Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:27 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-25-2009, 01:33 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
It is not the dog I have known many pits that are GREAT dogs and very protective of the children. I think allot of it is training of the dogs like any.
Some could also have temperaments that are not suited for small children, so if you are going to have them around kids the temperament must be a good one so looking at the parents are key.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is not the dog I have known many pits that are GREAT dogs and very protective of the children. I think allot of it is training of the dogs like any.
Some could also have temperaments that are not suited for small children, so if you are going to have them around kids the temperament must be a good one so looking at the parents are key.

Speaking of...

Here's the numbers again.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf - broken link)

Old 04-25-2009, 01:58 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Example the pitt bull terrier is like a jack russel terrier they are a small dog and do not get along well with small children.

I do agree people need to take in consideration the personality of the dog and children.
There are allot of stupid parents and pet owners.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
There are allot of stupid parents and pet owners.
Exactly and the second one is the biggest factor. Dogs like humans develop a character and like humans their environment plays a very large role in how that character develops. If the dog is mistreated, is allowed to do things like bite the ankles of people that so many people think is "cute" when they are puppies, is antagonized or teased or so many of the other things people do wrong when they get a dog they will grow into adult dogs with same mentality and it's no longer cute.

Certainly you may have some dogs that are just bad but again the parallel to humans is the same, we have many psychos in society that just are. You can look at the med student recently arrested for killing that prostitute as an example.

The pit bulls bad image comes about because of a lot of factors.

• A lot of pit bulls are owned by less than desirable people, attacks are going to more likely because of poor training or in fact they were trained to be mean. I know in my area when one of these dogs make the news it isn't the Cleaver family that owned it.
  • When they do attack the damage done can be quite severe because of their powerful jaws.
  • The news media will sensationalize these stories, you don't here about the toy poodles biting people yet they are considered one of the most aggressive breeds by nature.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Exactly and the second one is the biggest factor. Dogs like humans develop a character and like humans their environment plays a very large role in how that character develops. If the dog is mistreated, is allowed to do things like bite the ankles of people that so many people think is "cute" when they are puppies, is antagonized or teased or so many of the other things people do wrong when they get a dog they will grow into adult dogs with same mentality and it's no longer cute.

Certainly you may have some dogs that are just bad but again the parallel to humans is the same, we have many psychos in society that just are. You can look at the med student recently arrested for killing that prostitute as an example.

The pit bulls bad image comes about because of a lot of factors.

• A lot of pit bulls are owned by less than desirable people, attacks are going to more likely because of poor training or in fact they were trained to be mean. I know in my area when one of these dogs make the news it isn't the Cleaver family that owned it.
  • When they do attack the damage done can be quite severe because of their powerful jaws.
  • The news media will sensationalize these stories, you don't here about the toy poodles biting people yet they are considered one of the most aggressive breeds by nature.

Poodles don't kill people.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
I used to work for the Southern California Gas Company reading meters. I did that for about 4 years. During that time, I encountered a variety of dog breeds on my daily routes. Any dog can be dangerous and it generally depended on the owner. Of course, figure also that I was an 'intruder' on the property. Anyway, I could never predict which dogs would be cool or not - it was simply impossible to really know. Most dogs I encounted were okay and if they barked or attacked, it was to protect their territory. Understandable if you think about it .

The only times I was actually bit were by the little dogs. Dogs under 12 inches tall must figure they have nothing to lose or something because they were rarely afraid of me and they never gave up...pesky ankle biters !! With that said, we were ordered to not enter any yard with a pit bull...

Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Poodles don't kill people.
I got bit by a poodle once. OUCH!! Left a nasty scar...

Old 04-25-2009, 04:32 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
We have our dog in an obedience class. Know what the most well behaved, and most personable dog is in the entire class (well, after ours of course ) - it's a female pit bull. She is a wonderful dog thanks to the way her owner is raising her.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times
sorry to disappoint. Our friends have a pit bull that was a rescue that wouldn't hurt a fly. All dogs can be dangerous. I'm sure Obama will get around to banning all dogs (except is illegal alien portugese water dog of course) after he bans all the guns.
It's the natural progression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies