Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:00 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
That advice would probably stick better if you had corrected others in this thread. It makes people second guess your intent when you single out an individual to correct when there are many guilty of the same.
I just read the whole thread again, to see what I'd missed. The worst things that were said were that Hannity was chicken (silly, but ignorable), a chickenhawk (term for someone who is pro-war but not in the military), and that someone would like to see Olbermann waterboard Hannity. I disagree with that last, and have now posted so.

Mangling someone's name - doberdumb, Hannibal, Shrub, Dumbya, NObama, Bam bam, etc. in derogatory ways - these are unacceptable. I will make an effort in the future to make sure I can find examples on both sides to call out. In the meantime, I stand by what I posted. Can you dig it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
He is filth. Boo hoo.
Nice. I'll keep that in mind the next time I see you defending someone who is truly filthy, and not just a talking head.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I just read the whole thread again, to see what I'd missed. The worst things that were said were that Hannity was chicken (silly, but ignorable), a chickenhawk (term for someone who is pro-war but not in the military), and that someone would like to see Olbermann waterboard Hannity. I disagree with that last, and have now posted so.

Mangling someone's name - doberdumb, Hannibal, Shrub, Dumbya, NObama, Bam bam, etc. in derogatory ways - these are unacceptable. I will make an effort in the future to make sure I can find examples on both sides to call out. In the meantime, I stand by what I posted. Can you dig it?
I didn't bother going past the first page. I find chickenhawk used as synonymous with coward which is pretty offensive especially coming from an Obama supporter who has no problem with their party sending troops off to war with no military service under their belt.

We'll agree to disagree.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I will make an effort in the future to make sure I can find examples on both sides to call out.
Funny you didn't think of doing that before.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't bother going past the first page. I find chickenhawk used as synonymous with coward which is pretty offensive especially coming from an Obama supporter who has no problem with their party sending troops off to war with no military service under their belt.

We'll agree to disagree.
That's cool. I haven't really considered it that derogatory a term, but I can understand how you might.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 PM

238 posts, read 305,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Nice. I'll keep that in mind the next time I see you defending someone who is truly filthy, and not just a talking head.

Sweet. That will definitely teach me!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Funny you didn't think of doing that before.
I admit when I am wrong - can you?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
sweet. That will definitely teach me!
lol!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Puhleaze no torture light. Talk about denial.
Denial? Think about it. Saying "light torture" is like saying "low fat lard."

If it's not torture than it's only an interrogation. That's what much of the controversy is, right? That is, where do you draw the line between what is called intense questioning, enhanced interrogation and torture? Once it becomes torture, of course there are levels of torture, but I don't see how someone can possibly use the term "light torture" with a straight face.

Now back to the real world, to me, saying good torture and bad torture is like saying someone's a nicer terrorist because he only blew up a couple of cars, whereas Joe over there blew up an entire building, so he's a bad terrorist. Sure, if someone gets cancer there are different stages. So stage 4 is much worse than stage 1. But all cancer is serious and life threatening. Nobody would say "Oh, she only has cancer. No biggy."

Definition of torture:

"Any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a male or female person for such purposes as obtaining from him, or a third person, information or confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity." United Nations

Old 04-26-2009, 08:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Denial? Think about it. Saying "light torture" is like saying "low fat lard."

If it's not torture than it's only an interrogation. That's what much of the controversy is, right? That is, where do you draw the line between what is called intense questioning, enhanced interrogation and torture? Once it becomes torture, of course there are levels of torture, but I don't see how someone can possibly use the term "light torture" with a straight face.

Now back to the real world, to me, saying good torture and bad torture is like saying "he's a good terrorist." He only blew up a couple of cars killing a few men, whereas Joe over there blew up an entire building with lots of children, so he's a bad terrorist."

Definition of torture:

"Any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a male or female person for such purposes as obtaining from him, or a third person, information or confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity." United Nations
Homicide
Justifiable Homicide

Sometimes there are reasons to do the ugly.

But hey if someone ever breaks into your house intending to kill you or rape you I beg you stay consistent with your ideology and refrain from inflicting pain on them or summoning the government or other third party to inflict pain to rescue you.

Btw you didn't select which tortures you'd choose. I'm guessing because it'd prove there's a significant distinction between say having your genitalia mutilated and having to listen to loud music for several hours. But you go on pretending there's no difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies