Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 AM

592 posts, read 414,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Look at the treaties we signed and then look at our constitution, educate yourself with something more accurate than talk radio.
I asked you a simple question. Are you dyslexic?

What are the Rules concerning capture on land and water?

Maybe Congress should vote on the rules before the next war.

And again, an independent justice department said water-boarding isn't torture. And I agree with their opinion. It doesn't strike me as being torture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Default Why Is the Left Obsessing Over Torture To Get At Bush

Personally, I see nothing wrong with torturing George Bush as long as it is not technically torture.

A 5-10 year stint with Charlie Manson in the same jail cell, continuously televised, is technically not torture.

Let the proceedings begin!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 AM

The Geneva Conventions would cover the regular Iraqi army. And treaties are signed by governments and are made with other countries. There can be no treaty with Islam.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
I asked you a simple question. Are you dyslexic?

What are the Rules concerning capture on land and water?

Maybe Congress should vote on the rules before the next war.

And again, an independent justice department said water-boarding isn't torture. And I agree with their opinion. It doesn't strike me as being torture.
Are you obtuse to the constitution??? nevermind stupid question on my part. Congress can only change the rules by breaking treaties. How far are you willing to go to defend the crimes that we have commited? I don';t expect a neocon to understand principles. Do you not support the constitution of the USA?? If so then you cannot defend torture.

Quote:
Three major treaties that the United States has signed and unambiguously ratified prohibit the United States from subjecting prisoners in the War on Terror to this kind of treatment. First, Common Article 3 of the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War, which the Senate unanimously ratified in 1955, prohibits the parties to the treaty from acts upon prisoners including “violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture; . . . outrages upon personal dignity, in particular, humiliating and degrading treatment.”[18] Second, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which the Senate ratified in 1992, states that “[n]o one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.”[19] Third, the United Nations Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment, which the Senate ratified in 1994, provides that “[e]ach State Party shall take effective legislative, administrative, judicial or other measures to prevent acts of torture in any territory under its jurisdiction,”[20] and that “[e]ach State Party shall undertake to prevent in any territory under its jurisdiction other acts of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment which do not amount to torture . . . .”[21]
The United States has enacted statutes prohibiting torture and cruel or inhuman treatment. It is these statutes which make waterboarding illegal.[22] The four principal statutes which Congress has adopted to implement the provisions of the foregoing treaties are the Torture Act,[23] the War Crimes Act,[24],and the laws entitled “Prohibition on Cruel, Inhuman, or Degrading Treatment or Punishment of Persons Under Custody or Control of the United States Government”[25] and “Additional Prohibition on Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.”[26] The first two statutes are criminal laws while the latter two statutes extend civil rights to any person in the custody of the United States anywhere in the world.
The Torture Act makes it a felony for any person, acting under color of law, to commit an act of torture upon any person within the defendant’s custody or control outside the United States.[27] Torture is defined as the intentional infliction of “severe physical or mental pain or suffering” upon a person within the defendant’s custody or control.[28] To be “severe,” any mental pain or suffering resulting from torture must be “prolonged.”[29] Under this law, torture is punishable by up to twenty years imprisonment unless the victim dies as a result of the torture, in which case the penalty is death or life in prison.[30]
http://lawreview.wustl.edu/slip-opin...ng-is-illegal/
Get over it your messiah is a criminal.

Last edited by lamexican; 04-28-2009 at 01:52 AM..

Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
The Geneva Conventions would cover the regular Iraqi army. And treaties are signed by governments and are made with other countries. There can be no treaty with Islam.
You make laws and cannot later decide that it doesn't fit your current agenda. Perhaps you should be waterboarded then ou might understand why the average american soldier that is water boarded only last 14 seconds before claiming the experience intolerable.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Personally, I see nothing wrong with torturing George Bush as long as it is not technically torture.

A 5-10 year stint with Charlie Manson in the same jail cell, continuously televised, is technically not torture.

Let the proceedings begin!
I'm sure you do. Bring on the truth commission. Realize the regime change. Become a banana republic. But spare me your moral outrage.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
I'm sure you do. Bring on the truth commission. Realize the regime change. Become a banana republic. But spare me your moral outrage.
No moral outrage - just arguing your idiotic stance.

Need another straw?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:22 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,725 times
Default Why Is the Left Obsessing Over Torture To Get At Bush ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Revenge for a supposed wrong? Well, at least the comparison is close. Perhaps the guillotine should be brought back, eh?

I think I can understand, and in maybe some cases sympathize with the Madame Defarges with their grief about Bush, but I think it's all going a little beyond the pale. Kinda like a specific poster's obsession with all things Palin. She would be a forgotten episode of the 2008 election cycle, at least here, if the fellow would move on. Perhaps his obsession, though, is impossible to break? Po' baby.

IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- Left Obsessing Over Torture To Get At Bush (http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=325726083820640 - broken link)

Why Is the Left Obsessing Over Torture To Get At Bush ?

In this sentence you ask the question and you answer it. At least when you're talking to yourself you're less likely to get into a heated argument.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
No moral outrage - just arguing your idiotic stance.

Need another straw?
No. I don't. I'm sure Al-Qaeda appreciates your efforts on their behalf. And you will be richly rewarded by Allah. And you will get thirty pieces of silver.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
You make laws and cannot later decide that it doesn't fit your current agenda. Perhaps you should be waterboarded then ou might understand why the average american soldier that is water boarded only last 14 seconds before claiming the experience intolerable.
There are speed limits and times when speed limits apply, and there are times, in an emergency, when the speed limit doesn't apply. In this case, not knowing the enemy - not knowing what the enemy has, or who he is, and where he is, and being in a state of emergency, I think we can exceed the law temporarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies