Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:39 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

I would have agreed with you whilst living in NYC, but since leaving and traveling, once again, through many states, and arriving here in PA, I'd say we still have what might be termed "institutionalized" racism. In cities like Baltimore, MD, Washington, D.C. (downtown) and here in Pittsburgh, PA, I see a huge divide between the haves and the have-nots. And, too often it appears as if the have-nots are Black, and the haves are White--even on the same city street.

And the last time I went to Riker's Island, for a workshop on HIV organized by a Black-run Adolescent Program, the male inmates were 98% Black. Several had bodies the guard told me, while others had rap sheets longer than an arm, and about 30-50% were there for petty crimes--much of it drugs. Most of these guys were younger than 19; and less than 50% had finished H.S.

Economics play a part in the racial divide. I'd like to see Education become a higher priority and an opportunity provided to more innercity young people in the hopes of a major shift--but education at a high standard not just baby-sitting, bars on windows, and frisk and searches as you enter a school building (ala NYC) and elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
There will always be racism on an individual level. It's human nature.

As far as it being institutionalized, our drug policy is really the last bastion of institutionalized racism that I see, and even there, the effect varies based on economics.

Last edited by ontheroad; 04-03-2007 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Economics play a part in the racial divide. I'd like to see Education become a higher priority and an opportunity provided to more innercity young people in the hopes of a major shift--but education at a high standard just just baby-sitting, bars on windows, and frisk and searches as you enter a school building (ala NYC) and elsewhere.

Couldn't agree more, except I wouldn't limit it to inner cities. Education can benefit anyone, anywhere.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
Quote:
And the last time I went to Riker's Island, for a workshop on HIV organized by a Black-run Adolescent Program, the male inmates were 98% Black. Several had bodies the guard told me, while others had rap sheets longer than an arm, and about 30-50% were there for petty crimes--much of it drugs. Most of these guys were younger than 19; and less than 50% had finished H.S.

Economics play a part in the racial divide. I'd like to see Education become a higher priority and an opportunity provided to more innercity young people in the hopes of a major shift--but education at a high standard not just baby-sitting, bars on windows, and frisk and searches as you enter a school building (ala NYC) and elsewhere.
Well, you hit on the two biggest problems right there. The lure of the drug trade is too much for many to turn down. Legalizing drugs would completely remove this problem. With the drug trade gone, it might be easier to turn the focus to education, as I agree, it's a huge problem. Unfortunately, with the current situation, those who choose education over drug dealing are the exception, rather than the rule.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I am in favour of legalizing some of those drugs--the big smoke for sure! And tax it and use the revenue for education.

In MA, cigarette taxes are generally turned into health dollars! An irony but not a bad deal!

Old 04-03-2007, 02:17 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A simple question for you: You're lying on a gurney about to undergo major surgery,your doctor has taken ill and they offer you a choice between two other surgeons. They say they're both good but one is noticeably more skilled than the other. They also let it be known that one is a member of a minority group. Do you request the more skilled or the minority not knowing which is which?

I don't know about you but I'm choosing skill and I don't care if that means some WASPY white as snow male or a Chinese speaking black woman . I don't think I'm a racist, I guess I'm a skillist
You're trying to put me in a Catch-22, aren't you?

OK in that scenario, I will concede that I would want the doctor that is the most skilled, ethncity be darned. I would hope that a theoretically prejudiced white patient would feel the same way.

Of course, that is a literally "life or death" situation. Overall, our economy is becoming increasingly focused on ideas and other intangibles. And even if one manages to pull themselves up by the bootstraps, I believe there are some people intent on keeping the glass ceiling firmly in place.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I would have agreed with you whilst living in NYC, but since leaving and traveling, once again, through many states, and arriving here in PA, I'd say we still have what might be termed "institutionalized" racism. In cities like Baltimore, MD, Washington, D.C. (downtown) and here in Pittsburgh, PA, I see a huge divide between the haves and the have-nots. And, too often it appears as if the have-nots are Black, and the haves are White--even on the same city street.

I agree with that education is the key to bridge the economic divide. Looking forward at burdell's response, I agree that there are poor everywhere: in the cities, rural areas and even in pockets of suburbia. Improving educational opportunities for the poor in general would make a huge impact on much of the minority population while white citizens may feel the system is working on a fairer standard.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
You're trying to put me in a Catch-22, aren't you?

OK in that scenario, I will concede that I would want the doctor that is the most skilled, ethncity be darned. I would hope that a theoretically prejudiced white patient would feel the same way.

Of course, that is a literally "life or death" situation. Overall, our economy is becoming increasingly focused on ideas and other intangibles. And even if one manages to pull themselves up by the bootstraps, I believe there are some people intent on keeping the glass ceiling firmly in place.

No, I'm not trying for Catch 22, even though much of life becomes that in one way or another. I don't believe a glass ceiling should be in place, period. But to me that means for everybody, equally. Not variable depending on what was done 200 years ago or your gender or your religion.

And if it's education that's a problem, we only treat the symptom if we don't solve the disease at its root.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not trying for Catch 22, even though much of life becomes that in one way or another. I don't believe a glass ceiling should be in place, period. But to me that means for everybody, equally. Not variable depending on what was done 200 years ago or your gender or your religion.

And if it's education that's a problem, we only treat the symptom if we don't solve the disease at its root.
What do you see as the "disease"?

Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
What do you see as the "disease"?

I think the educational system needs a massive overhaul. It seems for far too long we've tried to improve it by throwing more $ at it without much thought. I've seen a few interesting shows about it, what was really interesting were some charter schools tha thave had great success with students at much lower cost than nearby schools. The same show also made the point that the teacher's contract in NYC is so convoluted it could literally take years to fire a teacher, even with great cause. Personally I would start in areas like that as well as re-examine the whole concept of tenure.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I think the educational system needs a massive overhaul. It seems for far too long we've tried to improve it by throwing more $ at it without much thought. I've seen a few interesting shows about it, what was really interesting were some charter schools tha thave had great success with students at much lower cost than nearby schools. The same show also made the point that the teacher's contract in NYC is so convoluted it could literally take years to fire a teacher, even with great cause. Personally I would start in areas like that as well as re-examine the whole concept of tenure.
In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that my mother is a retired teacher from the Philadelphia School District. That said, I actually agree that the educational system needs to be retooled. Investing more money with little accountability isn't the answer... but I don't think "No Child Left Behind" is the right way to solve the situation either. The problem, as they say, may start in the home. There are poorer parents who work hard and don't have the time and energy to encourage and work with their kids. Then there are those poorer parents who had a negative school experience (perhaps because of attending substandard schools themselves) and therefore choose not to get involved in their childrens' education. I wish I knew how to cure that "disease".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies