Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

For me its people that breed dogs and other animals towards violence that have no place in civilize society. I'm affraid to say my 15 # ratty has bitten more people than the pits I know... ( I was actually bitten once by a pit but am still not against the breed.) Its the patheic owners that are the problem...

Old 07-28-2009, 12:16 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
ANd what about Akitas, German Shepards, and other breeds. Pit Bulls are they way they are because of the owners. Period.

If you take the time to read the stats you'll find that only pit bulls and rotweilers kill in significant numbers. Very unlikely a lone German Shepard will seriously harm a person even if they do attack. Pit bulls are a completely different story. This one was a young woman in Brittan and below is the dog that killed her. Even a young female can hold her own against a single German Shepard long enough to escape or maybe for help to arrive.

Attachment 46036

Attachment 46037

Last edited by momonkey; 07-28-2009 at 12:42 AM..

Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
For me its people that breed dogs and other animals towards violence that have no place in civilize society. I'm affraid to say my 15 # ratty has bitten more people than the pits I know... ( I was actually bitten once by a pit but am still not against the breed.) Its the patheic owners that are the problem...

If it were only those pathetic owners being killed or disfigured, I wouldn't have anything to say. But the problem is when these dogs escape thier inclosures or turn on children in thier own homes (Trever) and inflict harm on people or other animals. While I'll never understand the pathology that drives a half-wit to want one in the first place, and we'll never be able to screen potential pit bull owners for morons so I have concluded that the only way to insure the safety of the public is to ban this breed.

Dogs Bite Blog: Zupf: Pit Bull Attack Victim, Brenda Hill, Shares Her Attack Story - DogsBite.org

Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If you take the time to read the stats you'll find that only pit bulls and rotweilers kill in significant numbers. Very unlikely a lone German Shepard will seriously harm a person even if they do attack. Pit bulls are a completely different story. This one was a young woman in Brittan and below is the dog that killed here. Even a young female can hold her own against a single German Shepard long enough to escape or maybe for help to arrive.
Israel and Palestine produce a lot of horrible pictures, too. Still, there's a reason most of us blow off the fanatics who tell us that Jews or Arabs have to be eliminated. You can't judge a group who prove to be harmless just because certain individuals who fit that ascription happen to be dangerous.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
You're rather hard-pressed to find new stories, aren't you? In 800+ comments, you spent a good portion reposting the same stories, and only a few new ones.

This whole bigotous thread is futile, because you'll never find enough stories to actually comprise a significant factor of the bull dog population. For every one story you post, there will still be hundreds of well-behaved bull dogs currently coexisting, as well as bull dogs that died with a spotless record.

The logic stands that tighter regulations are in order, but not a breed ban.

Why does anyone need one?

Dogs Bite Blog: 61-Year Old Texan Loses Half Her Face in Pit Bull Attack - DogsBite.org

Pit Bull Myths - Dangerous Dogs - DogsBite.org

Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)

OMG......I think I agree with you.....

Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
Keep going. I'm sticking to my odds on this bet, and I already poked holes in the cited studies on that site.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Israel and Palestine produce a lot of horrible pictures, too. Still, there's a reason most of us blow off the fanatics who tell us that Jews or Arabs have to be eliminated. You can't judge a group who prove to be harmless just because certain individuals who fit that ascription happen to be dangerous.

Are you able to understand that dogs are not people and do not reason as people do. My neighbor's dogs howl at abulances because they are convinced other dogs are running by just out of sight at 50 mph. Dogs are not human and cannot be presumed to behave responsibly just because a person would. Duh!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
We rise Akc Boston Terriers and Boxers and our vets have told us that Pit bulls or Chows should never be around children, in fact every vet and dog professional we have met have told us the same thing.
That's funny. My vet, as well as an animal behaviorist we consulted about our aggressive lhasa apso, told me just the opposite.

What "should never be around children" is stupid people.

Breeding is out of control in this country. Any idiot can breed dogs (and cats). In civilized nations, there are very, very strict requirements for becoming a breeder. I had a German friend visit me once, and she was appalled at the numbers of dogs killed in "shelters" in this country. Homeless animals are practically unheard of in Germany, because not just anybody looking to make a quick buck can breed animals.

And for those of you looking to buy an animal from a breeder?

•Please know that "AKC" doesn't mean squat, okay?
•Don't buy an animal off the internet (ignore the pretty pictures of kiddies with "home-raised" puppies--it's a scam).
•Don't buy from a breeder who breeds more than one breed. Chances are, you'd be dealing with either a "backyard breeder" or a miller.
•Don't buy from a pet store. All those puppies are trucked in from Texas, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and other infamous "puppy-mill states." Many of them die on the way. Their parents live in horrendous conditions in the mills. The pet store will tell you that all their puppies come from only good breeders. They're lying. No reputable breeder would broker her/his puppies through a pet store. One of my dogs was a mill rescue from Missouri: 4-1/2 years old, bred 8 times, half her teeth were rotted out, had a uterine infection, was emaciated, terrified of human touch, and would eat crap from our other dog (which she eventually stopped doing once she realized that there would never be a lack of food). Stop Puppy Mills
•Don't buy puppies from people advertising in newspapers: again, they are millers or backyard breeders. When you show up to look at the puppies, everything can look perfectly nice. What you don't see is the mill a mile up the road.

Fact:

No reputable breeder advertises "puppies for sale." In fact, for the breeders of the top lines, their puppies are spoken for before they are even born: their reputation depends on the quality of their pups. And they certainly don't broker their puppies through pet stores. In fact, the best breeders not only don't make a profit from the sale of their puppies, they actually lose money. They do it for the love of the breed and have spent many years--and thousands of dollars--selectively breeding (through genetic testing, for example) for health and temperament. BYBs and Millers couldn't care less: it's all about making a buck.

The best way to get a dog? Adopt one. So that there is one less beautiful animal that must be carried to that back room for his or her final moment.

If you simply must buy, the best way to ensure that you are getting a well-bred puppy is to attend a top dog show (it doesn't have to be Westminster, but it should be a very good quality and well-vetted show), and talk to the handlers of the breed you're interested in. They will tell you who the best breeders are, and then you can contact them and get your name on a list for a litter a year or two down the road. Your chances for getting a healthy and happy puppy, with little fear of serious health issues later on, will then be spectacular.

P.S. I fully expect a BYB or miller to respond to this post with indignance--and to blather on and on about how "not all breeders are bad," and how much they "love" their dogs and how well they treat them--blah, blah, blah. To be expected, I suppose, when one's earnings might be affected. Don't believe it for a second.

Last edited by MovingForward; 07-28-2009 at 01:08 AM..

Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Keep going. I'm sticking to my odds on this bet, and I already poked holes in the cited studies on that site.

So is this nice young couple, "he ain't never bit nobody before". Typical pit bull morons!

YouTube - Judge Judy - Pitbull Attacks Plaintiff in the Head pt. 1

YouTube - Pitbull attack leads to lawsuit Pt 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies