Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 09:25 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, and you can NOT control how they are raised but are willing to mutilate and slaughter people just to prove a point. THAT is insane!
Have you read the thread who me?? or do you just come in to give your opinion and won't consider the overwhelming evidence that has been presented. I'm sure you have good reason for your beliefs, but are you willing to atleast entertain the idea that there is alot more to the issue than you think? If so then I look forward to seeing you respond with reasons or evidence to why these dogs should be banned. Lets have an honest discussion about BSL can we?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 PM

459 posts, read 804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
They're all cute and all...

Racial profiling is wrong, but a Pit Bull is not a race, or even a human being. It's a dog. (One with a bad rep to be honest). Let's be real.

The puppy in the mirror is cute, but he's not a Pit Bull....

No one will ban an automobile, so it's a senseless ad. Smoking is a choice people make, and have to deal with the consequences. A handgun does not shoot itself, so it's pointless. The Pit Bulls are a different story....

Nice Try, but still weak!!
How about pit bulls that are certified as therapy dogs! Do you think, with the threat of a huge lawsuit, hospitals would allow a mindless killer to be around kids.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
I have always been pretty open minded about the breed....except I really do believe that if you have a small child you should have to choose which you want to keep...the pit bull or the child. However about a month ago I stopped to visit with a very nice young man who was proudly showing me his new dog...a pit bull. He was showing off how well he was training the dog and how friendly the dog was toward everyone. Indeed that appeared to be true as the dog was rubbing up against my leg, licking my hand, and generally being a friendly doggy. Suddenly, without a single bit of warning or any change in the dog's behavior, the dog lept up, grabbed my upper arm, and bit...HARD. Luckily the owner was there and was able to get him to turn me lose but not without a puncture to my arm and enough blood to scare the young man silly. Now this is no gangster guy who is training a killer dog. And the dog did not display one second of agression before he attacked. I couldn't help wondering how many dead children were petting a "friendly dog" and saying "nice doggy" just moments before they were attacked.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I really commend those of you who are responsible pit bull owners--it's my understanding that they are a high maintainance animal and require handling skills that the average person doesn't have.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, and you can NOT control how they are raised but are willing to mutilate and slaughter people just to prove a point. THAT is insane!

Do you not comprehend the fact that there are 10.5 million pit bulls in the united states of america and that there are 300 million people in the united states of america. And on average only 10 people die each year from pit bull attacks. Do you not understand statistics, do you realize the odds of this happening.People are not exactley being mutilated and slaughtered left and right. You should go after palm trees before you go after pit bulls. Falling coconuts from palm trees kill and average of 65 people each year. Also 85 percent of the dog attacks in the last 5 years have been from unnuetred and unspayed dogs. So let me spell this out for you, enforcing a law that makes people fix their dogs IS A GOOD THING!!! It's scary how clueless you are on dog psychology.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have always been pretty open minded about the breed....except I really do believe that if you have a small child you should have to choose which you want to keep...the pit bull or the child. However about a month ago I stopped to visit with a very nice young man who was proudly showing me his new dog...a pit bull. He was showing off how well he was training the dog and how friendly the dog was toward everyone. Indeed that appeared to be true as the dog was rubbing up against my leg, licking my hand, and generally being a friendly doggy. Suddenly, without a single bit of warning or any change in the dog's behavior, the dog lept up, grabbed my upper arm, and bit...HARD. Luckily the owner was there and was able to get him to turn me lose but not without a puncture to my arm and enough blood to scare the young man silly. Now this is no gangster guy who is training a killer dog. And the dog did not display one second of agression before he attacked. I couldn't help wondering how many dead children were petting a "friendly dog" and saying "nice doggy" just moments before they were attacked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I really commend those of you who are responsible pit bull owners--it's my understanding that they are a high maintainance animal and require handling skills that the average person doesn't have.
This to me is the ultimate authority on the breed. She doesn't sugar coat the breed and tells the good and the bad. All breeds have good and bad here is the Pitbulls. By the way she is a maor oponent to BSL. To you LML I posted in the thread previously examples of other breeds doing the same.

Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup

Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post

My uncle had a yellow lab when I was younger. It was a really sweet dog and I would have never expected it to attack anyone. Then one day my cousin and I were out playing in the back yard, and I turned my back to grab the baseball and I heard a scream. The dog had ripped into his face and would not let go. My uncle had to beat the dog sensless before it would let go. There was never any sign for this. So to single out a certain type of dog is unfair. Dogs no matter what breed attack sometimes for no reason.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
My uncle had a yellow lab when I was younger. It was a really sweet dog and I would have never expected it to attack anyone. Then one day my cousin and I were out playing in the back yard, and I turned my back to grab the baseball and I heard a scream. The dog had ripped into his face and would not let go. My uncle had to beat the dog sensless before it would let go. There was never any sign for this. So to single out a certain type of dog is unfair. Dogs no matter what breed attack sometimes for no reason.
The same thing happened to my sister. She was playing with my grandmothers Dachsund in the back yard. The dogs name was wimpy and it knew us very well. We lived down the street and were always there and my sister always played with wimpy. One day we were in the backyard and wimpy attacked her. My mom had too hit the dog several times to get it to let go. I have now read alot about dog behavior and know for a fact that there were signs, but were missed in all three occasions.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Gosh, let's see ...I was THERE and YOU weren't...
So you PERSONALLY know the people, their animal, and their intentions?

Hardly.

Like I said, you are only basing your opinion on what you thought you saw.

Which can not possibly be an assumption right?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Exclamation Fear the Owners, Not the Breeds

Dear Mom;

I can tell you have a lot of fear around this topic, and I sympathize -- especially if you have small children. When we fear something, finding information that substantiates that fear can have a strong validating effect. I am not going to try to repute that, your fears are yours to cling to as long as you like. I would like to offer one observation, based on my own life experiences:

I have known many pitbull owners, and many more owners of dogs of other breeds. In EVERY instance, the dogs' behaviors have been indicative of their upbringing.

For some reason I don't really understand, the fighting dog breeds (bulls, boxers, pinchers, mastiffs) seem to attract a lot of owners that feel aggressive toward society, and actually want their dogs to be threatening. IN NO WAY am I intending to convey that ALL fighting breeds' owners are that way, but a LARGE number are. It is NOT the dogs', but the owners. As a parent, I am certain you have well-behaved, model children, and are offended when poorly behaved children cast a dark shadow on your children's up-bringing. Responsible pit owners feel the same way toward the irresponsible owners.

In closing, I want to point out that in the last thirty years, a number of breeds have been shown to be the worst biters. I haven't kept up with the lists lately, but I do know that cocker spaniels led the statistics for more than a decade. Not surprisingly, that was when they were the "breed of choice" and there were so many in the market. (Puppy mills overproduce a breed in response to market demand, with irresponsible breeding practices, producing dogs that often have temperment problems. The problems CAN be overcome with proper handling and training, but usually the owners don't understand the needs of a dog, regarding care and training, even in the best of circumstances.)

When we fear something, we just want it to GO AWAY, but the source of your fear isn't pitbulls, it's poorly bred, poorly socialized, and poorly trained dogs, of which the current breed happens to be pitbulls. The situation won't go away by eliminating the breed. It will only go away when people understand their responsibilities in owning a dog.

There are many ways you can take action to help that effort. I hope you look into that further. Anyone with as much concern and initiative as you have would help the cause tremendously.

Peace be with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies