Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,610,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Maybe but the GOP can't afford to lose more people & continue to decline. Seems that "smart" people would try to build the party nor eat their own but the GOP isn't smart to their own determent
The best thing that could happen to the current GOP is for it to disintegrate further and wake up the true conservatives out there who realize they have been riding a hijacked ship with the neocons for too long. Once that happens and more sensible candidates arise, a lot of the moderate Dems and independents will join when they see how far left the looney Dems in power really want to take us.

That is the best case scenario for the Republican party to rebuild into something worth having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,430,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Pennsylvania's "Sore Loser Law" forced his hand. Had he lost in the Republican primary, he would have been prevented from pursuing the same office on another party ticket, so he switched while he could. I'd be pissed if I was a Pennsylvania Republican who voted for Specter.
Good point. Although as Specter himself made clear, "I will not be an automatic 60th vote." So he could also end up being another Zell Miller, the former Democratic Senator from Georgia who gave the keynote address at the 2004 GOP Convention!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Good point. Although as Specter himself made clear, "I will not be an automatic 60th vote." So he could also end up being another Zell Miller, the former Democratic Senator from Georgia who gave the keynote address at the 2004 GOP Convention!
Here in PA that is becoming a major concern and despite Obama's pledge to support Spector, along with Gov Rendell, there are quite a few Democrats who have ok'd the deal and might never do so.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 PM

167 posts, read 395,544 times
This is not good. I am very upset! Not only does this mean more for the democrats, but also more happiness. To make matters worse, Obama has roughly 70% approval.
I am not an extreme, right-wing, conservative, republican. I'm a moderate. Even for me, this yet another blow. Not good at all.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,566,362 times
Dems will now have 60 votes!

The idea that you can assume that all these people will vote the same way is absolutely sick. Don't we have any senators who know how to think for themselves? Are these senators so afraid that they cannot function in congress if they don't vote with their party? I thought these were senators representating their states.

My husband and I were watching the senate in action today and he said, "If this is the way our representatives are serving their country, maybe they should all go home and let someone that knows the constitution go to Washington and do the job." They were wasteing their time putting together a hate crime bill that not only is unnecessary because the laws against crime are already there, but is by form, unconstitutional.

It was pathetic! I am saying this now before the bill gets to be "law" because I won't be able to do so without fear after it is made law.

One of the few senators that made any sense said that they may have enough votes and probably would pass the bill, but that would not make it right. I agree.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,557,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
The best thing that could happen to the current GOP is for it to disintegrate further and wake up the true conservatives out there who realize they have been riding a hijacked ship with the neocons for too long. Once that happens and more sensible candidates arise, a lot of the moderate Dems and independents will join when they see how far left the looney Dems in power really want to take us.

That is the best case scenario for the Republican party to rebuild into something worth having.
I kinda agree with this...all except the 'looney Dems in power' part.
Obama is nothing if not a centrist...look at his policy....look at how many lefties he's upset.

There *are* some stray ideas and functions that conservatism holds true that are useful and necessary to this country.
Just like there are ideas and philosophies held by the left that we need, as a country, in order to prosper.

Hopefully, until more moderate parties become active...
these two will somehow *balance* each other out without tearing the country in two.

Anyways, after 8 long years, this news positively made my day!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,015,993 times
Quote:
Why would that be a bad thing? To me it would just say the GOP can't find any good speakers in the wingnut rank and file, they have to rely on a moderate who is now a democrat.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,015,993 times
If you haven't see it yet, here's a classic: Arlen Specter Contacts Donkey Flu.

Arlen Specter Contracts Donkey Flu | April 28th | ColbertNation.com

Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,430,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

But isn't that the dilemma within the GOP right now.... defining what is a "true" conservative (neo-cons, theo-cons, corporate-cons, paleo-cons... what)?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,889,347 times
Quote:
But isn't that the dilemma within the GOP right now.... defining what is a "true" conservative (neo-cons, theo-cons, corporate-cons, paleo-cons... what)?
I just hope the dems never fall into that foolish trap. Can you imagine getting caught up in trying to define the "true liberal"? That's just about the fastest way there is to destroy party unity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies