Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You mean kind of like invading a country and toppling its leadership because it was suspected that they had "Weapons of Mass Destruction"? You can bet your bottom dollar that Israel's intelligence on what that ship was carrying was a hell of a lot better than Bush's "WMD" farce.
Don't count on it!

http://www.carnegieendowment.org/pub...4744&proj=znpp
Quote:
General Brom offers insight into why Israeli intelligence agencies miscalculated Saddam Hussein's actions. Israeli intelligence agents were convinced that Saddam Hussein posed an imminent threat because they held "a one-dimensional perception" of Saddam Hussein as an evil man "possessed by a compulsion to develop weapons of mass destruction in order to strike Israel and others."

Last edited by jojajn; 04-27-2009 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: add link and quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:19 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
The article is pretty confusing as to whether the ship was bombed, torpedoes or shelled.
Usually, when you torpedo a ship, it sinks. Did this one? I sure hope so.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I did not say Israel was wrong,

Well, hell, I will. Sinking a vessel on the high seas is an act of war, period. One can keep such a vessel from sailing into Israeli controlled waters but by every report this vessel was sailing to Sudan.

If the ship was involved in smuggling, then the proper course of action would have been to stop and board the vessel, ascertain its cargo and go from their. Absent that, this is a clear violation of international law and is wrong. And I don't give a damn who did it.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
How did they know this ship was carrying weapons if they sank it? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't but now we will never know unless some dives on the ship and confirms this. Who were the sources, the same folks who think Timothy McVeigh conspired with Al Qaeda?
The report looks total bogus to me, but you could tell if there were munitions on board because there would be large secondary explosions in that case.

No way the US is involved in this.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The report looks total bogus to me, but you could tell if there were munitions on board because there would be large secondary explosions in that case.

How do you determine whether a secondary explosion is caused by munitions or other materials which are explosively ignite?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
If Israel did in fact sink this ship one can hardly blame them. An ounce of prevention and all that.
The irony I find in all this? WE arm Israel. They destroy cities and we pay to rebuild the cities.... All so Israel can destroy them yet again. Thats what makes this such a twisted plot.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If Israel did in fact sink this ship one can hardly blame them. An ounce of prevention and all that.

"All that" is a violation of international law.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

So is cutting the head off of suspected homosexuals, Christians, and other infadels.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post

I can't answer the first part but whether the US was involved or not, but according to the Jerusalem Post:
'Iranian arms ship destroyed near Sudan' | Iran news | Jerusalem Post

Quote:
While Israeli spokespeople did not comment on allegations of the country's involvement, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert hinted that Israel carried out the strikes, vowing that it would hit terrorist infrastructure wherever it was.
I get the feeling that the US is going to be refraining from any overt actions or creating any incidents that would further inflame tensions in the region considering the current economic and military situation.

Quote:
Well, hell, I will. Sinking a vessel on the high seas is an act of war, period. One can keep such a vessel from sailing into Israeli controlled waters but by every report this vessel was sailing to Sudan.

If the ship was involved in smuggling, then the proper course of action would have been to stop and board the vessel, ascertain its cargo and go from their. Absent that, this is a clear violation of international law and is wrong. And I don't give a damn who did it.
Quote:
Well, I know nothing of maritime or international law as it relates to shipping, so, I can't really comment other than this seems to be a serious issue right now. Aside from who sank what, the idea of arming civilian cargo ships with weapons or military personnel is a hot issue right with high seas piracy so rampant.

I haven't had time but if anyone has any information or links to maritime international law as it relates to this topic, please by all means post it, I would be interested in reading on it.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:52 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
So is cutting the head off of suspected homosexuals, Christians, and other infadels.
So it torture and waterboarding but what does that have to do with the sinking of this ship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies