Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Agreed.

For the record, I'm starting college next year. Political science/sociology major.
Nice... I was picking up on some level of study/interest in the way you approached that topic. Social sciences in general are still very dynamic fields, so I figured at best I'd clarify us both in agreement, and if wrong I'd hear the latest take on the definition/context of some terms.

I was a Psych/Bus-IS major myself. Most people would order those in reverse, but I personally prefer the Passion/Practicality arrangement. In line with psychology, my elective coursework was inundated with sociology, political science, and philosophy. (I'd've sold myself short if it'd gone any other way. You know those stereotypes about psych. majors? In my case, it was true. Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, [and of course, Jung] were some of the best studies that ever happened to me.)

My passion for psychology is into counseling and mediation, so I'm not a particularly big fan of the concrete turn that social science academia has taken. I prefer the abstract aspects of the discipline, but am appreciative of what the concrete aspects have to offer. Much of the humane state is measureable and worth exploring, but I prefer to explore the less measureable.

I really love the way that perspective flourishes in open discussion (hence finding these forums very entertaining!), and am pretty laissez faire until I see prejudice/stereotypes and the fear they breed. Those are the only things that still put my hackles on end, if you will, and rekindle my youthful angst. Haven't quite found peace with that particular facet of my psyche, as it were. That can put me down a few levels pretty quickly. It's hard to come to terms with forms of ignorance that lead to violence and discrimination, but I admire those who have the understanding of themselves and compassion for others to take even that in stride.

As far as I'm concerned, politics are a lot like the psyche. A lot of variety comes to exist because every idea is right in some ways and wrong in others, selfish in some ways and altruistic in others. All ways of thinking/feeling are common sense to someone and nonsense to someone else.

In the case of this thread, I can see how the pitbull image portrayed by the media has generated a lot of understandable anxiety (as I said before, to fear/lash out beyond sublimation for the safety of one's children is a noble instinct, but it can have dangerous repercussions when all rationale is abandoned and the aggression is displaced to a more generalized medium); still (and on that paranthetical note), at the base of the issue, a breed cannot be blamed for its involvement in individual instances. There is still too much variation in character from dog to dog. What has resulted in some cases is a travesty, but to illegitimize the entire breed would be an atrocity.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
^yup.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
^yup.
Rule!

Here it is again, minus conceited drivel and pontification, which tend to steal from my better points...

I can see how the pitbull image portrayed by the media has generated a lot of understandable anxiety (as I said before, to fear/lash out beyond sublimation for the safety of one's children is a noble instinct, but it can have dangerous repercussions when all rationale is abandoned and the aggression is displaced to a more generalized medium); still (and on that paranthetical note), at the base of the issue, a breed cannot be blamed for its involvement in individual instances.

There is still too much variation in character from dog to dog. What has resulted in some cases is a travesty, but to illegitimize the entire breed would be an atrocity.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
i agree, and the key that i see in there is when "rationale is abandoned, and the aggression is displaced." what we are seeing when people try to ban breeds of dogs, colors of tee shirts, sunglasses in banks, and every firearm under the sun is scapegoating. people are afraid, and don't know what to do about it since they can't easily control the human element, so they attack other parts of the issue.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 30,459 times
[CENTER]The true story of the American Pit Bull is not well known.</SPAN>
What isn't known man fears.</SPAN>
What man fears he eliminates</SPAN>
Through education we eliminate fear.</SPAN>[/CENTER]

Old 05-19-2009, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 30,459 times
The TRUE story of the American Pit Bull Terrier is not well known. What man does not know or understand he fears. What man fears he eliminates. Through educating man we eliminate fear.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:10 PM

459 posts, read 804,784 times
Yahoo News reported a new study that has english Cocker spaniels as the most aggressive breed out there. I guess this means we must now ban all cocker spaniels. We just can't take a chance with all the children out there. Because in my opinion the only good cocker spaniel is a dead cocker spaniel. Anyone that disagrees with me is stupid because I searched my source on the internet so that makes me an expert on this topic. The link is www.discovery.com

Old 05-22-2009, 06:35 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)
No pit bulls are NOT a danger all the time. Depends on how they are raised. All DOGS Can be agressive

I have been around many pit bulls and the only time I've ever been bit was by a toy breed dog

Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
I would own a pit before I owned a chow

Old 06-07-2009, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
ARE YOU SERIOUS? yes it is sad that a child lost a life or has been injured, but come on now.. do your research. the apbt has the best scores when they test for people aggression. golden retrievers, border collies, poodles and many others have far wost scores. punish the breed owner not the breed.. were was the parents at when this all happened.. HELLO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies