to it's head

When a big violent dog gets near you......be ready to kill it if necessary. For self-defense, and for fun

Pit bulls suck. The owners are usually just some guy with a macho complex trying to be cool.
Yeah here are some guys with macho complexes..
Pit Bull Awareness: Famous Pit Bull Owners - Past & Present (http://pitbullawareness.blogspot.com/2007/12/famous-pit-bull-owners-past-present.html - broken link)

Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
It's almost 2 in the morning, so at this point, I just wish my neighbors would stop their pit bulls from barking. I wish there was a way to control the breeding of certain humans.

We tend to get a lot of mutts, Don't we?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 AM

428 posts, read 831,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Speaking of...

Here's the numbers again.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf - broken link)
Wow a whopping 45 people are bit a year. In a nation of only 350 million, we must rise up against this scourge which bites people at the rate lighting strikes. Let me guess you play the lottery regularly. Ok now brace yourself folks 4.5 out of our 350 million citizens are killed by pit bulls, far less than those who killed themselves mistakenly with hand guns. Are you trying to take our second amendment right away?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
dog bite studies dog bite fatalities fatality citations bibliographies Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, US & Canada September 1982 - November 7, 2007

By compiling US and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2007, Animal People News determined the types of breeds most responsible for death and serious injury. Read full study » Study highlights

The combination of pit bulls, rottweilers and wolf hybrids:
  • 77% of attacks that induce bodily harm
  • 73% of attacks to children
  • 83% of attack to adults
  • 70% of attacks that result in fatalities
  • 77% that result in maiming
Discussion notes:
  • Pit bulls attack adults nearly as often as they attack children, a characteristic not found in any other breed. They also attack without warning. The victim of a pit bull attack may have little or no opportunity to read the warning signals that would avert an attack from a different breed.
  • Traditional dog legislation allows "one free bite." On the second bite, the dog is killed. Such laws do not address the threats from pit bulls, rottweilers, and wolf hybrids. In over two-thirds of the logged cases, the life-threatening or fatal attack was the first known dangerous behavior by the animal.
1982-2007 chart:

BreedBodily harmChild VictimsAdult VictimsDeathsMaimingsPit bulls1194528424116654Rottweiler42724311363232Wolf-dog hybrid796541943German Shepherd704519942Chow513414634Akita483214139*This is a partial list

Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 AM

304 posts, read 1,304,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyKB215 View Post
Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Pit Bulls are often hard to ID and many times attacks by mixes or completely separate breeds are attributed to Pits. Even shelters make mistakes. So when you see pitbull stats, remember that they could be inaccurate.
That doesn't work very well.
-- Mistaken identity works both ways: If Pits are "often hard to ID," or look so much like "entirely separate breeds," there might be _more_ Pit attacks than are reported. (And if Pits were that nondistinctive, they'd have far fewer fans!)
-- To pitch the "it's not a real Pit, it's a mix" argument, you have to know what the non-Pit part(s) is/are, and show that Pit-mixes and pure Pits have lower fatal/serious bite rates than non-Pit mixes and non-Pit purebreds.
(And the issue _is_ fatal/serious biting, not just "bites reported." Otherwise, it's like lumping fender-benders together with traffic fatalities.)
-- Pits have some very marked traits -- and in my experience, shelters and rescues aren't usually _that_ entirely rotten at breed-guesstimation.
[And, fyi: For adoption purposes, they'll often _de-emphasize_ "Pit-ness" -- to the extent that it's ethical -- because many people are turned off by the Pit name alone. So Pits/Pit-mixes become "Terrier/Staffies," "Lab/Bull Terrier mixes," and more exotic things.]

Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Wow a whopping 45 people are bit a year. In a nation of only 350 million, we must rise up against this scourge which bites people at the rate lighting strikes. Let me guess you play the lottery regularly. Ok now brace yourself folks 4.5 out of our 350 million citizens are killed by pit bulls, far less than those who killed themselves mistakenly with hand guns. Are you trying to take our second amendment right away?

Pit bull terrier 1110 495 397 104 608 #

The first number is attacks on children. The second number is attacks on adults. The third number is deaths caused by these attacks. No other breed even comes close to the pure breed pit bull terriers.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 AM

365 posts, read 1,401,932 times
I should have skipped reading this thread & just bashed myself in the head with a cinder block.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:42 AM

304 posts, read 1,304,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Yeah here are some guys with macho complexes..
Pit Bull Awareness: Famous Pit Bull Owners - Past & Present (http://pitbullawareness.blogspot.com/2007/12/famous-pit-bull-owners-past-present.html - broken link)
Oh, c'mon! You can pitch _anything_ with selective lists like that -- whether dog breeds, religions, veganism, meat-eating, or boxers-vs.-briefs.

And there's a difference between
-- the trimmer Pit Bulls of yore and today's often-grossly-pumped-up PBs (which some previous-era PB-owners would hardly recognize); and
-- some lawsuit-averse VIP's carefully bred/chosen and trained PB, vs. the backyard-bred, iffily trained PBs that too many of us encounter in our unglamorous everyday lives.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In the same way a dragster is too dangerous for public streets, pit bulls have been bred for the sport of dog fighting and are not appropriate for any other use.
So dogfighting is appropriate as long as it does not interfere with your tidy little world. Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies